5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload Rant - Ford Maverick $20K versus $76K for RAM Limited and has a higher payload

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ford Maverick says it has a 1500 pound payload
The ford ranger is 1860
The RAM Big Horn on the website says it has a 2,020 pound payload (only 500 pounds more than this teeny tiny city truck)

How does a Maverick that's smaller than a box of matches have just 500 pounds less payload than a half ton RAM? Why would someone spend $35,000 on a RAM when they can $22K on a Maverick and get just 500 pounds less?

The unfortunate kicker and something, while not quite buyer's remorse is annoying, that I wish I knew going into this my Limited has a maximum payload of just 1,000 pounds because of options. So you mean to tell me that I could have saved $50,000 USD and had 500 pounds more payload by purchasing a maverick?

I'm annoyed slightly. Someone help me be less annoyed please. I don't really need towing capabilities. I need payload as I put two 550 pound motorcycles in the back with people. That was my goal all along and it seems I could have done that and saved a lot of money. I love my truck but how did Ford get 1500 pounds of payload out of such a tiny vehicle?

size-of-ford-maverick.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes-sir, I'll restate

My RAM 1500 has a max payload of 1000 pounds
Ford's Maverick has a payload of 1500 pounds

Is one of those figures wrong?
I will start with you could have also bought a Tradesman. Or a lightly optioned Bighorn.

Believe me.

Forget payload numbers.

Load 1500lbs in a maverick and load 1500 lbs in your limited.

Your money was well spent

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the video, Devildodge. I skimmed to the end and the Maverick indeed handled just beyond the max weight and it handled it. I don't load full motorcycles in my RAM And go off road. I just need it to get me to a motorcycle rally or competition so the off road handling isn't needed.

Noob mistake one which you've personally seen maybe 500 times is someone like me not knowing options decrease payload. That's my mistake and it's on me

but I think the question still remains. How did Ford make a 1500 pay load truck and yet RAM is only maxed at 2,000 in the tradesman trim? Why do half tons exist if a compact car / truck hybrid can get 75% of the way there?

I guess the answer is towing but if you're not someone who is doing towing and just needs payload, maybe the small truck is better?

My needs are closer to this -

than what you guys are doing (pulling campers)

Thanks in advance for the discussion. I'm not here to crap on RAM or half tons I'm just trying to understand how a tiny hybrid compact can do 75% of the payload of a half ton truck.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Trade your truck in.

Do more research before your purchase and you will be less annoyed.

If payload is that important to you. How heavy are the bikes you're hauling?

And yes its for towing the larger the truck the better overall feel it has while towing.

Some 1500s can tow almost as much as 2500s, but the 2500 handles it much better since its a bigger truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the video, Devildodge. I skimmed to the end and the Maverick indeed handled just beyond the max weight and it handled it. I don't load full motorcycles in my RAM And go off road. I just need it to get me to a motorcycle rally or competition so the off road handling isn't needed.

Noob mistake one which you've personally seen maybe 500 times is someone like me not knowing options decrease payload. That's my mistake and it's on me

but I think the question still remains. How did Ford make a 1500 pay load truck and yet RAM is only maxed at 2,000 in the tradesman trim? Why do half tons exist if a compact car / truck hybrid can get 75% of the way there?

I guess the answer is towing but if you're not someone who is doing towing and just needs payload, maybe the small truck is better?

My needs are closer to this -

than what you guys are doing (pulling campers)

Thanks in advance for the discussion. I'm not here to crap on RAM or half tons I'm just trying to understand how a tiny hybrid compact can do 75% of the payload of a half ton truck.
I do not know how to explain this other than lets look at some more numbers.

The GVWR of the Maverick is 5400 I believe.

The Ram is 7100. See the trend.

The Ram weighs more than the Maverick. Thus cutting into GVWR.

It is the same argument I see with horse power ratings

The 5.7l Hemi in the 1500 is rated at 395 the 6.4l HEMI in the 2500 is rated at 410...people are like...why should I upgrade to a 2500 for 15 more horsepower.

Well. Load the Hemi 1500 with 1000lbs then load the Hemi 2500 with 1000lbs. You will quickly see the difference.

Ultimately you could have bought many different trucks and SUV for what you are doing. But very few do it as comfortably and effortlessly as a RAM 1500

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let's lol at previous RAM trucks for a laugh too.

1999 RAM had 6400 GVWR. But weighed about 4200lbs...so 2200lb payload. Now a RAM has 7100lbs...but weighs 5600lbs...making sense yet.

One more. They loaded that maverick with 1500lbs and right to GVWR. It was very unsafe at speed.

You load your truck to 1500lbs...being 500 over GVWR...your truck will still work just fine.

Attachments

• 20210413_183650_HDR.jpg
    20210413_183650_HDR.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 28

silver billet

Reaction score
For fun, you should check out the powerwagon. It's a 3/4 ton, with a 6.4 hemi, and has less payload than the maverick.

Sometimes the ratings only go so far to describe capability, and trying to judge a truck off of one or two numbers is not going to work.

A limited loaded up with all the giant heavy features in your truck is going to reduce what you can stuff into it. If you put all that tech from your limited, plus other heavy features you might have like panoramic sunroof + etorque + ram boxes + skid plates + hemi/v8 etc etc into your maverick and recalculate, well I'm sure you're down to 400 pounds left in the maverick.

If you didn't want all that stuff that you paid for in your limited, then yeah you're in the wrong truck. As devildodge said, if you get a tradesman you can get > 1800 pounds. I'm at 1750, and very comfortable with my heavy/durable v8, 4x4, and level 2 tech package.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve noticed ford usually has higher payload ratings than other manufacturers. They also offer heavy duty springs that increases payload but would reduce ride quality in return. Are the ford payload ratings on a base 2wd truck with no options? Do they have the extra payload from the heavier springs?

tom318

Reaction score
Many seem to always compare how much $$ they spend on something vs. how capable it is compared to everything else that costs less. The amount spent on a truck (or anything) or how big it appears has little to do with how capable it is in terms of payload, speed, towing , off road, reliability and so on. I'm guilty of it as well and I'm also startled at how low the payloads are (mine is 1345) but I like to think I have a 2300lb payload I just opted to always carry 1000lbs of luxury with me. I was once offended by the payload on the little Mercedes Metris van.....but its purpose built for payload so it does that well (up to 2400lbs).

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I drove small trucks for years and it was always a pain in the butt to get 2 bikes, gear, gas, ramps, etc. loaded up and underway. I can't imagine how much worse it would be in that little thing. Small trucks are perfect for one bike and driving solo to the trailhead. I can't believe you're even slightly annoyed by the payload of that Maverick considering the size of your motorcycles.

BigD

Reaction score
Everyone is forgetting to mention the Rams use coil springs & the Fords use leaf springs. That's why the payload is greater in the Fords. But u are trading ride comfort for payload. What's more important to u ? Quality of the ride or amount of payload? I noticed the new 2022 Toyota Tundra is copying Ram & going with coil springs as well.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Coil springs really has nothing to do with the Maverick. The RAM 2500 uses coils and can match or out haul ford and Chevy.

And...well coil springs have been used for heavy hauling forever.
20201028_135851_HDR.jpg
Ford does have some payload packages...but their regular trucks only have more payload because the F150 weighs less than RAM or Chevy.

The ford maverick does not even have an axle like a 1500 truck does.

Some guys here have 900lbs payload. My Cherokee has 900lbs payload...but I for sure know the RAM is way more capable.

Users who are viewing this thread