5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actual MPGs

C012mill

Reaction score
Hey all. What mpgs are you getting for you 3.6 v6s? I'm looking to get a 2019 1500 (north edition 4x4) with the v6. There seems to be mixed reviews. Is this engine too small for this truck I'd you are doing a lot of interstate driving? I am looking for the utility of a truck, I'm not using it to tow or haul everyday. Any help would be appreciated.

1lowcab

Reaction score
In the summer with summer blend gas I was getting 23-24mpg back and forth to work running 89 octane. 16 miles each way, hilly 55mph road that I usually maintain 61-63 mph on.
Now that is cold here in OH with the crap winter blend I have dropped to about 20 mpg, I also switched over to 87 octane as the 89 winter blend wasn't getting me any better returns.

I have hauled over 1400lbs of capstone in the bed and I have pulled over a ton of gravel with my trailer and both times I never really felt the load.
It does not struggle to merge on the freeway and will happily cruise along at 80-85mph. It will also tag the speed limiter at 105mph surprisingly quick.

All in all I'm happy with mine.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I average 18ish around here in Michigan. My drive is 15 miles, 10 of which is freeway. I might be a little harder on the pedal than I should be too though. Also, I have 3.21 gears

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

C012mill

Reaction score
I average 18ish around here in Michigan. My drive is 15 miles, 10 of which is freeway. I might be a little harder on the pedal than I should be too though. Also, I have 3.21 gears

Is the any truth to the 3.6 vvt lag when speeding up?

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Not sure what you're referring to. I havent noticed any lag though, except on cold days it hesitates and the gas pedal doesn't act normal for a few miles

C012mill

Reaction score
Not sure what you're referring to. I havent noticed any lag though, except on cold days it hesitates and the gas pedal doesn't act normal for a few miles

Just something I read. It was saying there was a lag when accelerating (especially on hills)

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Mine does downshift often over hills but I wouldn't say there's any lag. The motor itself is good and strong, still really quick given it's a v6 with low gears

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Would guess it’s due to having 3.21 gears instead of 3.55

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have 3.21 gears and I don't notice any lag. It's been a great truck for my purposes.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

1lowcab

Reaction score
I think you are talking about the drive by wire lag, all vehicles with the drive by wire system will have a little lag to them. However this one is not as bad as others I have had and you can always get a pedal commander or a HikeIt to get rid of it.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Pentastar is a great engine, I had the slightly less powerful version in my JGC, no complaints.

I think it will do just fine, you only really need the Hemi if you are towing heavy semi-often, or just want the sound and extra pep. Towing heavy frequently with the V6 may wear it out faster. Otherwise, you get a more fuel efficient and less complicated engine.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
The Pentastar is a great engine, I had the slightly less powerful version in my JGC, no complaints.

I think it will do just fine, you only really need the Hemi if you are towing heavy semi-often, or just want the sound and extra pep. Towing heavy frequently with the V6 may wear it out faster. Otherwise, you get a more fuel efficient and less complicated engine.
Less complicated and proven engine as well.

GrinchKing05

Reaction score
I was getting 18-20 with mixed town/highway driving. Then I put a more aggressive tire on it but not much bigger, dropped it to 16-17mpg mixed driving. My truck has the 3.21 gears. I haven’t experienced any delay as mentioned above. Just drove through some snow without issues. Using the auto 4WD dropped my mpg by 1. Outside of wanting to buy and tow a 30ft camping trailer I have no regrets getting the smaller engine. And the sound (exhaust) isn’t terrible. If I ever trade it in it’ll be for a 2500/3500 to tow a trailer.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I did see a video on YouTube where a guy ripped apart this motor after 600k miles. It only blew because the chain tensioner was maxed out and was having timing issues. Good watch if you have a spare 8 minutes

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2019 1500 North Edition with the v6. It's delmonico red with the premium lights. Cant wait for it to get here!
Congrats!

Threesuns1

Reaction score
I ordered the V6 with 3:21 rear in November and after reading the many posts I was concerned I may have made a mistake (I test drove a quad cab). My truck came in Friday 1/28/22 and I was ready to walk away from it if it didn't perform as I had hoped. I test drove it and was pleasantly surprised, good acceleration, and didn't search for gears on hills on the highway or back roads. (It does down shift from 8th to 7th at 65 to 70 mph on the highway) With 90 miles back roads and about 10 miles highway my lie-o meter is saying 18 mpg, and that's with some idling while I played with the settings on radio and 7" cluster. My son who purchased a 5.7 with 3:92 gears in 2020 test drive mine today and was impressed with the little V6 with the high gears. When the weather warms up, I'll be heading 180 miles each way to the eastern Shore of Maryland (flat lands) two or three times a month to our shore house, and I expect to get 24-25 mpg. I'll report back when I start making those trips.

If I was going to pull travel trailer, I would have gone with the hemi. I'll only be towing a 17' aluminum boat about a mile to the ramp so it will be fine. 2022 Ram.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread