5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accessory Wiring

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Thinking of making modifications to my truck, but having never nodded a vehicle, I'm very unsure about a few things. Mainly, wiring and powering said device/accessory. Are factory wires typically being cut and/or spliced or are there usually harnesses?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thinking of making modifications to my truck, but having never nodded a vehicle, I'm very unsure about a few things. Mainly, wiring and powering said device/accessory. Are factory wires typically being cut and/or spliced or are there usually harnesses?
Depends on what you are doing. Some have connected to the factory wiring on some topics. Installing additional reverse lights many use a Curt 56584 (5 wire) or 56070 (7 wire) wiring harness adapter. Research well, many will help out and answer questions.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
easiest non permanent way is to simply use a micro2 fuse tap under the sterring wheel fuse block. You can also tap unused pins in the harnesses but it gets complicated. Theres a few unused fuse blocks and also some in the fuse box under the hood. Plenty to work with.

MattGalmish

Reaction score

Depends on what you’re wanting to run. SwitchPros make universal switchers that can power TONS of different things from lights, to lockers, to winches, etc. SP is one of the best on the market for said things so it’s gonna cost a bit more. Garmin also makes a similar devise that can pair with their Overlander GPS unit to make it wireless control. SDHQ out of Gilbert, AZ makes a special mounting bracket for the DT 1500 for the SwitchPro to make install simple and super clean. SDHQ also makes hood/a-pillar mounts for the 1500s for ditch lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattGalmish

Reaction score

Check the links………if they work

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Depends on what you’re wanting to run. SwitchPros make universal switchers that can power TONS of different things from lights, to lockers, to winches, etc. SP is one of the best on the market for said things so it’s gonna cost a bit more. Garmin also makes a similar devise that can pair with their Overlander GPS unit to make it wireless control. SDHQ out of Gilbert, AZ makes a special mounting bracket for the DT 1500 for the SwitchPro to make install simple and super clean. SDHQ also makes hood/a-pillar mounts for the 1500s for ditch lights.

Thanks much, a bit of helpful info. I'm definitely gonna check out those links and look into SwitchPros
Question is way to vauge. Different mods require significantly different approaches.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk
Yea, sorry, I'm a bit all over the place. I was thinking about interior lighting, like mood/ambient/accent lighting. Considering wiring a cam inside cab.
Was also thinking of a few lighting accessories outside the truck. And a winch, but that comes with it's own power supply that has very little to do with existing wiring.
Thing is, I don't want to turn my truck into a rat's nest of wires, I dont know what changes will stick or go back to drawing board. Also, although I dont plan on selling or trading my truck, I dont want to brick its resale value.

MattGalmish

Reaction score
Thanks much, a bit of helpful info. I'm definitely gonna check out those links and look into SwitchPros

Yea, sorry, I'm a bit all over the place. I was thinking about interior lighting, like mood/ambient/accent lighting. Considering wiring a cam inside cab.
Was also thinking of a few lighting accessories outside the truck. And a winch, but that comes with it's own power supply that has very little to do with existing wiring.
Thing is, I don't want to turn my truck into a rat's nest of wires, I dont know what changes will stick or go back to drawing board. Also, although I dont plan on selling or trading my truck, I dont want to brick its resale value.

If you have the interior/exterior LED light pkg, there is a company that makes ambient lighting kit that looks impressive. I forget the name, sorry. Just do a search for it here on the forums and I’m sure you’ll find it. Cheers!

Ldc2335

Reaction score

You'll find a ton of info searching the forum for specific mods, but I'll try and get you started..

Credit to all those on the forum that helped chase these down.

Ignition source for dash cams, radar detectors, etc. = bottom right, Fuse 66, inside fuse panel under steering wheel.

You can also use a mirror tap for dash cams and radars.

Ambient light (if your truck is already equipped and has the dimmer knob) = pull panel off left side of dash when you open the door. There's a harness in there. White wire with green tracer. Goes from like 2 volts to 12 volts based on dimmer wheel position. This same wire is in the overhead console harness as well.

General illumination that corresponds with regular dash dimmer wheel = same harness as above, orange wire, light blue tracer. May also be behind headlight knob panel. Ranges from like 3 to 12 volts based on illumination wheel.

Adding Bed lights, or anything you want on with puddle lights = cargo light wire is tan with brown chaser in the driver's side wire channel that runs under the door sill trim.

Auxiliary reverse lights = black wire, center pin on 7 pin trailer harness/plug. I soldered mine. A lot of folks buy the curt wiring harness and put it inline.

Exterior, high wattage lights/light bars = use a relay harness and hook to a switch pro or single toggles. You can run the wires into the cab through the e-brake boot. Silicone opening you make to prevent leaks.

Hope this helps. Again, not all my original info, just stuff I've gathered to complete projects of my own. There's more than one way to skin a cat and there's some really good threads here for research.

Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i did like what your talking about.i had to use both.taping into some interior wires ,headlight switch and a "GangSwitch".to do what your talking of.at least its what i did.i even upgraded my stereo system to(Amp,sub,etc)

Attachments

• 103_1603.JPG
    103_1603.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 103_1597.JPG
    103_1597.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210330_135946.jpg
    20210330_135946.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210512_131858_InPixio.jpg
    20210512_131858_InPixio.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201213_145511_InPixio.jpg
    20201213_145511_InPixio.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_1792_InPixio.jpg
    100_1792_InPixio.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 48

rwo978

Reaction score
Anyone know the color/location of the wire going to the actual puddle lights?

On my '19 1500, I had a set of underdoor illumination/parking/turn signal led strips. For the illumination, I tapped that white/green tracer wire, but that also controlled the overhead console LED. So, I had to keep that turned all the way off, otherwise the white illumination would be on all the time instead of the amber parking/turn.

Have a '22 1500 now and wanting to do something similar, but tap into the actual factory puddle lamp wiring. Hence the question.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/