5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change prices

Beatle9999

Reaction score
What are you guys paying for an oil change? The local dealers charge anywhere from 269-299 here is socal. I found a diesel shop that will do it for 220, or I can just do it myself. 2021 1500 limited, should I use the dealer until I’m out of warranty or just do it myself? What do you guys think??

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in MD. This morning I got a complimentary oil change, but the cost the dealer would have charged I’m pointing to in the below pic.

For my next oil change, I’ve picked up two 5 quart jugs of quaker state 5W 40 European synthetic for $41.
Edit: Turns out there’s no way to buy the proper filter element without the housing, so the filter cost the cheapest I can find it without a wholesale discount is $43.

491FE1CA-E4D3-4E83-84A9-CB38B107C56F.jpeg

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The answer is they will charge as much as they can if you’ll pay for it. Look for coupons on their website or FCA website. You’ll still overpay but you can save a little.

It appears they charged you $14.35 a quart for 8 quarts but the Ecodiesel takes 8.5 so you’re most likely 1/2 a quart low. And you can buy your own spec oil for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Then, they charged you $97.95 for a. Oil filter that I can get all day long from Amazon or Walmart (genuine Mopar) for $50.

Finally, they nailed you $40 for labor and $7 for shop supplies.

I’ve done my own from day one and saved both money and aggravation as I know it gets done correctly without a mess dripping afterwards. The oil change in an Ecodiesel is light years easier than a Hemi thus I wouldn’t pay any dealer $40 for time to do it plus the shagging they do with the oil/filter pricing.

And don’t get me started on the fuel filter replacement as that is where the dealer puts his kid through college! 😉 That is the easiest job in the world and can save you big bucks if you do it yourself.

Last edited:

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
My last oil change I paid $55 for full synthetic, which doesn't really make it worth doing them myself. I would NEVER pay $250+ for an oil change!!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last oil change I paid $55 for full synthetic, which doesn't really make it worth doing them myself. I would NEVER pay $250+ for an oil change!!
$55 for a Hemi…correct? No comparison to the cost of an Ecodiesel as the filters alone are a lot more expensive than the Hemi oil filters.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look into the Mopar.com prepaid oil changes. I bought 4 Penzoil Platinum Euro changes/rotations for $113.75 each ($455).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The answer is they will charge as much as they can if you’ll pay for it. Look for coupons on their website or FCA website. You’ll still overpay but you can save a little.

It appears they charged you $14.35 a quart for 8 quarts but the Ecodiesel takes 8.5 so you’re most likely 1/2 a quart low. And you can buy your own spec oil for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Then, they charged you $97.95 for a. Oil filter that I can get all day long from Amazon or Walmart (genuine Mopar) for $50.

Finally, they nailed you $40 for labor and $7 for shop supplies.

I’ve done my own from day one and saved both money and aggravation as I know it gets done correctly without a mess dripping afterwards. The oil change in an Ecodiesel is light years easier than a Hemi thus I wouldn’t pay any dealer $40 for time to do it plus the shagging they do with the oil/filter pricing.

And don’t get me started on the fuel filter replacement as that is where the dealer puts his kid through college! 😉 That is the easiest job in the world and can save you big bucks if you do it yourself.
Did you think they charged me? I got that free, but it was the invoice before adjustments. I was illustrating my example that shows on the opposite side of the country, dealers charge pretty close to the same amount the OP is talking about.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you think they charged me? I got that free, but it was the invoice before adjustments. I was illustrating my example that shows on the opposite side of the country, dealers charge pretty close to the same amount the OP is talking about.
No, I knew yours was free based upon your post and tried to respond to both the Op and you in one post. I tried to be efficient by using your bill as an example and I failed miserably - was sitting in the Vets office moth my dog and shouldn’t try to walk and chew gum at the same time. 😉

You are on the right track changing your own as it is so easy in the Ecodiesel, will save you money and no aggregation since you won’t be getting hosed by the dealer.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, I knew yours was free based upon your post and tried to respond to both the Op and you in one post. I tried to be efficient by using your bill as an example and I failed miserably - was sitting in the Vets office moth my dog and shouldn’t try to walk and chew gum at the same time. 😉

You are on the right track changing your own as it is so easy in the Ecodiesel, will save you money and no aggregation since you won’t be getting hosed by the dealer.
Ah ok. Looks like we are both messing up on examples today. Today I had to change a post in the Zone vs BDS thread b/c two people couldn’t understand the example I was using and thought I was telling the OP to buy a part he didn’t need. I’m feeling like I’m going crazy or something.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Look into the Mopar.com prepaid oil changes. I bought 4 Penzoil Platinum Euro changes/rotations for $113.75 each ($455).
That **CAN** be a risky move. I bought my prepaid oil changes 2 years ago - and have used them at my dealer without issues. Just did the 4th/last oil change.

HOWEVER, if you read the fine print on the contract for Mopar Prepaid oil changes, it states .... "Plan cover upto $11x.xx dollar". At least mine did and clearly stated that dealers can charge over that.

Again, my dealer never gave me fuss about it and changed it with factory spec oil - however, there is potential that dealer may say "Plan only covers $11x... you are responsible for the different because we charge $249 or $299".

I had paid $400 for 4 oil changes - and the plan said it would cover something like $113ish.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked into it but apparently the 2 closest dealerships don’t accept the prepaids. I’m just gonna do it myself.
It's a mopar service contract. I have never heard of a dealer turning them away. These are probably the same dealers that won't warranty a vehicle unless it was purchased there.

Beatle9999

Reaction score
The lady said there wasn’t enough cushion with the molar oil change plans. Sounds like BS. Can anyone post
A link to the oil used for the 21 eco diesel. I went on oreilly but there’s a ton of different oils…

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The lady said there wasn’t enough cushion with the molar oil change plans. Sounds like BS. Can anyone post
A link to the oil used for the 21 eco diesel. I went on oreilly but there’s a ton of different oils…
The approved oils that I can get which meet the MS-12991 and API SN spec are as follows (there are others, but these are what I can readily obtain):

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXFCC3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40 (https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ful...V4vbjBx2AeAzEEAQYASABEgIR3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40 (https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...VevHjBx3RlQ3OEAQYASABEgKMYPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) - can also be purchased from Walmart when in stock.
Mopar 68231020AA 5W-40 (Bottom of my list due to the ridiculous price the dealership parts department charges for their unicorn oil).

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The approved oils that I can get which meet the MS-12991 and API SN spec are as follows (there are others, but these are what I can readily obtain):

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXFCC3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40 (https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ful...V4vbjBx2AeAzEEAQYASABEgIR3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40 (https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...VevHjBx3RlQ3OEAQYASABEgKMYPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) - can also be purchased from Walmart when in stock.
Mopar 68231020AA 5W-40 (Bottom of my list due to the ridiculous price the dealership parts department charges for their unicorn oil).
That mopar oil is repackaged Penzoil. We order the mopar part # and get pennzoil bottles.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That **CAN** be a risky move. I bought my prepaid oil changes 2 years ago - and have used them at my dealer without issues. Just did the 4th/last oil change.

HOWEVER, if you read the fine print on the contract for Mopar Prepaid oil changes, it states .... "Plan cover upto $11x.xx dollar". At least mine did and clearly stated that dealers can charge over that.

Again, my dealer never gave me fuss about it and changed it with factory spec oil - however, there is potential that dealer may say "Plan only covers $11x... you are responsible for the different because we charge $249 or $299".

I had paid $400 for 4 oil changes - and the plan said it would cover something like $113ish.
According to Mopar the dealer has to accept it as it is on the computer just like your Maxcare plan. I used 10, $46 changes on my Gen 2 and 2 of the 4 on my Gen 3 with the latest service manager bitching that the loose money on them....what a crock. Mopar entered into a contract with Penzoil in Jan of 2020 so dealers have access to cheap oil.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That mopar oil is repackaged Penzoil. We order the mopar part # and get pennzoil bottles.
Agreed. The Mopar oil purchased from the dealerships is a waste of money. I looked at my dealer (when he sat a case of Pennzoil on the counter and quoted me a ridiculous price) and asked him if he was aware I could get the same Pennzoil from Amazon cheaper. He stated yes but that I’d have ti wait for it to be delivered. I smiled, said I was a patient man and wished him a good day.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No way I'm crawling under my truck and then rotating tires when I can have them do it for $113 or even their normal price of $159 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread