5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrades to my 2020 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4.

MLOGSDON

Reaction score
I swapped out the 22" wheels and tires for a set of 20" rims with off road tires. The ride is MUCH better with some actual sidewall, compared to the former set. The speedometer is only off by 1 mph. So that worked.
My future upgrade will be the rear coils. I plan on towing a travel trailer, and think it'd be well to increase the load carrying capacity. I do plan on good load leveler, but adding a towed 900 lb tongue weight sounds bad for front suspension traction. Has anyone upgraded the rear springs? I've seen aftermarket variable rate springs, but would appreciate some first hand knowledge.

Attachments

• 20211218_100825.jpg
    20211218_100825.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 57

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not an expert here but my understanding that adding stiffer springs, similar to adding air bags does not increase your payload capacity, it just stiffens the rear end. The payload is a function of the front and rear axel weight ratings and that isn't changing.

On my '15 I installed rear air bags which I inflated for stiffness while towing but left almost deflated during normal conditions so as not to alter the car like ride of my truck.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice looking longhorn, always loved the two tones. If the two tone patriot blue over brown was an option when I ordered my 21 I definitely would have gone that way.

MLOGSDON

Reaction score
Stiffer springs (or airbags) do increase the load carrying capacity, otherwise you'd bottom out on the bump stops, and that's the entire purpose of 'helper springs' or HD springs. The bearings and suspension attachment points are a bigger issue. 2500 and 3500 have more robust suspension attachment hardware for good reason, to handle the extra weight of a max loaded vehicle. I will probably only use the HD springs available for 1500's while towing, and replace them with stock when the trailer is parked. OR get the HD variable rate springs. We're only talking about a couple of hundred extra pounds of tongue weight, not maxing out the load capacity of the vehicle. Load levelers are also designed to counter-lever weight back to the front wheels of the vehicle, thereby returning the front contact patch to normal (and suspension geometry and braking capability). I see entirely too many 2500's on the highway with hugely weighed down trailers attached, that I could probably dead-lift the front end off the ground by myself. If you've never heard of load levelers, please educate yourself on them. Getting one outfitted just might save your life.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Curious...are you talking about a weight distribution hitch?? Never heard the term load levelers, except when talking about height adjustments on or inside of a cargo truck or trailer.

And I disagree...stiffer springs do not "increase" carrying capacity. they only prevent sag and add some stability to a heavy load. They do nothing to carry any more load. Just because the load feels more stable does not make it more safe, legal, or help the truck otherwise. All the rest of the components on the truck can still only carry what they're rated for, IE: the axles.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and I agree...that color combo looks great...especially with those wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread