5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

Rmazzei

Reaction score
I have the hellwig 7883 with the upgraded end links and all they seem to do is squeak. The bushings on them don't stay quiet for long. Thankfully I got that kit for cheap and I kept my stock end links.
no reason to chnage the stock ones

german88

Reaction score
Following “Bullcycles” lead, I did the “poor man’s Helwig” mod to my factory sway bar. Large hydraulic press and drill press required. No reason this will compromise integrity of the stock bar. It’s been snowing in my neck of the woods so haven’t gone out to test it. My buddy has the same truck so it’ll be fun to compare results when weather permits. Will report back.

Attachments

• 26F924CE-11B3-46C8-A7B4-1F1E63FE6DD2.jpeg
    26F924CE-11B3-46C8-A7B4-1F1E63FE6DD2.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 7CD156DC-5796-4D59-8E12-9AF445C5CAAB.jpeg
    7CD156DC-5796-4D59-8E12-9AF445C5CAAB.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 104

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Less body lean and amazing turn in ability. Almost feels racecar like lol. In rain if you are turning, you can break lose the rearend very easily. I feel like it stiffens the rear up a lot for turns or leans, but it also made the rearend a little stuff when hitting potholes. Just my thought though.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Less body lean and amazing turn in ability. Almost feels racecar like lol. In rain if you are turning, you can break lose the rearend very easily. I feel like it stiffens the rear up a lot for turns or leans, but it also made the rearend a little stuff when hitting potholes. Just my thought though.
That last part is what has kept me from getting the Hellwig. You're not the first to report a stiffer ride. I'll see how German88's truck rides with the modified stock sway bar before I make a decision.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That last part is what has kept me from getting the Hellwig. You're not the first to report a stiffer ride. I'll see how German88's truck rides with the modified stock sway bar before I make a decision.
You can't stiffen up the body roll without it effecting the rest of the suspension "feel". I have mine if firmest settings, and my Ram is still the smoothest riding vehicle in my garage. My wife's 2020 Traverse is a lot worse and it's completely stock.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is a slight trade off, but the benefits outweigh any downside. The only stiffness is side to side body roll, hitting a bump or pothole isn't any different. Washboard roads might be a little more jiggly. Also it is adjustable, the softest setting is basically stock, but limits the lean angle

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't notice the ride being any harsher on the middle setting but the rear end definitely feels more planted, and that little quarter second delay where it feels like the bed is catching up to the rest of the truck coming out of the turn is basically gone.

Think I will probably leave it in the middle setting. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cda3488

Reaction score
Tightens up the entire vehicle. As others have said, it feels planted. Far less body roll.

Turns are solid. It is a much more stable ride without making it harsher. The soft ride is still there, it's just a lot more "solid".

If I could do it again? I'd get the longer end-links. They come in two sizes: 8-11" and 11-14". (I think.) The shorter ones are fine, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough play in them when I lift the truck. I measured the existing ones, and the 8-11" covered their length. If I lift it, I may need to go up to the next size. (Not sure...gotta get a tape measure and crawl back under the truck.)

If you're even halfway considering this, do it.

Start to finish, it took about an hour of work. That includes pressing in the bushings and sleeves and cleaning my tools. 6 bolts come out, 8 bolts go in.
Just ordered a 2022 1500 Laramie GT with the air ride suspension. Can I put the Hellwig on this truck?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Hellwig on the middle setting has no effect on the ride at all...at least in my opinion, and I drive a LOT compared to most. Even if some say they notice a slightly harsher ride, I'd still argue that the benefit FAR outweighs the downside. I agree with so many others, this remains a must-do upgrade. I'm gonna try the firmest setting next time I rotate tires....curious how that will ride.

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Hellwig on the middle setting has no effect on the ride at all...at least in my opinion, and I drive a LOT compared to most. Even if some say they notice a slightly harsher ride, I'd still argue that the benefit FAR outweighs the downside. I agree with so many others, this remains a must-do upgrade. I'm gonna try the firmest setting next time I rotate tires....curious how that will ride.
I intended to go with the middle hole but as I mentioned in another thread, mine came with the middle holes bored too small. I've not gotten around to widening the holes so I've had it in both the outermost and now the innermost holes. I think the ride is fine in the firmest setup and if it helps when pulling my camper, even better. It may ride a little firmer, but it's still comfortable and much more planted around curves--as many others have noted.

Users who are viewing this thread