5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the correct PSI for these tires?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to come off as a jerk by this next statement. To the people who are disagreeing with my post; where are you getting your information from, what training have you had, are you in the automotive field that deals with lifted/non lifted trucks/jeeps ect... ? Or are you going your info off your buddy,mom,dad,wiki,youtube,bathroom stall door....

Where are you? Off a pc screen at work? Go put 36psi in a 10ply tire on a 1500 truck and let me know how it wears 50k down the road and how bad they feel.

This isn’t uncommon knowledge.

If all else fails he can do the chalk test and confirm what us who have ran these tires have already said..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nick57

Reaction score
Where are you? Off a pc screen at work? Go put 36psi in a 10ply tire on a 1500 truck and let me know how it wears 50k down the road and how bad they feel.

This isn’t uncommon knowledge.

If all else fails he can do the chalk test and confirm what us who have ran these tires have already said..

Nice try. I work at the counter and do help back in the shop from time to time. Like I said, what do you do for a living? I do this for a living almost everyday and have for almost 25 years now. And the fact that you said a 10 ply tire makes me laugh being that the current ratings have NOTHING to do with the amount of layers(plies) in the construction of a tire. So if you're going to try and call me out like that better check YOUR facts first. FYI I'm currently running a F load range 35x12.50r20 on my 1500 @ 38 psi :cool: ✌️

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
And I’m sure it feels floaty and will wear the edges out before 50k.

My last set toyos I had a little over 50k on them and I probably could have squeezed another 5k.

My current set I have around 30k on them.

And yes I’m aware there aren’t physically 10plys on modern tires but it’s a reference most people associate with.

But at least you help out in the shop from time to time.

Chalk test doesn’t lie

Nick57

Reaction score
And I’m sure it feels floaty and will wear the edges out before 50k.

My last set toyos I had a little over 50k on them and I probably could have squeezed another 5k.

My current set I have around 30k on them.

And yes I’m aware there aren’t physically 10plys on modern tires but it’s a reference most people associate with.

But at least you help out in the shop from time to time.

Chalk test doesn’t lie

you never said what you do for a living. I've been having health issues that prevent me from doing it on a daily basis. If someone would not have tboned me last week I would take a video for you proving that not only me but the companies who've I had training through are right. So yet again keyboard warrior what do you do for a living?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Which is great and I thank you for that I was about to give up on a simple task.

I grew up in my uncles auto shop that mainly serviced larger trucks, working my way through college to be a helicopter mechanic is where I learned all this stuff.

I don’t need to prove my credentials or state my degrees to know that the door sticker of a truck only identifies with the tire/rating that came with that particular truck Oem. When changing to a different rated tire, that door sticker is irrelevant.

Op is changing to a different tire that requires a different psi to ride and wear properly. WHICH some of us who commented have already tried the chalk test with them and talked to the manufacture which tell us to run low to mid 40psi.

This isn’t rocket science.. and it doesn’t need to turn into a pudding contest

Last edited:

Nick57

Reaction score
You're correct it's not rocket science but you are wrong on what you are saying about the pressure you should be running in these tires. I would believe you on mechanical stuff when it comes to helicopters if that's what you are doing. However when it comes to aftermarket tires that are not the same size/rating then the OEM ones that is MY field and what I do for a living. So why keep arguing with a professional in the field? I work with a lot of these tire manufactures on almost a daily basis. I'm not talking about the people who work in a call center who are given a blanket script, I'm talking about the people who develop these tires. I even on the occasion am part of the people who test different designs they are working on and give feed back on how to make them better. I posted up because I don't want people to spread miss information esp when it comes down to a safety thing. Which under/over inflating your tires can be. Basically in short please stop spreading information that is incorrect. Which in this case you are.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You're correct it's not rocket science but you are wrong on what you are saying about the pressure you should be running in these tires. I would believe you on mechanical stuff when it comes to helicopters if that's what you are doing. However when it comes to aftermarket tires that are not the same size/rating then the OEM ones that is MY field and what I do for a living. So why keep arguing with a professional in the field? I work with a lot of these tire manufactures on almost a daily basis. I'm not talking about the people who work in a call center who are given a blanket script, I'm talking about the people who develop these tires. I even on the occasion am part of the people who test different designs they are working on and give feed back on how to make them better. I posted up because I don't want people to spread miss information esp when it comes down to a safety thing. Which under/over inflating your tires can be. Basically in short please stop spreading information that is incorrect. Which in this case you are.

Again, I maybe confused here, but aren't we almost all saying the same thing in some way or another?

In a nutshell Nick, what is it exactly you are saying about recommended tire pressures so we can be clear?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

So explain to me why a normal ram 1500 and a rebel have two different psi ratings for two different types of tires on the same truck with the same capacity.

Are you saying if I put the Oem rebel tires on my normal 1500 I should run them at 36psi instead of the recommended 45 psi like the rebel even though they are the same truck?

Again, chalk test doesn’t lie.

Nick57

Reaction score
So explain to me why a normal ram 1500 and a rebel have two different psi ratings for two different types of tires on the same truck with the same capacity.

Are you saying if I put the Oem rebel tires on my normal 1500 I should run them at 36psi instead of the recommended 45 psi like the rebel even though they are the same truck?

Again, chalk test doesn’t lie.

What suspension does your Rebel and your Laramie have? If they both have the coil spring suspension the suspensions are different and not the same. The manufacturer of the vehicles want certain pressures in the tires so the suspensions react and feel a certain way. Like I said in my org post here just because the amount (volume) of air increases to fill a larger void (tire) the pressure to create the patch and feed back does not change. (with in reason) IE going from a stock 28" tall tire to a 35" tall tire on the same size rim will not be a pleasant experience for the driver with out increasing the pressure of the tire to help reduce tire wobble. downside is it can and will make the tire more rigid "bouncy" and cause the center of the tire to wear prematurely. Now when you are not going a very large difference in size and staying with the same type of tire ie radial to radial or bias to bias then you want to be with in 5psi of the door sticker plus or minus to achieve a proper foot print and ride from the tire. As to why they want such a different psi on some of the Rebels. I do not know I did not design the truck or the suspension. Do me a favor since you keep talking about the chalk test. I want you to prove it. Video yourself doing the chalk test @ 10psi... 20psi... 36psi... 45psi... and 65psi. And show us the results in the video. I bet what you find will shock you.

LouNY

Reaction score
From the door sticker on a 2019 Laramie with stock 18's and the ORP;
door tire sticker (2).jpg
I do run the fronts at 37-38 PSI with the rears at 36 PSI untill I load the truck heavy at which time I do 38 PSI front and 40 PSI rear
But tomorrow she will be getting will be getting a set of LT265/70R18's studded snows on her and we will start out at 38-40 PSI
in the front and 36-38 PSI in the rear and then I be watching the tires to see how the wear pattern looks.

The attached link has all the information that you need to figure correctly what air pressure you need in your tires;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjH6Yic2KD0AhUCtjEKHWujBG8QFnoECB4QAQ&url=https://www.tsxclub.com/attachments/discount-tire-inflation-1-pdf.47187/&usg=AOvVaw2GVbMm_0gf6qHTPuEG5W6p

As an example from the "C" range chart my placards 38 PSI on a load rated 113 tire, is rated to carry a load of 2145 pounds per tire;
to my "E" range tires which are load rated at 124 would be under 35 PSI for a max load of 2335 pounds per tire.

Also the door placard provides the tire pressure required for the maximum rated axle weight your truck is rated for.

PS. if you really want to dial in the required air pressure for the load being carried get yourself a tire pyrometer and drive your truck at speed for half an hour and check the temperatures across the face of the tire, do 5 points on the tread and adjust for an even temperature or as close as you can get.
Much better then a chalk mark on a tire, you can also get a good idea on a slightly muddy or snow covered road.
If on on a snow covered road the center of your tire is cupped up it needs more air, if not it has too much.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
As to why they want such a different psi on some of the Rebels. I do not know I did not design the truck or the suspension..

Because they are different rated tires. That’s why.

But I’m out.

Op has the info he needs from people who ran the tires he wants.

Nick57

Reaction score
Again, I maybe confused here, but aren't we almost all saying the same thing in some way or another?

In a nutshell Nick, what is it exactly you are saying about recommended tire pressures so we can be clear?
Not exactly and that's kind of the problem. I'm saying do NOT go off what the sidewall of a tire says for the PSI it should be filled to. It's only showing the max it can handle not what it should be filled too. The door jam sticker on your vehicle has that information and does NOT change with tire size as I explained in a earlier post here. Now there is a grace of plus or minus 5 psi of that recommendation to get the desired ride for the end user. In certain situations you will def deviate from that IE when I go off-roading in my JEEP I run at 6-12psi depending on what I'm doing. When I'm driving it on the road the I air back up to 35 psi. (door sticker says 32) The og tire was a 215/75r15 "27-28" tall tire.

Nick57

Reaction score
Because they are different rated tires. That’s why.

But I’m out.

Op has the info he needs from people who ran the tires he wants.

yea that's the only reason..............

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not exactly and that's kind of the problem. I'm saying do NOT go off what the sidewall of a tire says for the PSI it should be filled to. It's only showing the max it can handle not what it should be filled too. The door jam sticker on your vehicle has that information and does NOT change with tire size as I explained in a earlier post here. Now there is a grace of plus or minus 5 psi of that recommendation to get the desired ride for the end user. In certain situations you will def deviate from that IE when I go off-roading in my JEEP I run at 6-12psi depending on what I'm doing. When I'm driving it on the road the I air back up to 35 psi. (door sticker says 32) The og tire was a 215/75r15 "27-28" tall tire.

I don't remember anyone saying you should use the high on the sidewall for your PSI. I pretty much stated that everyone I speak with, from the dealership to the tire manufacturer to the tire sellers/installers all say to use the door decal.

Some of us adjust a little bit based on feel, some think a completely different type of tire with a completely different high/low range should probably use a different PSI than recommended. But in the end, we don't really truly know, since no one from the tires makers or auto manufacturer is giving any other advice other than the door sticker.

If I put a set of Nitto Grapplers of a larger size on my RAM than the stock 33" Duratracs, with different ply construction and different low/high PSI range, the only solid answer I will get from anyone is use the door decal recommendation of 55 / 45. I'm honestly not sure if that is right. While a similar truck in configuration to my Rebel, with the ORP but different branded A/T tires has a door decal with 36 or 32 psi for all 4 tires.

If a Rebel and a similar ORP truck, both running similar sized A/T tires, similar weight and equipment have completely different psi ratings on the door decal, what can the reason be other than the different tires themselves? If that is the case, then why should I be running the exact same psi for a completely different tire I may change to?

Last edited:

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like a lotta grumpy a$$ to do about PSI …. Offer your input, and let the OP decide …. Next thread

Users who are viewing this thread