5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$700 clear coat

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think he's asking about the factory PPF option that the NADA(?) build site lists. I'd ask about it when ordering. It could be a good deal at $700, but it really depends on how much coverage it includes.

Last edited:

Cobalt 23

Reaction score
I think he's asking about the factory PPF option that the NADA(?) build site lists. I'd ask about it when ordering. It could be a good deal at $700, but it really depends on how much coverage it includes.
It was on the Dealer bill sheet. I would think the extra clear coat would be a Plus.

Cobalt 23

Reaction score
I'm not sure. It was explained by a Ram salesman that it was a extra coat of clear sprayed on the truck at the factory.

PCHokie

Reaction score
I saw PPF for $765 on someone else build, seems like a pretty good deal.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 99

dwalme

Reaction score
If it's PPF that would make sense.

But what type, where is it installed, how much coverage, and is the PPF visible like how it is when spot applied to only specific areas of the paint that get abuse?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's PPF that would make sense.

But what type, where is it installed, how much coverage, and is the PPF visible like how it is when spot applied to only specific areas of the paint that get abuse?
If I remember correctly....I have a friend with this option on his Jeep, it only covered liked the front 1/4 of his hood and was VERY noticeable.

dmitryDS

Reaction score
I think I have it. It only covers small front parts of hood and goes down to bumper on the sides.

Will try putting photos if you need

lost demon

Reaction score
I would think the clear coat would be subject to the same elements as the paint. I myself would opt to take my $700 and have a professional apply a top brand ceramic coating that are on the market today. And have money left over for the next application . J M O .

truckless

Reaction score
I would think the clear coat would be subject to the same elements as the paint. I myself would opt to take my $700 and have a professional apply a top brand ceramic coating that are on the market today. And have money left over for the next application . J M O .

Around here you are not getting a top brand of ceramic coat applied for 700 and having money left over for anything... In fact you are maybe only half way to clearing your bill.

Last edited:

BGL

Reaction score
Clear coat is a thing for some dealers, yes, its a cheap version of clear coat Si02 similar to spray on versions you can buy online. They add it as a 'paint sealant'. Like wax, but a little longer, 2-4 months of protection. Ask them to specify what it is exactly, or if it's a PPF Paint Protection Film package.

It never replaces the performance of PPF for scratches and rocks, but helps with keeping the vehicle clean by filling in the pores of the paint, creating it's just waxed look, and if you plan on getting real ceramic coatings (SiO2) that last for 3-6 years like I am, you don't need the clear coat unless it will be a few months before adding real protection or if you plan to wax every 3rd wash.

You can skip the clear coat if you plan to get PPF done as soon as you buy it, and if you want to do SiO2 ceramic coating, its well worth it to spend the money and get both. I did my 07 after a full detail 4 years ago still glossy like new paint was just waxed , and it washes in 1/3 the time. Wipe it down and looks like new.

The plan on my new Rebel is PPF the headlights and the full hood (don't like the line, and use the snow brush every winter) , full front fenders, bottom 10 inches on doors/rockers to the back. Full Tailgate as rocks like to rebound off the trailers, and get the door cups, ram box edges done, inside the door kick plate areas where you get in and out a must, and while I am at it, a piece on the 12" infotainment screen. The rest in Si02 ceramic coating. Then ceramic tint 35 all the way around and a 5% brow.

Make sure you get the PPF or company decals, stickers, installed first, then the ceramic coating afterwards, as good SiO2 is so hydrophobic that your PPF or decals will not stick very well to the paint surface and will begin to peel in a short time. Add the ceramic coating afterwards to all the non PPF areas.

Note that SiO2 professional application will cost more on dark colored vehicles, as there is more prep time and polishing involved in making getting the factory abnormalities and micro scratches out of the paint. Black is the worst , most expensive, but also is the most noticeable when you get it done; you will be thankful when you realize you only have to wash a third of the time, and the mud doesn't stick.

You can do SiO2 applications yourself, but be prepared to take your time to power polish (yes even off the lot there are micro scratches) , and the application process is delicate, and if not done right, will show high spots on the paint that will look terrible, especially on a dark color, and quite frankly is a pain in the *** to buff out.

Comparison
Attached shows a couple of 19 Rams done with a professional Si02 ceramic coating.
IMG_20190828_095442.jpg IMG_20181205_140303.jpg

Last edited:

BGL

Reaction score

BNJMN

Reaction score
Is the factory option including the PPF anywhere other than the front few inches of the hood? I had hoped the rockers would have it.

Users who are viewing this thread