5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Park In a Normal Size Garage?

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
I do not park in our garage currently as my truck won't fit with my wife's car and all the stuff we have stored in there. But, we are building a new house now (should be done around Christmas) and they made the garage a tad bigger. The inside dimensions from where the garage door will be is 21'x21.5' with an 18' wide by 7' tall garage door. My truck should fit just fine, right? I have a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab short bed. Not lifted or anything.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe you will be 19’5” tip to tail …. Is it too late to get an 8’ garage door ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79 300

Reaction score
Your truck is 232.9" long, which is 19.4 feet. It should fit. You won't have much room in front of it for a workbench, refrigerator, or much else though.

alpha_brit

Reaction score
Sounds like you'll have enough room to walk in front of or behind your truck with the door shut and that's about it. Our door is 7' tall but the cased opening is a bit shorter. I'd confirm they aren't clipping the corners when finishing out the garage door. I'd also keep a close eye on clearance with the garage door opener. I ended up with the release handle for the door closed in the truck door when I back it in to load it once.

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
Yeah the door is already built. So can't change it now. Where I will park the garage door opener won't be an issue, thankfully. As long as it fits, that's all I am concerned with. I also plan to get a new carport for extra parking anyway, so it will definitely fit under that. Either way it will be out of the weather, which is so much better than now. Maybe I will let my daughter park in the garage, and just use the carport. Since I do have remote start. lol

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only reason I mentioned 8’ was it makes it nice if you plan to lift …. With the darn shark fin, it doesn’t take much to get to 7’

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
I'm not planning a lift at all honestly. It is lowered 2" in the rear now and will most likely stay that way. Unless I go even lower.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I have a three car garage with three cars that is less than 20’ deep. It took a lot of work, but we have all three cars in there. Backing in does help significantly, but I rarely do it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What's a "Normal Size Garage" LOL? For me it's 40' x 30'.

Sounds like your truck will fit, but not much extra room. I spend a lot of time in my garage so the size of that was more important than the house when we were home shopping a dozen or so years ago.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What's a "Normal Size Garage" LOL? For me it's 40' x 30'.

Sounds like your truck will fit, but not much extra room. I spend a lot of time in my garage so the size of that was more important than the house when we were home shopping a dozen or so years ago.
Yep, garage square footage is cheap. When we were building our home the builder said, you can never have too much garage. I've always wanted a big garage, so we built the house with a 1200 sq. ft. garage with 13' ceilings....6 years later and I wish it was bigger. Lol

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
70a6a2c248812bc992a1fdbf6665b65b.jpg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Years ago a buddy of mine was complaining that someone broke into his truck. He had so much crap in his garage, he had to park in his driveway. His garage got cleaned out the next day. The primary function of a garage is to park your vehicles. Storage of crap is secondary. 🤣

This is what a garage should look like. Beer fridge and TV to be added.
20210327_094435.jpg

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think y’all are using that room wrong.

View attachment 111112
Nope. Garages are for vehicles. Workout stuff belongs in the house (basement/bonus room/etc)😜. I have a 2 car attached for the daily drivers and just built a 24'x24' detached for my project car/repair space. Wish I could have gone bigger with the new one, but didn't want to take up the entire yard.

20200514_175119.jpg 20210930_130103.jpg

Last edited:

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Years ago a buddy of mine was complaining that someone broke into his truck. He had so much crap in his garage, he had to park in his driveway. His garage got cleaned out the next day. The primary function of a garage is to park your vehicles. Storage of crap is secondary.

This is what a garage should look like. Beer fridge and TV to be added.
View attachment 111117

Now that’s an awesome garage !!!!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not park in our garage currently as my truck won't fit with my wife's car and all the stuff we have stored in there. But, we are building a new house now (should be done around Christmas) and they made the garage a tad bigger. The inside dimensions from where the garage door will be is 21'x21.5' with an 18' wide by 7' tall garage door. My truck should fit just fine, right? I have a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab short bed. Not lifted or anything.
We park two vehicles in a long but narrow old garage. During a renovation, I extended the length and replaced a 16’ x 6’-6” door. The garage now measures roughly 17.5’ W x 25’ L inside and has a 16’ x 7’ door.

I pull the Ram in forwards against the right wall, leaving enough length in front for a workbench and motorcycle in front. We back my wife’s Audi Q5 in against the left side, with room for a fridge, tool cabinets, and hanging bicycles behind her. Nothing can go in the sides, but at least the driver’s door for each vehicle is accessible this way.

Obviously, a lot of planning is required when space is tight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online