5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stiffer rear springs

apiazza

Reaction score
I'm planning out the suspension for my '19 big horn 4x4. I'm likely only going to level the front 2". In my 4th gen I used airlift 1000s to help compensate the sag when loaded or towing. I'm curious if anyone has found stock ride height or 1"ish lift stiffer rear springs that might he worth pairing? Most springs that I've found were 2" lift heavy duty.

If I go helper, any input on jounce bumper supports vs the air lift? I've had good luck with the in coil air bags.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

soSincerious

Reaction score
bags are great if you've already had experience then stick to that ...

otherwise just a coil swap to the ORG rear springs might suit you well. You'll end up with a 1" rake. loaded up might be lower than if you went stock w/helpers

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I had airlift 1000 in my 4th gen and they were great. Stepped up to a 2021 Rebel and the 1000hd bags don’t fill the coils all the way and they don’t eliminate as much sag as when the coils are full top to bottom. If I were to do it again on my rebel I’d go stand-alone helper air springs or spring swap from a local spring manufacturer (Standen’s).

apiazza

Reaction score
I had airlift 1000 in my 4th gen and they were great. Stepped up to a 2021 Rebel and the 1000hd bags don’t fill the coils all the way and they don’t eliminate as much sag as when the coils are full top to bottom. If I were to do it again on my rebel I’d go stand-alone helper air springs or spring swap from a local spring manufacturer (Standen’s).

Are the rebel springs the longer ORP springs? I wonder if they 1000s were not for those and may need to find the right height.

My only concern with a helper spring in a leveled application is that there still may be too much sag before they really take load. Apparently you get about 1" of normal upward travel before they contact. I like the set it and forget it over the airbags though.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ORP springs with Sumosprings with their spacer might be a good combo?

apiazza

Reaction score
ORP springs with Sumosprings with their spacer might be a good combo?
It's a good option. 1" lift in the rear will maintain some rake and then the helper to keep it from sagging too far. I need to track down pricing on the ORP springs plus selecting a longer shock.

apiazza

Reaction score
ORP or Bilsteins shocks?
ORP comes with bils 4600s I believe. Would likely upgrade to 5100 or 5160 for the little extra cost. The new rancho rs90000xl have my interest with 9 position compression adjustment designed to range from stock feel to firm to towing.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Are the rebel springs the longer ORP springs? I wonder if they 1000s were not for those and may need to find the right height.

My only concern with a helper spring in a leveled application is that there still may be too much sag before they really take load. Apparently you get about 1" of normal upward travel before they contact. I like the set it and forget it over the airbags though.

From what I understand the rebel and ORP springs are the same. The bags I have are the airlift 1000HD. Airlift has these recommended for the rebel, but I think the bags should be at least an inch longer if not 2.5” to fill the coil at unladen ride height.

vandersnoot

Reaction score
To the OP...if you want to try the Rebel rear springs/shocks you can have mine if you pay for shipping (from Northern CA). Shoot me a PM if interested.

apiazza

Reaction score
To the OP...if you want to try the Rebel rear springs/shocks you can have mine if you pay for shipping (from Northern CA). Shoot me a PM if interested.
I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks!

Burner_After

Reaction score
I have a 1500 Bighorn 4x4 without the ORG. I'm looking to add the ORG springs in front and rear to get 1" total lift all around. Can I do this without changing any other components (shocks?) or is there more to it? I also am looking for an all-around slightly stiffer ride over stock. Will the ORG springs accomplish this or will I need to swap shocks? Thanks for the help. Suspension is my weakest area

apiazza

Reaction score
I have a 1500 Bighorn 4x4 without the ORG. I'm looking to add the ORG springs in front and rear to get 1" total lift all around. Can I do this without changing any other components (shocks?) or is there more to it? I also am looking for an all-around slightly stiffer ride over stock. Will the ORG springs accomplish this or will I need to swap shocks? Thanks for the help. Suspension is my weakest area
The answer is yes and no.

In the rear you will need a longer shock to accommodate the longer spring. In the front you are using a lifting coil (combo of length and spring rate), technically you could use the factory strut but I think it's ill advised. The factory ORG shocks and struts are bilstein 4600s. Decent pieces, but if you are going to do all that labor in the front I would upgrade the strut to a 5100, 61122, eibach pro truck or something of the like.

Factory coils with better shocks should net you an improved suspension response and feel without being harsh.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
The ORG springs are 1” taller but do not handle weight any better. I swear you throw one sandbag in the bed and you can see it sag. Ok I might be a little dramatic, but the springs make for a nicer ride but are certainly not leaf springs for carrying weight. I’d still look at bags. They’re going to be your best bet. Keep the springs for ride quality when not loaded. HD springs might help some but then you have an HD ride every time you drive it. Just my two cents and that’s all it’s worth!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These coil springs are progressive; that means the first inch will sag quicker than the second. "Truck King" youtube channel regularly throws 1000 pound concrete blocks in the back of the trucks they are testing, and every half ton has sagged the same amount: 2 inches. That's including the GM, Ford, and Ram half tons.

The reason they sag so quickly is to give you a lighter/cushy ride, the reason they progressively get stiffer is so that you can still carry weight.

Unless you are severely loaded down, a propery setup WDH should keep you pretty level.

Users who are viewing this thread