5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm P!#$%$ just found out I don't have anti spin

397STROKER

Reaction score
I got new rims, haven't had tires mounted yet but still wanted to see what one looked like on the truck. Jacked the back end of the truck and notices the wheel turned and I was like WTF. Tire on the other side spinning the opposite direction. I checked the window sticker and is says Anti Spin differential. Checked Ram website and equipment for my truck and it says Anti Spin Differential. Now I have to go through the hassle of going to the dealer and you know they won't have the part and who knows how long that will take. Given the way things are today I guess you better double check everything that you are supposedly buying. This is just poor.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On Engineering Explain's video on limited slip, I think he mentions there needs to be a certain amount of rotational speed before some cams swing out to engage the limited slip. Just pushing the wheels in the air as Djevox mentioned will not determine if you have it or not.

Also inspect the diff, there should be a tag or label with a code that you can check and confirm what diff is in there.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Both my new 2022 and old 2011 with LSD were exactly as you describe when on my lift. Wheels turn in opposite directions when not loaded.

Pull onto an asphalt road and do a power brake. You’ll see 2 nice black marks on the pavement when pulling away.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Well that is poor. My challenger anti spin would not act like this. So, I guess I should have looked for one with the E-locking rear. So, who makes a real posi unit for these rears?

Bigtone

Reaction score
What you were expecting to see with the truck jacked up was how older true posi rears acted. These newer limited slip differentials are more sophisticated and as noted above, do not actually "lock" until there is some torque applied.... The last truck I owned with a true posi rear many years ago was a 79 Ford, and if you were not in 4wd when it would break loose it would go sideways, and not always in a fun way.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well that is poor. My challenger anti spin would not act like this. So, I guess I should have looked for one with the E-locking rear. So, who makes a real posi unit for these rears?
E-locker only stays engaged up to 25mph, then releases and you have open diff again.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
E-locker only stays engaged up to 25mph, then releases and you have open diff again.
^^^^This is why I don't have the e locker but have LSD instead. I had lockers on a Jeep but could only engage them in 4low or rear under 25. The LSD is always there. Lockers have their place, mainly off road. Can't be beat there. On road LSD takes it.

Now, I have not heard of LSD that is not engaged like the OP pointed out. All that I have had used a spring loaded clutch pack. The pressure from the spring is always there. The Ford 8.8 in my Lincoln is this way, the LSD in my Jeep Dana 44 is this way, the LSD in my wife's Jeep Liberty was this way. I made the mistake of taking on the task of replacing the clutch pack in her Liberty. I will just buy a new assembly if I ever have to do it again. The springs are no joke.

If the new LSD does not operate from a spring loaded clutch pack, how does it work? My truck will do a mean burn out and fishtail with the traction control off so I know the LSD works. I have not jacked it up and tried spinning a wheel.

What happens when only one wheel is jacked up? All the LSD rears I had would not turn.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The elocker will guarentee you have traction.

As mentioned. The anti spin needs to feel slippage to lock.

Neither are engaged at speeds over 25 mph. (Unless you stay in the pedal once anti spin locks) as soon as you lift or enter a turn the anti spin unlocks. The elocker will stay engaged into a turn under 25 and you need to be prepared for the adverse affect that has.

I had a video showing my son about using 2wd 4wd and 4low out in the woods on ice. I can not access it now. Basically I showed him how momentum is the most important factor in not getting stuck.

The anti spin had to spin to lock...and if on ice...that spin meant...you got both wheels spinning.

Elocker can be engaged in 2wd. I really wish my truck had it. But they still have not offered it to the HeftyDuty.

The elocker was the only reason i could find to suggest a 1500 over a 2500 when this site first opened.

Good times

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The elocker will guarentee you have traction.

As mentioned. The anti spin needs to feel slippage to lock.

Neither are engaged at speeds over 25 mph. (Unless you stay in the pedal once anti spin locks) as soon as you lift or enter a turn the anti spin unlocks. The elocker will stay engaged into a turn under 25 and you need to be prepared for the adverse affect that has.

I had a video showing my son about using 2wd 4wd and 4low out in the woods on ice. I can not access it now. Basically I showed him how momentum is the most important factor in not getting stuck.

The anti spin had to spin to lock...and if on ice...that spin meant...you got both wheels spinning.

Elocker can be engaged in 2wd. I really wish my truck had it. But they still have not offered it to the HeftyDuty.

The elocker was the only reason i could find to suggest a 1500 over a 2500 when this site first opened.

Good times
From my experience with the limited slip on my 9.25 axles, the clutches will lock almost instantly, but in extreme differences in reaction from one tire to the next, the tire with the least traction will always spin, unless you get both wheels spinning at once. Which is more controllable than just a single wheel spinning

BigD

Reaction score
Put it in 4WD auto when raining or snowing & your good to go. I've had my truck 2 yrs now. It's open diff, I've never had a problem.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From my experience with the limited slip on my 9.25 axles, the clutches will lock almost instantly, but in extreme differences in reaction from one tire to the next, the tire with the least traction will always spin, unless you get both wheels spinning at once. Which is more controllable than just a single wheel spinning
You get your tires down in snow or mud it is hard to get both to spin to lock...this is how it happens on my 99 03 and 15.

But the elocker...it is already engaged

Same thing happens with 4wd auto if you engage it after you are stuck...or shut the truck off while stuck.

It is hard to explain this in txt.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Well, this explains a lot. So, it is not a true posi. The last truck I had was 2001 dodge 1500, before that a 97 dodge 2500, but before those was a 1990 doge 1500 that I lifted an had true Posi, and my first truck was a 1987 doge 2wd. That 1990 4wd truck would take me anywhere. The 2500 did pretty good but the 2001, I always thought the limited slip was not hat good. I remember when trucks were real work horses and cheap, not luxury queens like today. Don't get me wrong, I like my truck but I am not sure I could do with it what I put my 1990 through and I guess that is a good thing since I am a little too old to be doing that kind of stuff anymore. Thanks for all the help and knowledge.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got an 85 a 99 a 03 and a 15 and they all have gone the same places. The execution is different...but each are as capable as the other. I have not and most likely won't own a 5th Gen...but I bet it will go right with them.

Our RAM trucks since 2009 have a thing called BLDS...and if you execute it right on the right terrain....it is like they have lockers front and rear. It has its limitations...but understanding it can get you through some stuff.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
When trucks were trucks and the dash would fall apart after a few years, rockers would rust out, and engines leaked more oil than they used before 100l! Not to mention the transmission issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

397STROKER

Reaction score
I have always had good luck with my Dodge trucks. I did have 1 trans issue but it fell under the 100,000 mile warranty and it only cost me $100 to get replaced. Even the cars I have had have been good to me. Never had the Dash issue or the rocker rust. I did start to get the bottom of the door rust on the a 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread