5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BAK MX4 vs X4s

myownstatus

Reaction score
New to the truck world, been really indecisive about both of these. So what are real world expectations of the pros and cons of the roll type and tri fold?

sarge33army

Reaction score
New to the truck world, been really indecisive about both of these. So what are real world expectations of the pros and cons of the roll type and tri fold?
I've been pleased with the MX4 on current and last pickup. Decided on MX4 due to sun/UV damage to past tonneau covers here in Southern Arizona. Both MX4 covers have been great with no leaks, no damage, and still look new.

Sixshooter54

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Leer HF350M tri-fold. It is well built and relatively water proof. I do get a little water near the tailgate. Happy with it so far.

Ram_702

Reaction score
I've been pleased with the MX4 on current and last pickup. Decided on MX4 due to sun/UV damage to past tonneau covers here in Southern Arizona. Both MX4 covers have been great with no leaks, no damage, and still look new.
I’m considering both models same as OP. I am wondering if the MX4 blocks the 3rd brake light camera when fully retracted. Anyone have any experience here?

myownstatus

Reaction score
I’m considering both models same as OP. I am wondering if the MX4 blocks the 3rd brake light camera when fully retracted. Anyone have any experience here?

I heard it does, but I haven’t seen any pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarge33army

Reaction score
Good question. Mine covers the third brake light. However, mine is for an eight-foot bed (RAM 2500). A 5.5 or 6.5 bed could be different.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went out to check this on mine and the MX4 does NOT cover the 3rd brake light or camera. it lands just below the housing so its free and clear. I have the 5'5 bed

Ram_702

Reaction score
I just went out to check this on mine and the MX4 does NOT cover the 3rd brake light or camera. it lands just below the housing so its free and clear.
Excellent. Thanks for checking!!!

soturi

Reaction score
I wouldn't get the Revolver X4S. just bought it and its a terrible fit. Overhands the bulkhead of the bed and one side of the rail down even let me close the tailgate. ended up gouging the plastic on top the tailgate.

myownstatus

Reaction score
I wouldn't get the Revolver X4S. just bought it and its a terrible fit. Overhands the bulkhead of the bed and one side of the rail down even let me close the tailgate. ended up gouging the plastic on top the tailgate.

Wow!!!

And I was about to pull the trigger on it.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
My dad has the undercover flex I believe is what it's called? Seems pretty nice still after a year. I don't know much about the others, I was set on a diamondback when I got mine.

Ram_702

Reaction score
J
Wow!!!

And I was about to pull the trigger on it.

Yeah, I was thinking about it too. My neighbor has one on his F-150 and it looked great. A lot of points of failure was my biggest concern. If the 3rd brake light camera is clear of the fully folded up MX4 on the 5’7” box as stated here then I think that will be the route I go.

Ram_702

Reaction score
J

Yeah, I was thinking about it too. My neighbor has one on his F-150 and it looked great. A lot of points of failure was my biggest concern. If the 3rd brake light camera is clear of the fully folded up MX4 on the 5’7” box as stated here then I think that will be the route I go.
Just got this from Bakflip customer service…. Now I’m confused. I believe Snofire. Thanks @Snofire !

Attachments

• 4C61E77E-C622-4982-9272-9353AD1F8490.jpeg
    4C61E77E-C622-4982-9272-9353AD1F8490.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 133

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
20220103_171726.jpg

Attachments

• 20220103_171738.jpg
    20220103_171738.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 77

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the MX4 and I’m not impressed. It looks great, but it’s actually a tiny bit too short. When mounted against the front of the bed like it’s supposed to be, I can see into the bad at the tailgate (very small gap). It seems like it needs to be about 1/2” or so longer. I’ve adjusted it back a tiny bit, but it just doesn’t seal very well. I had it professionally installed when I bought it, but later removed it and reinstalled myself after noticing water in the bed every time it rained. I messed with it quite a bit and it’s just simply too short. I need to call them and see what can be done. I had a BakFlip F1 on my previous truck, and was all around a better product than the MX4. I believe the issue is also the fact that the MX4 is designed where you can close the tailgate with the cover closed. The F1, had to be propped open to close the tailgate. I believe that makes a better seal since the cover closes down on top of the tailgate.

KyRam21

Reaction score

I’ve had the X4s installed for a couple months and love it. It keeps 99% of the water out and is very secure. Mine is installed with a Bedrug. B5755CE0-4129-48FD-9FE1-E2A35B3DD7A9.jpeg 254AAFB3-81DE-4CC8-BC04-E7937AE74908.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread