5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ACTUALLY running 5w-30 or even 10w-30? Thoughts? Experience? Any REAL TRUTH to throwing a code running higher weight oil (no conjecture please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Our companies 2018 GMC Sierra got the oil sampled after a rocker issue, we were denied because it was the wrong grade was used at a Walmart oil change. Again, we are just guys on the internet talking about our experiences, I wouldn't just choose one story because it makes you feel better about the choice you want to go with. Do some more research and get more advice.

Either way, from what DIRTRIDER says, you still have to prove you used the correct oil through maintenance receipts. You may want to ask DIRTRIDER if he would be denied warranty for using a non-spec oil if he didn't work at that dealership.

I would recommend you call your local dealership and ask them, ask the service advisor or lead tech, about what you want to do and if there are consequences for it. He may just say no worries, go right ahead. Another dealership may be the opposite.
would not matter what the dealer said today. that person might be gone tomorrow.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There have been a few posts on here of guys who switched to 0W-20 and claimed it got rid of their Hemi tick. As well as guys running 5W-30 who still have the Hemi tick. Seems the weight of the oil isn't really the issue.

I'd like to see those posts. In any case, it's Redline's formulation that kills the tick, not the weight. The thick weight is better for the engine as a whole, especially when it gets hot or when towing in the summer.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have worked in auto dealership service dept’s for 35 years , serv advisor/serv manager, both Ford & Dodge, and have never been asked by the manufacturer for an oil sample, or heard of it being done , just maint reciepts, not to say they coudn’t, but never seen it myself. I use PUP 5w30 in both my ‘14 & ‘ 19 Rams with no issues.
We've had a Hyundai that required an oil sample (plus all receipts for maintenance) before they would honor the warranty. My dad's Super Duty just had the same happen 2 months ago. There are plenty of reports online of FCA doing the same for any number of failures, including failed lifters on the HEMI.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome! Very Much appreciated! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear and see. Real user experience!

When I was a kid we used to go on a yearly father / son weekend dove hunt on a ranch west of Uvald, Texas that belonged to a friend of my dad’s.

At night wasn’t unusual to see a string of three or four headlights bumper to bumper out on the little two lane county asphalt road hauling ***.

The guy who owned the ranch told us kids we were looking at test cars racking up the mileage for endurance testing.

Unless you are willing to buy four Ram trucks and run them bumper to bumper for say 25,000 miles and then do engine tear downs to see the wear patterns with different oils you’ll never know if you have really done any good by using oil beyond what the manufacture recommends.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Some of us are perfectly fine with using the manufacturer's specified minimum grade oil: FCA MS-6395.
Some of us wouldn't think of deviating from that specified grade oil.
Some of us think the specified grade oil is a bit on the thin side and prefer to use a thicker grade that still meets FCA MS-6395.
It's all about what gives peace of mind.

Steve

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You forgot to state "minimum" when mentioning the "thicker" oil that still meets the same "minimum" spec Stallantis requires.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We've had a Hyundai that required an oil sample (plus all receipts for maintenance) before they would honor the warranty. My dad's Super Duty just had the same happen 2 months ago. There are plenty of reports online of FCA doing the same for any number of failures, including failed lifters on the HEMI.
I have replaced/overhauled no less than 100 engines at a dealership, the manufacturer never asks for an oil sample. We have asked for maintenance records/receipts. I have had aftermarket warranty run oil samples. I think its a dealer thing to do, not a manufacturer.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
Shell rotella 5/40 T6 in everything.
Ram 5.7
Ford E450 motorhome V10
Accord 2.4l
Vstrom 1000
Yz450f
Crf110
Pw50
Lawn mower
Power washer
No issues.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love it. The owners manual pointing, technical fables, warranty speculations, my friend's father's, second cousin's third ex-wife's husband's grandkids next door neighbor is an engineer for Stellantis and he says......

It's great stuff. 👍 Keep swinging at it. We'll get a Bill Nye opinion in here soon!

Meanwhile, make sure the oil you are using is a light caramel color and it's slippery, slippery is the important part. It could be a while on the debate.😎

Last edited:

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
Shell rotella 5/40 T4 in everything.
Ram 5.7
Ford E450 motorhome V10
Accord 2.4l
Vstrom 1000
Yz450f
Crf110
Pw50
Lawn mower
Power washer
No issues.
I love it. The owners manual pointing, technical fables, warranty speculations, my friend's father's, second cousin's third ex-wife's husband's grandkids next door neighbor is an engineerfor Stellantis and he says......

It's great stuff. 👍 Keep swinging at it. We'll get a Bill Nye opinion in here soon!

Meanwhile, make sure the oil you are using is a light caramel color and it's slippery, slippery is the important part. It could be a while on the debate.😎
HA!!!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love it. The owners manual pointing, technical fables, warranty speculations, my friend's father's, second cousin's third ex-wife's husband's grandkids next door neighbor is an engineer for Stellantis and he says......

It’s ok bro, I’m certified
4498B28B-B1AD-46D6-8A7A-D9DF053EDA21.jpeg

Kevinch

Reaction score
Why not just use what the manufacturer recommends? I mean, they engineered & built the engine & it's been around a while so I would think they know what the lubrication requirements are & what viscosity oil will keep the engines from returning for warranty work due to lubrication issues. Personally, I always use the viscosity (or viscosities) recommended by the manufacturer, I've been using full synthetic lubricants since the mid 1990s & always change my oil at every 5k miles. I have yet to need an engine torn into for some sort of wear issue - or any issue for that matter. That includes a few Subarus with both 4 & 6 cylinder engines with over 250,000 miles on them when sold, a Nissan Sentra, a GMC Terrain, and a few motorcycles of various manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread