5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What options are a must and what are a waste?

tomme12

Reaction score
Getting ready to order my truck and going through the options, are there some options that are completely worth it or a complete waste? (examples below Im pondering)

- Ramboxes
- Trailer Tech Group (I can backup a trailer for 30 years, not sure I need a button to do this?)
- Bed liner (Factory or aftermarket?)
- Tonneau Cover (Factory aftermarket?)
- Air shocks? (seems like something destined to fail after warranty expires?)
- Running boards. Looks nice, but ?

Thanks!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For me, I didn't get things that I could get later, cover, bed liner, side steps, etc. I'd rather not pay interest and payments on things like that. I'd rather use that money to get better factory upgrades.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rambox sure depending on your use and if you don’t mind the little space you lose in bed.

Tonneau cover.. I’d skip and go aftermarket

Bedliner…. Well normally I would say just go Line X but with the “Covid” excuse there’s supply shortage and if you get it at least if u did get the BUG group you’ll get the bed divider, silver rails required for some tonneau covers with rambox option and the quality of the oem bedliner is pretty good nowadays or was in my current 2020.

Sidesteps rather choose from the many aftermarket options or just add Mopar steps at a later date.

Trailer tech group would be nice to have

Air suspension that’s up you. Personally I didn’t get it figured it one more expensive fix if something goes wrong after warranty period is up but some guys love it and gotta have it.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
From your list the requirements for us were the Ramboxes, spray in bed liner, air suspension, factory trailer brake controller and the power running boards.

If I had it to do over, the Multi Function Tailgate would be a requirement as well.
ETA: 33 gallon fuel tank was at the top of the list for must haves as was the E locker.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Getting ready to order my truck and going through the options, are there some options that are completely worth it or a complete waste? (examples below Im pondering)

- Ramboxes
- Trailer Tech Group (I can backup a trailer for 30 years, not sure I need a button to do this?)
- Bed liner (Factory or aftermarket?)
- Tonneau Cover (Factory aftermarket?)
- Air shocks? (seems like something destined to fail after warranty expires?)
- Running boards. Looks nice, but ?

Thanks!
you did not state what model you are looking at

ramboxes are only on select models

bed liner by factory imo is better

running boads by the factory imo are better

watch this video

HemiDude

Reaction score
None of those option are a waste, as @PurpleRT said, it depends on what you want from your truck. I have been pleased with the factory spray-in liner, it has held up well. If I towed a TT I would likely get the air suspension. I have the factory wheel-to-wheel running boards, but I bought them from my Dealer (at a discount) and had them install the boards on my truck at the dealership - saw no reason to finance those. I added a folding hard cover myself - again, something easy to install without added cost to the purchase price.

OhioGreenLaramie

Reaction score
I always want a spray in bed liner, I like the protection and non slip surface. Had in last 2 Rams.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Best combo is the spray-in liner and buy an aftermarket rubber liner to keep things from moving around & getting scratched up in the bed. The factory liner doesn't appear to be as durable as Line-X, I personally would add it later if the truck doesn't come with it already.

33 gallon tank is a must, this coming from a guy with a 26 gallon tank.

Fixed side steps/running boards is a must if you want to avoid paint chips on your rear quarter panel, the front tires will throw pebbles up to the rear quarter and fender, best defense is running boards (non-powered) or even pricier PPF.

I don't like the Ram Boxes because they still haven't appeared to fix the fit issues with them, that would bother me personally. I have a high quality low-profile truck tool box instead. It does take up some room in the bed, but with the tail gate down, there isn't anything I had trouble hauling if needed.

79 300

Reaction score
Make sure you order the axle ratio you really want. A 3.92 costs around $95 if you order it, but can cost thousands if you decide you need it later.

Another thing that has caused many members here a lot of frustration is switching from tow mirrors to standard mirrors after realizing the tow mirrors weren't for them.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t care about most add-ons. My new truck came with running boards and a Mopar folding tonneau cover. After having the Gator EFX on my ‘21 Laramie, I will say that the Mopar brand is much higher quality and fits better/ fabric is tighter.

tomme12

Reaction score
Best combo is the spray-in liner and buy an aftermarket rubber liner to keep things from moving around & getting scratched up in the bed. The factory liner doesn't appear to be as durable as Line-X, I personally would add it later if the truck doesn't come with it already.

33 gallon tank is a must, this coming from a guy with a 26 gallon tank.

Fixed side steps/running boards is a must if you want to avoid paint chips on your rear quarter panel, the front tires will throw pebbles up to the rear quarter and fender, best defense is running boards (non-powered) or even pricier PPF.

I don't like the Ram Boxes because they still haven't appeared to fix the fit issues with them, that would bother me personally. I have a high quality low-profile truck tool box instead. It does take up some room in the bed, but with the tail gate down, there isn't anything I had trouble hauling if needed.
Good to know.... I may bail on the rambox selection.. I heard they leak.

Jako

Reaction score
Go for the Bed Utility Group (BUG) - good bang for the buck.
Tonneau and Running boards - lots of options. Figure out your needs and wants prior to making a decision. Lots of information on the forum.
LEDS - great for my old eyes and I consider it a safety feature.
I like my sliding rear glass, pounding in the truck if it is closed and windows are open.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Out of those options for the way I use a truck the only one I had to have was the bed liner which came with the bed utility group. The regular tow package, and Bighorn Level 2 had everything else I wanted. I added a hard cover after purchase. :)

SD Rebel

Reaction score

To be honest, I know people who have them and love them, but I think the fit and finish on them is hit or miss. The previous gen Ram Boxes I heard are actually pretty good, but they used a different vendor for the DT gen.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
First I've heard of that.

There was a problem with some modules getting water intrusion and causing the Rambox to open on it's own, but it was a simple warranty fix with a newer module.

NRitland2

Reaction score
Off road group offers best bang for your buck in my opinion.

also 33 gal tank and axle ratio if 3.92 are musts

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
What I wanted but didn't get because I got a deal off the lot: running boards, rear fender liners, all weather mats. 33 gallon tank. I added all but the tank later with Mopar stuff. I put a hard tonneau cover on. I don't think it would work well with Ramboxes, but I know it won't flap and it will take more than a knife to get in.

What I got that I generally didn't think I'd care about, LED lighting, Level 2 package, bed step. The extra plugs are handy. And the lighting is really nice when you get to be old. Same with the step.

Users who are viewing this thread