5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 is much better but…

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply/info. Since my truck is brand new, I would think it has the latest update, but not sure how that works? I did set up my system to get OTA updates off my wifi .. but how do I check to see if I have the latest update? I guess I'll be patient and hope it's the software .. not a hardware issue.
Look on page 1 of this thread. There’s pictures of settings to show you where to look. The nice thing about this forum (not this thread only) is most of the time if you start at the beginning of any thread and look/read through it, your questions/issues have been answered and asked over and over most of the time.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
For a time I thought maybe version d was going in the right direction but this week it has been worse that ever. Crashes, glitches, the supper annoying buzzing crash is back again and a new thing, my clock now disappears randomly. I see a lot of members asking about upgrading to UC5, I might start asking about ‘upgrading’ to UC4

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Oh not sure I mentioned it in this thread/ forum but my dealer replaced my whole radio back in December, I knew there was no hardware problem but let them do their thing anyway and of course it made zero difference. Other posters if you are having problems, call, complain and keep calling and complaining.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
2022 RAM 2500 with UConnect 5. Trying to get my screen to switch to night mode. Had to drive 50+ miles in unfamiliar territory and was constantly blinded by the bright screen. I know I can reduce the dash lights on the switch next to the Headlights, but I don't want to reduce the dash lights, just have the UConnect Screen go into night mode. My cheap $100 aftermarket radio in my last vehicle did this automatically.

Does anyone know how to make this happen? I've already went into the setting and checked the Auto Box, but I can not change the lighting from 1-6 on the next two lines of data as they're greyed out and and you can't make changes.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
2022 RAM 2500 with UConnect 5. Trying to get my screen to switch to night mode. Had to drive 50+ miles in unfamiliar territory and was constantly blinded by the bright screen. I know I can reduce the dash lights on the switch next to the Headlights, but I don't want to reduce the dash lights, just have the UConnect Screen go into night mode. My cheap $100 aftermarket radio in my last vehicle did this automatically.

Does anyone know how to make this happen? I've already went into the setting and checked the Auto Box, but I can not change the lighting from 1-6 on the next two lines of data as they're greyed out and and you can't make changes.
I’m wondering if you have the dash or interior lights turned all the way on which, if I recall correctly, prevents the radio from dimming. There’s a little click you’ll feel between full bright and bright all the time for the dash/interior lights.

Just a thought.

Also noticed you have the 2500. There’s a 5th Gen HD forum HERE, if you have HD questions you’ll get more help there. Welcome to the forums.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
I’m wondering if you have the dash or interior lights turned all the way on which, if I recall correctly, prevents the radio from dimming. There’s a little click you’ll feel between full bright and bright all the time for the dash/interior lights.

Just a thought.

Also noticed you have the 2500. There’s a 5th Gen HD forum HERE, if you have HD questions you’ll get more help there. Welcome to the forums.
Thanks! I tried to adjust the settings within the UConnect 5 system both with the dimmer switch on all the way as well as half way with the dash lights turned down. Still can not adjust the lighting between 1-6 on the display because that area seems to be greyed out.

Yes! I'm already a member of the other Forum, but thought I'd post my problem here on the UConnect Forum.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Thanks! I tried to adjust the settings within the UConnect 5 system both with the dimmer switch on all the way as well as half way with the dash lights turned down. Still can not adjust the lighting between 1-6 on the display because that area seems to be greyed out.

Yes! I'm already a member of the other Forum, but thought I'd post my problem here on the UConnect Forum.
I don‘t think it has anything to do with software versions as mine has worked since day one and I’ve had 2 updates since Nov.

You said you had auto dark mode selected in settings. Did you uncheck that and try manually adjusting or do the adjustments stay greyed out? I’m thinking you have but just asking.

I know it’s a pain in the a$$ but have you tried a factory reset? (I think it can be done from settings) If you have I’m assuming again that didn’t help either. If not then it’s something worth trying.

As you are, I’m at a loss why it won’t work.

Thought I would mention the other forum incase you didn’t know. Glad your over there also. 👍🏼

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
I don‘t think it has anything to do with software versions as mine has worked since day one and I’ve had 2 updates since Nov.

You said you had auto dark mode selected in settings. Did you uncheck that and try manually adjusting or do the adjustments stay greyed out? I’m thinking you have but just asking.

I know it’s a pain in the a$$ but have you tried a factory reset? (I think it can be done from settings) If you have I’m assuming again that didn’t help either. If not then it’s something worth trying.

As you are, I’m at a loss why it won’t work.

Thought I would mention the other forum incase you didn’t know. Glad your over there also. 👍🏼
Yep! I've tried both. If I click the Manual Radio Button I can adjust the mode from 1-6 with the Headlights off. But I still can't adjust the mode with the headlights on.

Since the headlights are on during night driving you would think you could adjust the display from 1-6 with Headlights on.

Clicking the radio button for Auto should automatically place the screen in night mode so it isn't so bright.

Maybe I need to wait until till its dark outside and then try to adjust the settings.... LOL

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Yep! I've tried both. If I click the Manual Radio Button I can adjust the mode from 1-6 with the Headlights off. But I still can't adjust the mode with the headlights on.

Since the headlights are on during night driving you would think you could adjust the display from 1-6 with Headlights on.

Clicking the radio button for Auto should automatically place the screen in night mode so it isn't so bright.

Maybe I need to wait until till its dark outside and then try to adjust the settings.... LOL
🙄🤨 maybe that would help. 😂😂

I’ll try a few things tonight also when I drive home. (well after I get home, don’t want to wreck the new truck 😂)

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

Looking at my settings tonight and wondering if you have the both Display Mode and Theme mode selected to Auto. See pic.

385D7DE4-80F8-4737-ABFD-2D051F6D2E9F.jpeg

I played with my dash brightness wheel and if I go past the little click to always max the radio defaults to daytime(light) mode. Once I reduced to right below the click you can feel, the radio defaults back to user settings mode and goes dark.

00CD14BE-8DD3-4F9A-B21C-0BD451ED536F.jpeg 949FB234-7410-47B9-A8DA-27B2D8B912D9.jpeg F35E8999-E176-4ED5-9DAA-7C53FEF66BF7.jpeg

Last edited:

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Looking at my settings tonight and wondering if you have the both Display Mode and Theme mode selected to Auto. See pic.

View attachment 118110

I played with my dash brightness wheel and if I go past the little click to always max the radio defaults to daytime(light) mode. Once I reduced to right below the click you can feel, the radio defaults back to user settings mode and goes dark.

View attachment 118105 View attachment 118106 View attachment 118104
OH PLEASE CHECK WITH TRUCK SITTING IDLE!! lol We don't need to wreck our new Trucks..... LOL

I'll have to check Theme Mode. Thought that was only to change theme colors. Can you adjust the brightness 1-6 with the Headlights On?

Cda3488

Reaction score
OH PLEASE CHECK WITH TRUCK SITTING IDLE!! lol We don't need to wreck our new Trucks..... LOL

I'll have to check Theme Mode. Thought that was only to change theme colors. Can you adjust the brightness 1-6 with the Headlights On?
I keep mine on top of the click and on dark mode. Love the color that way. Also have theme set to the third one that puts the red line on your center screen.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

If it didn’t work for you with dark checked. Change to auto there also and see if that helps. No I can’t make adjustments with display set to auto. Glad you found the power button.😂😂

Hint for a soft reset hold the power button down for approximately 15 seconds. Radio will reset.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

Did you change Theme mode to auto and did it help? No I can’t make adjustments with display set to auto. Glad you found the power button. 😂😂

Hint for a soft reset hold the power button down for approximately 15 seconds. Radio will reset.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
I keep mine on top of the click and on dark mode. Love the color that way. Also have theme set to the third one that puts the red line on your center screen.
Yeah.... Unfortunantely that's a little dark for me at my age and poor eye sight.... LOL

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Did you change Theme mode to auto and did it help? No I can’t make adjustments with display set to auto. Glad you found the power button. 😂😂

I've done a soft reset with no help. Guess its over to the dealership to get someone to show me how to do it. LOL

There is a reason you can adjust the screen brightness with the Headlights ON because no one need to be driving around at night with a bright screen light blinding them.

Cda3488

Reaction score
Yeah.... Unfortunantely that's a little dark for me at my age and poor eye sight.... LOL
Turn up the brightness, it only darkens the background not the text when you turn up the brightness.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score

View attachment 118110

View attachment 118105 View attachment 118106 View attachment 118104
OK! I played with mine as well. In the old days this wheel was used to make the dash lights go from nothing (Dark) and increase in brightness as you moved the wheel in the up direction until you reached the top position. Then you reached a bump whereas it you went past the bump you turned on the interior lights.

The wheel dial (Next to the Headlight Switch) in my Big Horn starting from the bottom position is Dark (No Dash Lights) but as you move it up the lighting doesn't increase. Once you reach the bump the Dash Lights are still off. When you go past the bump (Past the Click) the Dash Lights go to full bright but the interior lights do not come on.

Maybe my wheel doesn't work properly?

Earlier today I went to the dealer and was told to turn my lights to the ON position (Not Auto) Once you have the Headlights in the On Position you can change the brightness level with Lights On in the Manual Mode but not the Auto Mode.

As far as I can tell the Auto Mode does nothing..... LOL

OK! I played with mine as well. In the old days this wheel was used to make the dash lights go from nothing (Dark) and increase in brightness as you moved the wheel in the up direction until you reached the top position. Then you reached a bump whereas it you went past the bump you turned on the interior lights.

The wheel dial (Next to the Headlight Switch) in my Big Horn starting from the bottom position is Dark (No Dash Lights) but as you move it up the lighting doesn't increase. Once you reach the bump the Dash Lights are still off. When you go past the bump (Past the Click) the Dash Lights go to full bright but the interior lights do not come on.

Maybe my wheel doesn't work properly?

Earlier today I went to the dealer and was told to turn my lights to the ON position (Not Auto) Once you have the Headlights in the On Position you can change the brightness level with Lights On in the Manual Mode but not the Auto Mode.

As far as I can tell the Auto Mode does nothing..... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread