5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED 3rd Brake Light 2019+

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so those bed lights are pretty dang bright. Almost blindingly bright. But better than too dim. They could be pointed a bit lower towards the bed. But again I am happy with them.

d1cee4e5e5d91de8cd67939138189a91.jpg

7cdf7c434c2e7495a03b3c194c650822.jpg

321b327f2bcc038c3c7c201daafbfbcf.jpg

6f50e75ba17bb7011bd1b8d9c1cfc961.jpg

59e9e2d57ee3a56816b48f18c570bbd5.jpg

Looks like right in your eyes…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500DFW

Reaction score
Looks like right in your eyes…

I really think they could have done a bit better with pointing them more towards the bed. But it doesn’t shine any more in your face than the OEM style with LED bulbs in it. It’s just REALLY bright. Again, I would have preferred a few things to be different but for $180 to not have FOB issues and have it match the rest of the truck it’s worth it for me.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really think they could have done a bit better with pointing them more towards the bed. But it doesn’t shine any more in your face than the OEM style with LED bulbs in it. It’s just REALLY bright. Again, I would have preferred a few things to be different but for $180 to not have FOB issues and have it match the rest of the truck it’s worth it for me.

That’s the one thing I hated with switching over to the super bright LED cargo lights. They blind me. Especially when the tonneau cover was closed up. Whatever. Lol

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Well... I did it. I'm really pleased with it. We'll see how the key fob does tomorrow. That seal is thicccccc which makes me feel better anyways. Took some effort to get it flush and I probably overtightened everything but it looks good to me. Adds some character to the cab. Thanks for all the updates @JBowman !

PXL_20220120_025422826.NIGHT.jpg

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well... I did it. I'm really pleased with it. We'll see how the key fob does tomorrow. That seal is thicccccc which makes me feel better anyways. Took some effort to get it flush and I probably overtightened everything but it looks good to me. Adds some character to the cab. Thanks for all the updates @JBowman !

View attachment 117697
Haha nice! And no problem! Just know…. If you do experience fob issues then I guess there is no hope and you’re just going to have to upgrade the truck 😂. It looks really good though! I’m still happy with mine and really digging the new look!

A133AC29-50A5-417A-B187-748F96151A36.jpeg

2020GCM

Reaction score
Well I had to order one as well, lol...Thanks for the getlit code! It is 0 degF out now so I doubt I'll be installing it before spring. From those that have received theirs already, is it fair to say the gasket is substantial enough that there is no reason to change it to the DIY marine rubber type?

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Well I had to order one as well, lol...Thanks for the getlit code! It is 0 degF out now so I doubt I'll be installing it before spring. From those that have received theirs already, is it fair to say the gasket is substantial enough that there is no reason to change it to the DIY marine rubber type?
I would say the gasket is thick enough myself. It's much thicker than gasket on the OEM unit. We'll see how it holds up but we did receive quite a bit of heavy rain turning to snow last night and everything inside is dry as a bone.

DeV

Reaction score
The main reason I switched over to the Recon was because the guy who blacked out my tails painted over the cargo lights - I wanted him to just do the brake light, but he made my cargo lights more dim than I wanted them with the blackout....so I'll happily take too bright over not enough...

It would be cool if there was something you could hang over the light with a mirror to aim the light down (of course it would only be viable if you were going to be rummaging around or in and out of the bed in the dark)

Anyways....if anyone ever wants to buy a smoked OEM 3rd brake light with the LASFIT bright LEDs that aren't supposed to interfere with the fob, let me know....

Also - I wish RAM would have made the 3rd brake light function as a running light as well....the RECON would look really good if it had a dimmer running light and then the bright brake reds

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m following to see if there are any issues with leaks after installing this brake light. If it doesn’t leak like most do, I’ll be upgrading this spring.

DuckySaurusRex

Reaction score
has anyone tried shaving the gasket material down a few mm? or are yall just man handling it into position

1500DFW

Reaction score
has anyone tried shaving the gasket material down a few mm? or are yall just man handling it into position

I don’t really see how you could shave it down evenly. It would be easier to remove it and put a new gasket/seal from Home Depot or something. But honestly if you just press the weight of your shoulder into it and screw it in little by little, each screw evenly, it goes on just fine.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed the fixture.. Not that hard. The seal is nice and thick. I wouldn’t recommend shaving some off. It’s 36 degrees here. No cracking noises at all when tightening it down. Lean your weight on your other arm. While leaning your weight up against the fixture, tighten screws down with your other hand and arm.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I see that they offer smoked sequential blinker's for the side mirror in certain places but not on their website... anyone else come across these?

fireberd350

Reaction score
Be very careful torqueing this light down. Mine cracked and I was hand tightening. I suspect the 15 degree temps were a factor but be careful none the less.

Huge shout out to Clay at RECON though. I owned up to breaking this and asked him if he could help me out and he delivered a more than fair offer for a replacement. I give RECON my highest recommendation. I also have their tail lights which are 👌

related: anyone wanna buy a slightly cracked cargo light 🤪
1643210263581.png

Users who are viewing this thread