5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather dash delamination 2019 Laramie longhorn

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Anybody had the leather das start to delaminate and peel up on the dash board? My dash just started trick. Drove to dealer last Friday 10/22/21 and showed the service writer. He took pictures, took vin # took mileage (11,250 +/-), and basically told me expect 6 months before a new dash gets in. Truck sat on the dealer lot for a year, I bought it August 2020, been undercover in a big shed ever since.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
For $320 I’d bite the bullet and replace it, even if you decide to get rid of it I’m sure you’ll be hit harder on trade in value more then that $320 if you just leave it like it is .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It would take a lot more than $320 to get me out of my current truck. It took long enough to find the truck I wanted with the features and color I wanted. I'd have to order one to replicate this truck, and with the shortages it's likely it wouldn't be as well equipped as this one is. I just noticed yesterday that you can't even get the Limited Level 1 Equipment Group anymore. No rear ventilated seats, no ACC or lane keep assist, no surround view camera. And they also removed the Technology group, so no digital rearview mirror and no HUD. That's a deal-breaker for me.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Been a month since I took the dash delam issue in, no word yet from my service writer, radio getting glitchy again - maybe I ought to make a trip over, so they can have a new radio on the shelf waiting, do it all at once.... Merry Christmas to me, right? Another issue is I am planning a move 300 miles east - be moving to a new dealership who doesn't care cause I didn't buy it from them. It just keeps getting better and better.

apontejavier1

Reaction score
Anybody had the leather das start to delaminate and peel up on the dash board? My dash just started trick. Drove to dealer last Friday 10/22/21 and showed the service writer. He took pictures, took vin # took mileage (11,250 +/-), and basically told me expect 6 months before a new dash gets in. Truck sat on the dealer lot for a year, I bought it August 2020, been undercover in a big shed ever since.
My 2019 long horn was replaced in 3 weeks. It looks nice. Got my truck back in 2 days. They also replaced the driver side rear view mirror. So far no more issues.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Update on Dash Replacement: Went by dealership before Christmas to get oil changed. Checked on progress of dash replacement workorder - dash is on back order. Of course this is after I had revealed to service writer I would be moving at some point in the near future. (Dang it, probably should NOT have told him) He response is he will cancel his workorder, and I will have to re-enter a repair claim at the new dealership where I am moving - when I get there. (am I seeing smoke and mirrors?)

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
UPDATE: Feb 4th 2022, after all these months I called the dealer about my replacement dash, seems as it was scheduled to come in Wed Feb 2nd, good I said, I am moving on the 7th. I scheduled a service date for them receiving the truck that afternoon, with the work to be done Thurs. and Friday, of course it got cold and they shut down for the day on Thursday, Called today, they are about 75% complete on reassembly, I should have it back Saturday noon. We shall see. They are also going to charge me $650 because they say the adaptive seat AND base, plus the hand controls need to come out to provide room to R&R the dash ( I guess they need to pull that big honking console and the passenger seat too (but that's on FCA, not me). seems to me they coul take the four bolts attaching the seat to the base, pull the seat, leave the base, then pull the two Chicago screws holding the handle onto the control rods and slide everything off. But hey, what do I know right? I am just an old farm boy had to kept his junk running for 60 years on a wing and a prayer. I will keep y'all posted

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Update: March 19, 2022 Nyle Maxwell completed installation of new dash Feb 5th 2022, prior to my move on Feb 7. They did charge me close to $400 to 'remove and replace' non-OEM items ( my hand controls and Turney seat) saying it was necessary to remove and reinstall the dash unit. Whether they actually did remove the equipment I don't know, I didn't have time to paint any nuts or screws with white-out to determine if they had been removed. I picked up my vehicle and left town the following Monday, during the 230 mile trip, the onboard computers were a little flaky, and that seems to be continuing, though less frequently the more moles I drive ( almost like it has to re-learn my driving habits). The tech appears to have done a great job, no extra damage to interior, and all options seem to function on demand. (I have noticed my #1 HDMI port is sensitive to jump drive insertion and may not work unless wiggled, then will drop out again #2 port functions ok). One other thing I have noticed, the the left side of the curved dash molding over the instrument cluster is separating from the cluster module, right side is tight. I now have 15,200 miles (was probably 14250 when I took it in for dash r&r). Ya'll got any ideas or recommendations? (Thanks in advance)

smashweights

Reaction score
Update: March 19, 2022 Nyle Maxwell completed installation of new dash Feb 5th 2022, prior to my move on Feb 7. They did charge me close to $400 to 'remove and replace' non-OEM items ( my hand controls and Turney seat) saying it was necessary to remove and reinstall the dash unit. Whether they actually did remove the equipment I don't know, I didn't have time to paint any nuts or screws with white-out to determine if they had been removed. I picked up my vehicle and left town the following Monday, during the 230 mile trip, the onboard computers were a little flaky, and that seems to be continuing, though less frequently the more moles I drive ( almost like it has to re-learn my driving habits). The tech appears to have done a great job, no extra damage to interior, and all options seem to function on demand. (I have noticed my #1 HDMI port is sensitive to jump drive insertion and may not work unless wiggled, then will drop out again #2 port functions ok). One other thing I have noticed, the the left side of the curved dash molding over the instrument cluster is separating from the cluster module, right side is tight. I now have 15,200 miles (was probably 14250 when I took it in for dash r&r). Ya'll got any ideas or recommendations? (Thanks in advance)
I presume you mean USB not HDMI? Was this an issue before? I can't imagine anything they did messed up the USB ports. If you're talking about the dash pad subsection over the gauges being loose that's what happened with mine, a small clip had fallen out and wasn't in place.

texan

Reaction score
I noted the same leather bubbles on dash, took it in to dealer and told out of warranty 38000 miles. Said I could contact customer service, what a joke. They told me not covered. After paying over 50,000 for this would think the quality would be better, but I forgot, a Chrysler is a Chrysler no matter who owns it. Will get it fixed and get rid of it and go back to Ford.

aodetailnj

Reaction score
This isn’t an issue exclusive to Chrysler. Many cars with real leather dashes can shrink over time due to heat/UV damage. Can’t tell you how many Bentley, Ferrari, Range Rover, Jaguar etc dashes I’ve seen do the same thing. And guess what? They tell their customer the same thing, out of warranty, not our problem. Be thankful it isn’t a $3-6,000 fix like some of those cars

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noted the same leather bubbles on dash, took it in to dealer and told out of warranty 38000 miles. Said I could contact customer service, what a joke. They told me not covered. After paying over 50,000 for this would think the quality would be better, but I forgot, a Chrysler is a Chrysler no matter who owns it. Will get it fixed and get rid of it and go back to Ford.
LOL, I work for Mercedes, I have had better quality in my Honda. The issue isn't just Chrysler, as said above, most cars with a leather dash that is exposed to the sun starts to delaminate. Mercedes S Classes are notorious for this. Mercedes is no different, its covered while you are in warranty and then you are SOL when you are out. That is with any manufacture.

bigmac5166

Reaction score
Just a heads up, Ford had massive issues with warped dashes on the F150's. One dealer near me had every single truck on the lot with the issue. It's amazing how no one seems to be able to get dashes right anymore.

RevRon

Reaction score
Yeah, gents, I bought a 2019 Laramie Longhorn and found the dash to be delaminating. It is still under factory warranty. I took it to the dealer and they will replace it, but keep putting me off. They are saying there are no dashes like this in the supply chain and the subcontractor is not producing them right now. I wonder if they ever will since these are specialized dashes? Any idea who the subcontractor actually is? I will call them! Any suggestions?

navyhemi

Reaction score
having my dash replaced, auto steps replaced, wheels replaced, steering wheel replaced, ram boxes replaced on Tuesday, after waiting since August last year, this truck is a POS, I bought it as a retirement gift when I retired from the Navy, and the dealers suck, so beware. I had to call RAM to get my parts finally, and they came in a week, stay on the dealer if you wait longer than a month call RAM. Also anyone doing a law suit, I want in. This is my third Ram and my last, had them for 30 years. They lost my business

Attachments

• 20210430_144726.jpg
    20210430_144726.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210826_163451.jpg
    20210826_163451.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210826_163657.jpg
    20210826_163657.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210826_163725.jpg
    20210826_163725.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210826_163618.jpg
    20210826_163618.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210826_164038.jpg
    20210826_164038.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 43

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
having my dash replaced, auto steps replaced, wheels replaced, steering wheel replaced, ram boxes replaced on Tuesday, after waiting since August last year, this truck is a POS, I bought it as a retirement gift when I retired from the Navy, and the dealers suck, so beware. I had to call RAM to get my parts finally, and they came in a week, stay on the dealer if you wait longer than a month call RAM. Also anyone doing a law suit, I want in. This is my third Ram and my last, had them for 30 years. They lost my business
Woah…I’ll count my blessings! Sorry to hear you’ve had such a rough go of it.

Users who are viewing this thread