5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got DEF?

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t over buy because DEF does have a shelf life and it will go bad.

I think about 18 months is a good number before you have to pour it out.

You can extend it’s life if you put it in your fridge.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That idiot is so full of crap it isn’t funny. We have over twelve manufacturers in the US with sites across the nation. China is not the only source. That moron is simply selling BS and should be shot…clearly the low life purchased Old World Industries, LLC stock (owner of BlueDef and Peak) before making his ridiculous claim on YouTube. What an idiot!!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI

“The urea used in the manufacture of DEF is synthetically derived from ammonia and carbon dioxide, and urea production plants are often adjacent to other sites where ammonia is produced, such as coal and natural gas refineries. This allows for the capture of hydrocarbons from ammonia plant feedstocks to be used in the manufacture of urea, rather than allowing harmful emissions to enter the atmosphere, and eliminating the need to purchase ammonia as a separate commodity. In short, it is easier and more economical to manufacture urea on-site or nearby where ammonia is already being produced.”

The US has plenty of these sites…Korea messed up and shut down their plants in the early 2000’s because they could get it cheaper from China. Now, they are regretting it as China and Russia have both curtailed urea exports.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m getting seriously annoyed at all the “shortages”. Once one (maybe fabricated) shortage is over, some a-holes start posting/making articles about another one.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing up the USA has adequate DEF production facilities.

If there is a shortage of DEF half way around the world in Bora Bora, or Pango Pango or Bangladesh and container full of Widgets misses the ship heading for Long Beach, California.

Now the production line in Evansville, IL has to shutdown all for that ten cent Widget that is stuck half way around the world.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Meh, I put about 8 gallons of it in the tank once a year so if I have to order it at advance auto and wait 4 weeks for it to come in, it won't be the end of the world. Truck stops won't run out. they'll just double the rice.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Meh, I put about 8 gallons of it in the tank once a year so if I have to order it at advance auto and wait 4 weeks for it to come in, it won't be the end of the world. Truck stops won't run out. they'll just double the rice.
I thought it was made with Urea 😆

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m getting seriously annoyed at all the “shortages”. Once one (maybe fabricated) shortage is over, some a-holes start posting/making articles about another one.
Maybe this particular dude is making **** up, but the shortages for the most part are certainly real. A central assumption of JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing (which most of the world operates by) assumes constant/predictable demand AND constant/predictable supplies. Once one of those changes, the supply chain tends to fall apart and will continue to have a bullwhip effect (over/under corrects) for the next couple years, at least.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe this particular dude is making **** up, but the shortages for the most part are certainly real. A central assumption of JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing (which most of the world operates by) assumes constant/predictable demand AND constant/predictable supplies. Once one of those changes, the supply chain tends to fall apart and will continue to have a bullwhip effect (over/under corrects) for the next couple years, at least.
I know, I’m just venting. The only one that really did feel fabricated was the magnesium shortage. It was big news for a couple weeks, then radio silence.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know, I’m just venting. The only one that really did feel fabricated was the magnesium shortage. It was big news for a couple weeks, then radio silence.
It is more of a projection than an actual current stock shortage, which is driving massive price volatility. Production in China was (and is) still lagging. However, it's unlikely it will actually halt auto production...it's just going to drastically increase the price of said parts (which will then be passed down to you).

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The price may go up temporarily over volatility however we do not have nor will there be a shortage in the US as stated in the video of post #1 and #2.

The guy is as ignorant as the fools who purchased and stockpiled cases of toilet paper during the big toilet paper run of 2020. Friggin sheep!

Price increases in the U.S. - yes, shortages in the U.S - no.
"The U.S. is the third-largest producer of fertilizer globally, however, it still requires the importation of all three nutrients, especially nitrogen and potash, to fully meet demand. This means that U.S. fertilizer dealers and U.S. producers are required to pay the price defined by the global market for fertilizer and fertilizer materials, plus transportation.

In 2020, U.S. ammonia was produced at 36 domestic plants and shipped around the country by pipeline, rail, barge and truck. According to the most recent data from the International Fertilizer Association, in 2018 the U.S. ranked second in nitrogen production, representing 11.6% of global production, behind China, which produced 24.6% of nitrogen, and ahead of India, which is the third-largest global producer of nitrogen, producing 11.3% of global supply. For phosphate production, the U.S. also ranked second, with 9.9% of global production, behind China, which produced 37.7%, and again ahead of India, with 9.8% of the global supply of phosphate. For potassium potash, Canada leads the way in production, representing 31.9% of global production, followed by Belarus, which produces 16.5% of global supply. Russia is a close third as it produces 16.1% of potassium global supply. China ranks fourth. In total, about 80% of the world’s potash comes from those four countries. The U.S. ranks as low as 11th in potassium production, with only 0.8% of global supply coming from the U.S."

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread was actually helpful. I went by Autozone just in case and they had the Platinum on sale for almost the same as the regular. I was at 1/4 tank already so I got two.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to three Wally Worlds and each was out of DEF. Kept looking online for store pick up and found that they restocked my local store.
Ran strait down there as I was on 1/4 tank and got three jugs.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread