5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse lighting upgrade

70runner

Reaction score
Love the Rebel EcoD and it's 25mpg around town, but one glaring (pardon the pun) inadequacy is the reverse lighting. Looked at the cube addons that some have used and the hitch receiver frame mounted lights, but wanted something less conspicuous. Settled on these and decided to mount them on the inner bumper valance adjacent to the sensor. If for some reason wanted to return to stock appearance, these valances are like $17 apiece so not a big deal.

light.jpg

Pair of these on Amazon for $22: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087JMB616?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Tied into the hitch harness reverse wire with Posi-tap for the 12v and grounded each light locally to a bolt which fastens the valance to the bumper.

12vtap.jpg

Mounted along with before/after from rear camera.

lights.jpg before.jpg after.jpg

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good, I am also disappointed in the reverse lights on my truck.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I really like this. I think I might do this. Your link to Amazon doesn't seem to work. Would you mind reposting it?

Tgryphon

Reaction score
Looks great, next thing I’m going to do to my truck.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like this. I think I might do this. Your link to Amazon doesn't seem to work. Would you mind reposting it?
Worked for me.
Screenshot_20211127-174803_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-174803_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20211127-174803_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 89

JC4041

Reaction score
That's the first thing I noticed the night we brought our Laramie home, I've been looking at different options that wouldn't hang down. These just may be the ticket. I was looking at different ones a while back, glad I didn't order them lol.

Last edited:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the Rebel EcoD and it's 25mpg around town, but one glaring (pardon the pun) inadequacy is the reverse lighting. Looked at the cube addons that some have used and the hitch receiver frame mounted lights, but wanted something less conspicuous. Settled on these and decided to mount them on the inner bumper valance adjacent to the sensor. If for some reason wanted to return to stock appearance, these valances are like $17 apiece so not a big deal.

View attachment 112308

Pair of these on Amazon for $22: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087JMB616?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Tied into the hitch harness reverse wire with Posi-tap for the 12v and grounded each light locally to a bolt which fastens the valance to the bumper.

View attachment 112311

View attachment 112312 View attachment 112313 View attachment 112314
Nice job! Do you have any nighttime pics from outside your truck that shows how much they light the area?

Choate

Reaction score
I got the cube ones. I like this option better but I’m ok w mine too

dss90c

Reaction score
I just finished completing this mod. My better half helped with testing them and she commented that they look like they are original equipment. Can't wait to see how much of an improvement they make at night.

johna151730

Reaction score

View attachment 112308

View attachment 112311

View attachment 112312 View attachment 112313 View attachment 112314
Thanks for the post. Did you posi-tap each light separately into the hitch harness?

zlman

Reaction score
There's a good sized thread here on reverse light add-ons, I followed that pretty close 2 yrs ago, lots of good options.
I like your install, very clean.
I went with with these, found them at Walmart, almost 2 yrs use, work great!
20211205_075402.jpg

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Guys - isn't there something simple like swapping out the rear white light bulb versus have to cut into a wire? They do look sharp but for those not want to splice in a wire hoping for another option..

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys - isn't there something simple like swapping out the rear white light bulb versus have to cut into a wire? They do look sharp but for those not want to splice in a wire hoping for another option..
If you have the stardard bulb tail lights, maybe. Lots of people with the LED tail lights have complained the reverse lights are not bright enough and there is no bulb to change so add-on lights are the only option for them to get more light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online