5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the estimated longevity of the Pentastar V6?

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
you can still get a 2021 1500 CLASSIC with the V6. no etorque!

jkumpeli

Reaction score
my engine oil cooler assy just went out at 27,000 miles on my 2019 V6 with etorque. luckily it's under warranty otherwise big $$$, but very concern about future reliability. Also side mirrors replaced since they malfunctioned. First time Ram owner...should of believed the historical quality issues!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
my engine oil cooler assy just went out at 27,000 miles on my 2019 V6 with etorque. luckily it's under warranty otherwise big $$$, but very concern about future reliability. Also side mirrors replaced since they malfunctioned. First time Ram owner...should of believed the historical quality issues!

Neither of those 2 issues are common, first time I've heard of either failure. The Ram has weakspots (like every truck) but those 2 aren't it in case you're wondering.

heyitsrobb

Reaction score
Made an account just to say my experience.
i don't have a ram, or a truck for that matter. i got a 2012 jeep wrangler with the 3.6 V6 Pentastar. I kinda like the engine. currently 234,139 on her odometer and only one real problem. around 220k the oil cooler blew its gaskets, and it was the first time i actually took her to someone. i looked around and found a few places that this is actually a somewhat common issue on the wrangler because of size constraints and placement of the cooler. Other than that ive had to replace the starter once.... and that was around 150k. Towing ability? {again wrangler} i easily pulled a 88 porsche 944 (2,932lbs) from Houston Tx to greenville Sc. no real problems and im haulling *** through atlanta at 3AM. uphill/downhill no issues. power is there when i need it merging texas highways and i havent really felt it slow down after almost ten years even though im starting to enjoy 60mph more than 85 nowaday. I love the engine even though i was wishing for the bulletproof inline 6 that easily got 600k from the previous model. hoping for the same results. Ill update you in 10 years.

hellmans

Reaction score
oil coolers....rocker arms...cam shafts...cylinder heads...2 stage oil pumps,,,all failures in the pentastar.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
100k miles on my 2017 Ram Pentastar. New gaskets on the oil cooler around 85k miles. Other than that, it's been a great engine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Gort Klatu

Reaction score
My 9 years of running a Pentastar:
Original owner, 2012 3.6 Wrangler Rubi. 143K. Today (12/02/21) at 143,460 the automatic transmission was serviced for the first time with a filter and fluid. No issues to date with the tranny. The original spark plugs were also replaced today. Now seems to run slightly smoother at 70 mph. Dropped it off at the shop yesterday to diagnose a slow coolant leak which turned out to be a cracked oil cooler. The cooler was replaced and since they had the top half of the engine off to get to it, there was access to the spark plugs on the drivers side so the plugs were done at the same time without charging for all that labor. A lot of work to do reach the 3 plugs on the drivers side. The only other issue in 9 years of California and Arizona operation was replacing the fuel pump located inside the gas tank last month at 143,276. Semi routine oil changes every 4K-6K with standard non synthetic oil. Happy camper.

Essbaum

Reaction score
2014 Jeep GC just rolled 110k miles. At 70k had both heads replaced due to the sticky valve issues from a few years ago and the cracked oil filter mount/cooler replaced. After that it has been trouble free since. I want and hope for another 100k

Boston

Reaction score
E torque batteries will be out there being reconditioned just like all other batteries in hybrid vehicles.

As for towing with the 3.6, remember, towing capacity reduces as weight inside the vehicle increases. So start with the weight inside the truck to calculate safe max trailer load.

SpikeMike

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 Pentastar. It has over 180,000 miles on it and still going great. I wouldn't have any problem taking a long trip in it right now. It runs great. I have replaced the oil cooler and had the lifters and rocker arms replaced. I think the newer engines have improved on these issues. I know the earlier engines had some cylinder head gasket issues but that seems to have almost disappeared from the newer engines.

I liked the engine so much that I got the RAM 1500 with it. I drive a lot and don't tow or haul heavy weights. Just a small camper or a small boat usually, sometimes a utility trailer. So for me, the gas mileage advertised was important.

The gas mileage is not as advertised. I get better than advertised mpg in the jeep. But I get terrible gas mileage in the truck. People with the hemi are getting better gas mileage than my truck.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 Pentastar. It has over 180,000 miles on it and still going great. I wouldn't have any problem taking a long trip in it right now. It runs great. I have replaced the oil cooler and had the lifters and rocker arms replaced. I think the newer engines have improved on these issues. I know the earlier engines had some cylinder head gasket issues but that seems to have almost disappeared from the newer engines.

I liked the engine so much that I got the RAM 1500 with it. I drive a lot and don't tow or haul heavy weights. Just a small camper or a small boat usually, sometimes a utility trailer. So for me, the gas mileage advertised was important.

The gas mileage is not as advertised. I get better than advertised mpg in the jeep. But I get terrible gas mileage in the truck. People with the hemi are getting better gas mileage than my truck.
What's you mpg with the truck

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

SpikeMike

Reaction score
Apologies. I didn't see this so I am late to respond. I'm lucky to get 20mpg with the truck. Usually it's lower than that.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apologies. I didn't see this so I am late to respond. I'm lucky to get 20mpg with the truck. Usually it's lower than that.
My Cousin has a 2020 Laramie 3.6 2WD Crew and he averaging 23-26mpg on the highway. 20mps seems really low.

I owned a 2014 Crew 2WD 3.6 with 3.55 gears a few years back and I would see about 17.5 in the city and about 23-24 on the highway.

1lowcab

Reaction score
Unless you are talking winter, with this crap winter blend gas and these cold teens and zero temps I get 20.
In the summer I get 23-24 mpg.

MontFla

Reaction score
There's hundreds of thousands of trucks running e torque with very few problems reported. I wouldn't be worried.
I love my 5.7 etorque. I was skeptical at first but would not trade it

Users who are viewing this thread