5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Undercoating?

kendcc

Reaction score
NHOU Black Wax
I was looking at NHOU. How is it holding up for you?? I was going to spray fluid film on my JKU, but will probably wait until spring since it's getting colder out (I'm in MA), but will want to take the RAM to VT skiing, so don't want to wait.

Redtrucks

Reaction score
Bighorn purchased October 2020 and I used fluid film from new. ND driven where there is a lot of salt, salt brine, and beet juice used on the roads. Just touched up areas that might have washed after a year and impressed that very little has washed away and no rust on any steel.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This was my last 2017 truck after 4 years of northern pa salt brine winters and acf50. Everything cleans up so nice. I would spray it down in the fall and in the spring I’d wipe it down.

I don’t have any pics of my 08 on my phone. But it looked similar.

efcafd3dac25b8ae4946d5eb137a76b9.jpg

a8f22c3cc0637cca9e4d205c8cb8c339.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deebeezie

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, because I just don’t know, for those who have used LineX type of undercoatings, how is replacing/repairing parts or equipment underneath all of that type of coatings? I understand they spray everything except the exhaust and driveshaft?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
This was my last 2017 truck after 4 years of northern pa salt brine winters and acf50. Everything cleans up so nice. I would spray it down in the fall and in the spring I’d wipe it down.

efcafd3dac25b8ae4946d5eb137a76b9.jpg

a8f22c3cc0637cca9e4d205c8cb8c339.jpg

Is one can enough to coat the underside of your truck? I go through a touchless car wash that sprays the undercarriage a few times throughout the winter to get the salt off of my truck. Will that remove the ACF50?

Jeeper

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, because I just don’t know, for those who have used LineX type of undercoatings, how is replacing/repairing parts or equipment underneath all of that type of coatings? I understand they spray everything except the exhaust and driveshaft?
Line-x is not sprayed underneath for rust protection typically. Great for coating panels for protection. Underside is best sprayed with a quality synthetic undercoating. Dripless formulas allow for less mess and a long lasting protection. I get all my vehicles done yearly at local Oil Gard.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Deebeezie

Reaction score
Line-x is not sprayed underneath for rust protection typically. Great for coating panels for protection. Underside is best sprayed with a quality synthetic undercoating. Dripless formulas allow for less mess and a long lasting protection. I get all my vehicles done yearly at local Oil Gard.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Thanks for that education. I live in Florida, so no need for it.

Cheers!

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Is one can enough to coat the underside of your truck? I go through a touchless car wash that sprays the undercarriage a few times throughout the winter to get the salt off of my truck. Will that remove the ACF50?

Yeah one can is good. And it’s kinda oily so not really. When I would put my summer wheels on I would just wipe it off my coil overs and they looked like they never saw salt

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
I just sprayed some rubberized coating under mine mostly to keep out more noise but I would guess it does the same thing as a fluid film just not as well. $7 a can I used two

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score

You have my attention. I'm going to look into acf50. My truck is kind of a tacky, oily mess underneath with using Krown and Fluid Film.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought about doing this. Central PA, so I definitely see some salt. However, it doesn't snow heavy enough often enough for them to use it all that frequently. I also make a concerted effort to get the undercarriage washed 2-3 times per winter (and a couple times outside of that) so I am thinking it might be overkill for me to do this every year.

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
I have a question about the ACF50. I live in northern MN and we have long winters with all kinds of salt on the roads. I have never done any rust prevention and have had very minimal rust that I would get fixed on my rockers in old trucks. I dont want that to happen to my Ram as it is the first vehicle I ever bought new and want to keep it rust free as long as possible.

How do I use this stuff? Do I just spray it everywhere underneath? Is there anything that I can't spray it on? Should I spray both sides of the body panels or just the underside?

Any help is appreciated, we already have about 6 inches on the ground.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If you google or YouTube acf50 application there are a few vids.

Here is one

It’s oil that “creeps” so I spray upwards on the Inner body panels, and it creeps down.

Aircraftspruce.com is usually where I buy it. You can buy it in the aerosol or just in a bottle and use a weed sprayer if you want

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking at NHOU. How is it holding up for you?? I was going to spray fluid film on my JKU, but will probably wait until spring since it's getting colder out (I'm in MA), but will want to take the RAM to VT skiing, so don't want to wait.
It holds up great. Had it from day one on my 2015 and got it within a month of getting the 2020. With the wax undercoating I go in for a $99 touchup every 2 years and watch them squirt maybe 2 or three squirts as it doesn't seem to wear off. They use oil in the frame/rocker/hood etc.

I cant speak for their oil treatment.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This 2021 truck that I have would be the first time I just went out and bought some rustolium pro undercarriage spray. I didn’t go crazy with it, and did lots of research into how to spray it…but still messed up a little. I really just sprayed it in the high salt, area that we get here in Jersey….like the tire wells, areas right behind the tires, and just a quick coat on the frame that I can reach.

Really good reviews for rustoleum, fluid film and crc. I You tube search and found project farm. That guy did some heavy duty test and helped me out with my decision

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

The_Dude

Reaction score
This 2021 truck that I have would be the first time I just went out and bought some rustolium pro undercarriage spray. I didn’t go crazy with it, and did lots of research into how to spray it…but still messed up a little. I really just sprayed it in the high salt, area that we get here in Jersey….like the tire wells, areas right behind the tires, and just a quick coat on the frame that I can reach.

Really good reviews for rustoleum, fluid film and crc. I You tube search and found project farm. That guy did some heavy duty test and helped me out with my decision

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)
I use woolwax, it's a little thicker than fluid film and works great!

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Im doing the new Blaster Surface Shield.
Supposed to last 2 years.
Just got a case and some spray gun type attachments for the cans.
I plan to do it myself with some ramps in the driveway.
Cheap piece of mind.

Fyi the rubberized coatings are generally frowned upon because the metal can rust under the coating as it traps moisture.

Fluid Film and other oil/cosmoline types seem best, but need re applied.

The new Blaster Surface Shield seems to go on oily like fluid film, but not completely wash off on areas like the axle, leaving behind some type of protection.

And if it really last 2yrs thats a huge bonus.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I coated my undercarriage with ACF-50 this afternoon. I covered a 10' x 20' spot on my garage floor with plastic so I wouldn't get that stuff all over my concrete. I coated the rear end, suspension components, frame, and hitch. It took me 1.5 hours with the aerosol can. I had to spray it on and then spread it around to coat everything evenly. The aerosol can sprayed the product out in a narrow stream that splattered quite a bit. When I do it next time, I'll buy the 32 oz. bottle and apply it with a pump sprayer. With a pump spray bottle, I think I'll be able to apply it as a mist and coat the surfaces more evenly without having to wipe it down.
20211204_162709.jpg 20211204_162822.jpg

Chris3058

Reaction score
In Canada. Central Ontario. Krown rustproofing. Annual spray. Works amazing. Been using it for 20+ Years. Our military sprays their vehicles with it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread