5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen Headlight Upgrade: Your preference and would you do it again?

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
(I searched first, just FYI)
My situation: 2021 RAM 1500 BigHorn with Halogen Headlights

Choices considered:
  1. Replace OEM Halogen Headlight Assemblies with OEM LED Headlight Assemblies ($$$$)
  2. Replace OEM Halogen Headlight Assemblies with Aftermarket LED Headlight Assemblies ($$$)
  3. Replace OEM Halogen Bulb with LED Bulb, retaining Halogen housing.

Which did you do, and if you would do it again, what did you choose and why?

I want to do this right...and I even already invested in the "plug-in harness" conversion units to prevent any error codes if I were to go OEM LED.

I also want to save money if I can.

Thanks for any feedback

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I love the laramie LEDs and would choose that if I had a tradesman or bighorn over anything aftermarket. I have nothing scientific on why I would, I just feel the beam pattern is perfect on my LEDs.

XmikeX

Reaction score
So far I am happy with the better looking lights . Only thing I can say is that I need to adjust my beams because right now they are little high and get flashed every once and a while at night. Then again I upgraded my high beams with led's too and they get the point when I flash them back.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the VLAND Reflector type aftermarket LED's. This would fall in line with option two from your posting. Let me say, I have absolutely zero issues with these headlights and I think they're one of the best looking options that just so happens to be more on the budget friendly side when compared to many of the other aftermarket headlight options.

Now with that said, if I were to do it again, I'd still lean heavily towards OEM. Nothing against the VLANDs, I'm still very happy with them but in the grand scheme of things, I could have went OEM for approximately $500 or so more than what I had already invested in the aftermarket lights. Personally speaking, I really wanted the OEM lights to begin with but settled for a less popular option just because I also liked them and they were about half the cost. I figured I'd give them a shot.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you're in the market and plan to swap out the entire headlight units anyways, I would just dish out the extra cash and go OEM from the jump. They look great, perform great, and will come with the guarantee and reputation that you expect. If you're looking to go LED at the cheapest expense, then obviously I completely understand just swapping out bulbs into your existing halogen housing. Many go that direction without issue and it keeps the cost relatively low.

Attachments

• 0503E04B-9CD8-4F64-BB4A-16A4CC2D9625.jpeg
    0503E04B-9CD8-4F64-BB4A-16A4CC2D9625.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
U

User_76295

So far I am happy with the better looking lights . Only thing I can say is that I need to adjust my beams because right now they are little high and get flashed every once and a while at night. Then again I upgraded my high beams with led's too and they get the point when I flash them back.
What bulbs did you go with?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
I have the VLAND Reflector type aftermarket LED's. This would fall in line with option two from your posting. Let me say, I have absolutely zero issues with these headlights and I think they're one of the best looking options that just so happens to be more on the budget friendly side when compared to many of the other aftermarket headlight options.

Now with that said, if I were to do it again, I'd still lean heavily towards OEM. Nothing against the VLANDs, I'm still very happy with them but in the grand scheme of things, I could have went OEM for approximately $500 or so more than what I had already invested in the aftermarket lights. Personally speaking, I really wanted the OEM lights to begin with but settled for a less popular option just because I also liked them and they were about half the cost. I figured I'd give them a shot.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you're in the market and plan to swap out the entire headlight units anyways, I would just dish out the extra cash and go OEM from the jump. They look great, perform great, and will come with the guarantee and reputation that you expect. If you're looking to go LED at the cheapest expense, then obviously I completely understand just swapping out bulbs into your existing halogen housing. Many go that direction without issue and it keeps the cost relatively low.
After my 2013 and 2015 with the halogen's, when I got a new one, I was determined to get the OEM light package. I've seen the difference and it is so much better and they look good over the "bulbous" eye look on the halogens. AND, living in MT it is truly imperative to have good headlights so you don't hit deer. The new ones are worth their weight in gold they are so good compared to the old halogens.

Three times over the last couple of years my lights have saved me. On my 2015, I had an aftermarket bumper with extra spots and literally stopped about a foot from a big bull Elk who just stared at me down by Gardner MT. I have a daily driver Renegade with horrible halogen headlights and so put some bright spots on the front and they let me see so much better and on numerous occasions I seem them way out ahead and slow down. And remember, when you see one, look for the rest, they are never alone and they try to get close to one another so if you see em on one side, there are likely others on the other side, often mothers with small ones who will jump out... It is a constant thing here in MT. Constant. My wife's Cherokee has the auto brights thing, I really like that. She has the one with the super high rated headlights.

XmikeX

Reaction score
What bulbs did you go with?

Lasfit, pretty easy plug and play and weren't that expensive. I did my fogs and high/low beams and all match

Chrisb7710

Reaction score
I went with #2 and regret it. Company I purchased through is refusing to take a return. Expensive mistake.. if I can’t get a refund, I’ll be doing an actual retrofit with some other projector and good bulbs, or buying OEM LED.

for aftermarket, I went with RECON LED. No details are on the website, so here’s the 2 negatives I found.. They are 13w (light output is comparable to OEM halogen). LED bulbs are sealed in the housing, so if they are too dim, or burn out, you cannot replace the bulbs.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
went the #3 route, 6K lumens Lasfit bulbs, HI/LO beams AND fogs, plus LED turn signals. Agree that the halogen housings aren’t as visually appealing as the LED housings, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger on new LED housings, when for a fraction of the cost, I could just upgrade the bulbs and achieve the desired result of better illumination at night.
am kinda glad I don’t have OEM LED’s, as the OEM LED headlights require returning to dealer for service if they go out.
Granted, the low beams are a biyotch to change, I am in to this upgrade for about $115.00 from Amazon, and about an hour and a half of my time, vs. maybe half a day of pulling apart your whole front end to install new fixtures.
Am super happy with how ridiculously bright they are! If you want cheaper options, Lasfit Bulbs are awesome! Good luck!

Bob.

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I replaced the halogen bulbs with leds. I went to HR revolution website, purchased what they recommended and installed them. Everything fits inside the headlights and the dust covers go back on.
The easiest way is to go thru the plastic wheel well for the low beams. Don't follow their way with on top method, you will want to kill yourself, go thru the inner fender. Totally happy and no dash lights.
Edit to add make sure you clock the diodes at 3 and 9 o'clock so they shine like they are designed to. Watch a few videos they put out. They explain stuff very well for new guys going LEDs.

Last edited:
U

User_76295

2 weeks ago I replaced the halogen bulbs with leds. I went to HR revolution website, purchased what they recommended and installed them. Everything fits inside the headlights and the dust covers go back on.
The easiest way is to go thru the plastic wheel well for the low beams. Don't follow their way with on top method, you will want to kill yourself, go thru the inner fender. Totally happy and no dash lights.
GTR Lighting Ultra 2s or S-V.4's?
Pics?

Bob.

Reaction score
GTR Lighting Ultra 2s or S-V.4's?
Pics?

I went with the fanless design xenondepot for $143 for lows and another $143 for high beams. They shine like the sun. You will have to lower the lights afterwards as my set were acting like hi beams afterwards.

U

User_76295

I went with the fanless design xenondepot for $143 for lows and another $143 for high beams. They shine like the sun. You will have to lower the lights afterwards as my set were acting like hi beams afterwards.
I had those and returned them - didn't like how crushed up the fins were in the back of the housing

Bob.

Reaction score
My set both low and hi were ok. With these when your finished you have to tuck in the headsink ribbons inside the headlight then put the dust covers on. I'm very happy that I took out the halogens. I work nights living in deer county, sure don't want to hit a deer with my new truck.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
If I had the halogens, I'd do a custom retrofit. They seem intimidating, but the hardest part to most retros is separating the housing. Pick a big shroud that fills the factory reflectors and it'll look good and perform great.

I did my 11 ram and my 06 F-150.
5e43020d94c9899b66006491708bb9d3.jpg
7bccc782f7b32492e53e2dce005b705a.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread