5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade 2019 RAM 1500 Infotainment to Uconnect 5

Imadjiddawi

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Info: I currently own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Info: I currently own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.
Updating software as it’s been said over and over will not be possible. Replacement of the radio module and other components is what they are attempting.

SmileitsMe

Reaction score
Also interested what is needed!
as my RAM in Austria gets no OTA Update cause we are not able to use the lte Module.. so Updates of uc is done by USB by my dealer
So therefore it will be interesting to upgrade my 2020 Gen5 whith 2022 stuff :)

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
now That I’ve been able to use both for awhile, I’ll simply say that I can’t imagine the cost of replacing a U4 to a U5 would be worth it…. Don’t get me wrong, U5 is cool and has a few new features but it ain’t worth tons of $$$ to do the swap. In my opinion of course, and I’m a geek who like a new iPhone every few years so…. 🤷‍♂️

id recommend before investing heavily to do the swap go spend some time with a U5 system…. I think you’ll say ‘meh’ And maybe happy with you big free U4 instead of the buggy as hell U5. 🙄

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
No Joy on using the Old screen with the new module. Another member built me an adapter harness for the new plugs, everything plugged in alright, but no signal to the screen.
Now if you could just find someone close to you with a ’22 and new 12” screen willing to let you pull theirs and test in yours. 😂😂🤔🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
Now if you could just find someone close to you with a ’22 and new 12” screen willing to let you pull there’s and test in yours. 😂😂🤔🤷‍♂️
New Screen came in last week, that didn't fire up either, we're thinking the Signal cable between the Module & touch screen may be different also. Jimmy has a few cables on order to test out, but of course they're all backordered with no ETA. So the endless waiting game continues...

theRamguy

Reaction score
You definitely won’t be able to upgrade your current software to Uconnect 5, but should be able to swap in the Uconnect 5 radio module. The single main radio connector you currently have will need to be adapted to two connectors for the Uconnect 5 radio module. Also, the USB cable that links the media hub to the radio module uses a different connector port on the UC5 module, and we’re trying to hunt down that part number. A few of us have already ordered Uconnect 5 radio modules to try out. I’m not sure if the current 12” screen used with UC4 needs to be swapped out with a new screen, but we’re hoping not.
Jimmy07 please keep us posted

Gregbj33

Reaction score
I have a question. I have. A 22 with Uconnect5 and the 8.4 non nav. Can I upgrade to the 12” screen and keep 5 or will it go back to unconnect4. Like Will older 12” unit work on the newer software?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I have a question. I have. A 22 with Uconnect5 and the 8.4 non nav. Can I upgrade to the 12” screen and keep 5 or will it go back to unconnect4. Like Will older 12” unit work on the newer software?
You’d stay the same IF you can get the screen and module. You can’t use older software/modules/screens if you want to keep UC 5

g00fy

Reaction score
Nice!

Did it take a screen or just the module, cable and some tweaks?

(I'm sure you guys will make a post...)
All of the above, even with all the correct hardware and settings adjusted, still took a bunch of screwing around to finally get the screen to turn on.

Once I got my screen to fire up I immediately updated it to firmware version C, then I played with it a bit. I gotta say the wireless Android Auto is pretty slick, however the rest of the GUI looks and feels incomplete to me.

I think the radio has to sit in the truck for the night to fully sync up with the BCM. There were a lot of vehicle settings showing up that were irrelevant to my truck, most notably was the setting for an alert if the sliding door got stopped or something.

I'll post back tomorrow morning after I get to take the truck out for a drive.

g00fy

Reaction score
So this morning I got almost everything working, satellite radio is on hold because the UC5 satellite fakra connector is keyed differently than the UC4 and for whatever reason the satellite antenna is the only fakra cable in the truck that you can't change the connector end.

Also for some reason the UC5 is completely ignoring the CVPM, so none of the cameras work, and none of the controls for them show up. I'm hoping maybe upgrading to the version D software will help with this but I'm not very confident in that.

g00fy

Reaction score
Been going nuts trying to get this thing to display any hint of a back up camera or surround view, nothing, won't even give me the blue screen. I don't know if it's not receiving a signal or what, I know the uconnect knows when I put the truck in reverse because it disables the auto dimming mirror button when I put the truck in reverse so I don't really know what to do here.

g00fy

Reaction score
Incredible. So UC5 is possible and with 2022 screen and radio module programmed for earlier trucks like a 2020 model year? Thanks.
Yes, it's just expensive, and things aren't 100% ironed out yet, none of those softkeys in the bottom of the picture work yet.

And to be totally honest other than wireless android Auto, the UC5 kinda sucks. It definitely looks and feels like an Incomplete beta especially compared to the UC4 which looks and feels polished and complete albeit limited in its capabilites. On top of looking incomplete, it also performs like it's incomplete, I haven't had enough time with it to experience any of the glitches that others have dealt with. Now that I got enough of it working, i'll wrap up the hardware install and start running it full time, and i'll probably start to encounter those glitches others complained about.

I will say it's pretty obvious that this hardware has a lot more potential than the UC4 hardware, and there's some hints of that in the newer GUI features, but at the rate Uconnect is fixing glitches, it's gonna take them a LONG time before they finish up the GUI and really take advantage of the extra horsepower the new hardware has.

vbd777

Reaction score
Yes, it's just expensive, and things aren't 100% ironed out yet, none of those softkeys in the bottom of the picture work yet.

And to be totally honest other than wireless android Auto, the UC5 kinda sucks. It definitely looks and feels like an Incomplete beta especially compared to the UC4 which looks and feels polished and complete albeit limited in its capabilites. On top of looking incomplete, it also performs like it's incomplete, I haven't had enough time with it to experience any of the glitches that others have dealt with. Now that I got enough of it working, i'll wrap up the hardware install and start running it full time, and i'll probably start to encounter those glitches others complained about.

I will say it's pretty obvious that this hardware has a lot more potential than the UC4 hardware, and there's some hints of that in the newer GUI features, but at the rate Uconnect is fixing glitches, it's gonna take them a LONG time before they finish up the GUI and really take advantage of the extra horsepower the new hardware has.
Thanks for the assessment. I like the hardware for UC5 and its supposed to be "4x faster". I also like how the newer versions take advantage of the screen real estate so I am personally thinking about investing in this newer system and ride the fixes as I have done so often in other arenas. Looking forward to the results all are doing here and the inevitable list's and how to's that I will be capturing and investigating :). In the meantime I use an apple CarPlay wired to wireless dongle on my 8.4" UC4 2020 system and squint my eyes slightly at this "tiny screen". :)

Users who are viewing this thread