5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much weight can I put in the bed of my truck

lasani1121

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2019 Ram Rebel 5.7 V8 with the air suspension. This is my family vehicle and i don't really do any heavy loading in the bed of the truck. However, i have to pick up about 1,900 pounds of tile on a pallet from Floor and Decor. My question is how much weight can I load in the bed of the truck?

I am reading online that this truck can hold 2,300 and then other articles that are confusing me with lower numbers.

Any help will be appreciated.

cleandirt

Reaction score
Your payload is printing on a tag on your drivers side door jam. The payload includes what you put in the bed, the occupants of the truck and whatever else you might have in the cab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cleandirt

Reaction score
1900# is almost certainly way over your payload, you could put it in a trailer rated to hold that much weight and tow it. The payload for each truck is different depending on its options, if you have a Rebel with Ram boxes, a multi function tailgate, and a sunroof your payload will be less than one without those options. The advertised payload is for a particular trim of truck with particular options, most trucks don’t come close to the advertised payload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can load more than the payload, but really only for short trips. You do not want to go cross country overloaded. It just isn't "safe". With the air suspension make sure you go to Normal ride height. Try to load as close to the cab as possible and load it gently, do not drop it all on at once.

I hauled home a load of portland cement 100# bags, 1300lbs over my payload. 26 bags total fit in the bed. Truck rode fine, but, you could feel it was heavy in turns. Go slow and remember you can't stop nearly as well.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So lets go with facts

Your payload is listed on your door jamb.

GVWR is 7100lbs

Front Axle rating is 3900 and rear is 4100

A gas truck has a 60/40 weight split empty.

As for the 2300 lbs. That is for a very specific truck. A quad cab 2wd with the dana super 60 axle. No one here has that truck

Only way to be sure of your payload is on your door sticker...or the VIN lookup tool

So once you get that number...use it...but for now we will assume the avg 1500 payload of...1500lbs

7100 minus 1500 is 5600

So that means your front axle has 3360 lbs on it and the rear has 2240.

So in theory you could safely load 1860lbs in the bed.

So...yeah. You are gonna be overloaded...unless you just happen to have more than 1500lbs of payload and nothing else in the truck.
For about 50 bucks you can rent a Uhaul trailer

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some people have mentioned liking to know how the 2500 trucks match up to these 1500s

So here is a comparison.

My truck has 10000 GVWR and 5500 front and 6500 rear axle rating. My payload is 2998.

So 10000 minus 2998 is 7002

4201 front and 2800 rear.

With the 1900lbs in the bed...i still have 1800lbs of capacity.

Here is a scale slip with the 8 foot bed loaded with wood. 20190530_230111.jpg 20201031_152345.jpg

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jeez, is there no simple answer to the man’s question ? How much weight, give or take for a fat driver, can he put in the bed of his truck ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jeez, is there no simple answer to the man’s question ? How much weight, give or take for a fat driver, can he put in the bed of his truck ?

He can put whatever the hell he wants in it.

But there is an easy way to know what is safe.

I gave formula for the answer. As soon as he comes back with the payload he will know.

The avg 1500 it is 1860lbs

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He can put whatever the hell he wants in it.

But there is an easy way to know what is safe.

I gave formula for the answer. As soon as he comes back with the payload he will know.

The avg 1500 it is 1860lbs

Ask the OP if that answered his question ….

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ask the OP if that answered his question ….

How else should his question be answered.

I gave him all the numbers. And a sample answer.

I can not do anymore than that.

It seems the air suspension throws a code at 2000lbs.

And others have loaded more...safe...probably not...but sure it can do it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The funny thing is..this exact question was just asked. Not to very long ago. Same 1900lbs of tile. That guy got a trailer. The guy before that...he did two loads. The guy before that...he paid for delivery.

If he comes back with a payload...i will even do the math for him again...i would load the 1900lbs and come home. Others vacuum the air out when they close their bed cover.

What other answer should we give him?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The funny thing is..this exact question was just asked. Not to very long ago. Same 1900lbs of tile. That guy got a trailer. The guy before that...he did two loads. The guy before that...he paid for delivery.

If he comes back with a payload...i will even do the math for him again...i would load the 1900lbs and come home. Others vacuum the air out when they close their bed cover.

What other answer should we give him?

How does the website and door jamb sticker not give the definitive answer to this question ?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How does the website and door jamb sticker not give the definitive answer to this question ?

Because he obviously was not happy with that number.

There is extra axle capacity. 8000 total pounds. Or 900 more than GVWR. If he loads the truck wisely he can use that extra capacity.

But...he will compromise steering and braking as he will lift weight from the front and possibly be over GVWR. It is a fudge factor of the limits.

Or, he can load it however he feels free. Just glad I am not around

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IF he comes back with the payload he will know exactly what the safe weight is and what the maximum fudge weight is. And then he can make an informed decision.

I am always hauling near GVWR and sometimes near Axle weight. I know to go under the speed limit and use a lower gear to allow the engine to slow the load. I know that my steering will be changed and stopping distances are increased.

All I know about the OP is that he has a rebel it is his family vehicle and he wants to haul alot of Tile. He does not haul heavy and he read the wrong payload number for his truck online somewhere.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lol i did the same but on stock rebel suspension two pallets of tiles about 2k lbs pounds my sticker is 1400 payload with no air suspension , i just took it nice and slow
it can be done for sure if you have a air suspension and wont be any real issues just drive slow and slow down alot sooner

btw dont worry guys i do not do this all the time tile delivery truck broke down and i wouldnt get my tiles for another two weeks so i grabbed them

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ha. This is why I took a few weeks away from internet. Lol. Guys want an answer...but they really just want approval...hahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online