5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Level kit: top hat hockey puck vs rough country loaded strut

Tripnet

Reaction score
Just finished (after a long day) pulling my hockey puck top hat (non spring pre load) 2” level kit to install a rough country 2” loaded strut kit on my 2019 Laramie crew cab.

I had the puck leveling kit and BFG ko2 LT275/70/18 installed within a week or two of having the truck. The ride has always been brutal. Choppy, bumpy, vibrations you name it, it was not fun to drive this truck.
finally having grown tired of the ride I spent the $350 and got the rough country loaded strut kit hoping for a more comfortable ride.

TL;DR - Best money I’ve spent on this truck since acquiring 2 years ago.

if you’re considering a level go the route of the strut kit no questions asked. Ride is slightly stiffer than stock but a hell of a lot more comfortable than with hockey puck leveling kit.

install was… difficult… If toure doing it yourself make sure tou have the right tools. One thing I wish I had was a good ball joint separator kit. I whacked and whacked the spindle with hammers of all sort and no luck. I had to run to oReilly for a ball joint separator (that I had to grind down to fit the spindle) and separated it with ease. Could’ve saved myself hours with that tool!
Everything else was self explanatory and many good YouTube instructions on the install. If I had to do it again, I’d pay a shop to deal with the headache…

Hope this post could help with those considering different leveling kits… spend the extra money for the strut replacement, especially if going with E rated LT tires!!

Sierrus

Reaction score
Good to know! I have the rough country loaded strut myself (and by have it I mean they are sitting in my basement), getting them installed by a shop so I don't have to deal with the headache on Thursday, I am expecting it to be a bit stiffer.. Isn't necessarly a bad thing as it rides like a car, but def don't want it to ping off everything like I hear the puck lifts are doing..

U

User_34235

Tripnet.....maybe I am missing something but you said the ride was rougher after the install of new tires and the spacer. What have you noticed now that you have the new parts on? Do you think the tires played much of a roll into the rough ride? Just curious as there are a ton of posts on here talking about the spacers and none have mentioned a rough ride after the installation. I ask because I have a set of Motofab 2" spacers in the office waiting to install. Thanks

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not trying to toss assumptions around too much, but it seems more like the tires messed with the ride, and the new struts have canceled out the roughness increase from the tires.

speedbyu

[hacked account]
Reaction score

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a 2” readylift pre-load spacer, which many said would make my ride rougher but honestly other than being up a little higher I don’t notice any difference.

But I am on Falken WildPeak AT3W 275/55R20 which are XL load tires

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/