5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any suggestions on a cordless impact wrench?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 20v dewalt brushless. When I was an hvac and controls tech doing chiller overhauls, I swore by my dewalt cordless 1/2” impact. Now, the brushless is even better- it doesn’t even notice the lug nuts as I remove them.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been using this for wheel changes (winter wheels) / rotations for a while, good for the 130 lb torque wheel lugs on the Ram, no complaints.

post #9 offers good advice pertaining to brand selection and batteries. I am a little mixed with Bosch and DeWalt and now have a preference towards DeWalt.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I've used a Milwaukee 1/4" impact driver with socket adapter for years, with little to no problems. The impact was rated a little over 100 ft-lbs, maybe 110, most lugs should be about 100 ft-lbs, of course some more, some less. I only really had problems taking off lugnuts that were over torqued. I think the brushes on it (impact driver) finally gave out, got it rebuilt, but I upgraded to a Milwaukee 1/2" Mid-Torque impact wrench, I think upwards to 600 ft-lbs. I've still came across some I have to use a breaker bar and cheater pipe on.
Long story short, just about any reputable tool brand 1/2" drive will do you, pick what you like, can afford and/or (probably most important) already have batteries for.

smashweights

Reaction score
Any of them will be fine. Everyone will list what they own. I have the Ridgid gen 5x. Pops lugs off in seconds. Massively better than using a manual wrench. You don't need the most powerful impact for lugs that are torqued to 140 ft-lbs. You can probably even get away with an impact driver if you want one tool that is more versatile. The Ridgid driver will do 185ft-lbs.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
I've used a Milwaukee 1/4" impact driver with socket adapter for years, with little to no problems. The impact was rated a little over 100 ft-lbs, maybe 110, most lugs should be about 100 ft-lbs, of course some more, some less. I only really had problems taking off lugnuts that were over torqued. I think the brushes on it (impact driver) finally gave out, got it rebuilt, but I upgraded to a Milwaukee 1/2" Mid-Torque impact wrench, I think upwards to 600 ft-lbs. I've still came across some I have to use a breaker bar and cheater pipe on.
Long story short, just about any reputable tool brand 1/2" drive will do you, pick what you like, can afford and/or (probably most important) already have batteries for.
2006 Honda Accord is 80 ft/lb, 2019 Ram is 130 ft/lb. I always finish off with the torque wrench unlike the tire shops I have seen/used (not anymore). It is a good idea to check the torque on wheels after getting tires/rotation as the setting can be above the car's owners manual rating and the the owner's "manual" skills and abilities to loosen the wheel lugs. Could be lower also but not to my experience.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
2006 Honda Accord is 80 ft/lb, 2019 Ram is 130 ft/lb. I always finish off with the torque wrench unlike the tire shops I have seen/used (not anymore). It is a good idea to check the torque on wheels after getting tires/rotation as the setting can be above the car's owners manual rating and the the owner's "manual" skills and abilities to loosen the wheel lugs. Could be lower also but not to my experience.
Usually always, in my experience. I absolutely refuse to let anyone take off or put on my tires for this reason

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 20v 1/2" porter cable that's been working great for me. My next set will be Milwaukee though, just hard to make the switch cause I have the whole 20v PC family.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Look beyond one tool because once you go down battery path you are married to the manufacture.
100% correct.

When choosing a battery-powered power tool, you need to first decide which brand you would like to invest in for future tools. This is because the batteries are a major expense for these tools. Unless you want to purchase multiple incompatible expensive batteries from more than one tool brand, decide upfront which brand you want to stick with. This way, once you own enough batteries for your purposes, you can purchase future tools without having to buy the battery or the charger as they usually sell the bare tools.

For the best performance and longevity, choose either Milwaukee or DeWalt. Milwaukee's usually test slightly better, but DeWalt's are usually a bit less expensive. Either choice will serve you well. There are other premium brands such as Bosch, Makita, Metabo, etc., but Milwaukee and DeWalt are a solid choice and offer virtually every power tool you'll need. Again, you're investing in the batteries and chargers as well as the tools, so choose your brand wisely and then stick with it.

If you don't use your power tools all that often, don't need the best in performance or reliably, and prefer to save money, Ryobi is a decent choice. While nowhere near as good as Milwaukee or DeWalt, they're not bad for casual, non-professional, DIY use. For a lower-tier brand, they offer a lot of choices in decent power tools for your investment in their batteries.

Jako

Reaction score
100% correct.

When choosing a battery-powered power tool, you need to first decide which brand you would like to invest in for future tools. This is because the batteries are a major expense for these tools. Unless you want to purchase multiple incompatible expensive batteries from more than one tool brand, decide upfront which brand you want to stick with. This way, once you own enough batteries for your purposes, you can purchase future tools without having to buy the battery or the charger as they usually sell the bare tools.

For the best performance and longevity, choose either Milwaukee or DeWalt. Milwaukee's usually test slightly better, but DeWalt's are usually a bit less expensive. Either choice will serve you well. There are other premium brands such as Bosch, Makita, Metabo, etc., but Milwaukee and DeWalt are a solid choice and offer virtually every power tool you'll need. Again, you're investing in the batteries and chargers as well as the tools, so choose your brand wisely and then stick with it.

If you don't use your power tools all that often, don't need the best in performance or reliably, and prefer to save money, Ryobi is a decent choice. While nowhere near as good as Milwaukee or DeWalt, they're not bad for casual, non-professional, DIY use. For a lower-tier brand, they offer a lot of choices in decent power tools for your investment in their batteries.
Rigid had some good deals with lifetime batteries from what I recall. Never purchased, used or warrantied any however. Companies have been bought/sold and reconfigured, Bosch makes a whole mess of stuff, Stanley- Black & Decker-DeWalt-Porter Cable fall under one corporation that Delta once belonged to, Milwaukee was purchased by a company that I believe built motors originally and are expanding into accessories, Makita from what I have been told is a stand alone "tool" company and Festool thinks their products are above and beyond at least their prices are.
Don't disagree with anyone's advice on this thread. Competition for the market has been great for the products and users.

Last edited:

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an older Bosch 18v HTH181B that was given to me so that's the one I use. The Bosch is bulky and tough to use in tight spaces but has plenty of torque. If I was purchasing one it would be the Dewalt 1/2-inch cordless impact wrench. the Dewalt has up to 700 ft-lbs of max torque and 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque and use the 20v platform the rest of my cordless tools use.

Users who are viewing this thread