5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you guys switch from l87 6.2 to a 5.7Hemi

Dj4life88

Reaction score
I’m curious, I’ve always liked the Rams especially the 5th gens. I am currently in a 2018 6.2 Silverado LTZ. Truck is great I’m just about 60k miles into ownership and 11 years with GM vehicles total. I looked at a few Laramies today while getting service at a TRI dealer(GMC/Chevy/Ram) The truck that’s grabbed my attention were the 5.7 Etorque and 3.92s today. I didn’t test drive, and it got me thinking.

My main concern is taking a step back in power and towing power. Most of you guys probably watch TFL, the Ike gauntlet or as locals really call it Eisenhower Tunnel is the gateway to my fun paradise if you will. I watched all the test, but I want first hand experience. I know I have taken Eisenhower at speed limit or above while towing. Power isn’t an issue with the 6.2. Especially when I upgraded from a 5.3.

Has anyone made the switch? Miss the 6.2 Daily Driving Power? I only tow 4-6k depending on load. Tell me your experiences.
I might make a move in the coming months. Or end up in a new F150 Ecoboost. Or 22GM. I’m keeping my options open this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You won’t notice a huge difference because Ram has deeper gearing. Its a pretty even match.

1st: 4.71 vs 4.56
2nd: 3.14 vs 2.97
Axle: 3.92 vs 3.42

(5.7L’s 410 lb-ft vs 6.2L’s 460 lb-ft)

1st: 7,569 vs 7,173
2nd: 5,046 vs 4,672

Even in 1:1 gear it’s 1,607 vs 1,573

I tow 8k lbs with the 5.7L Hemi and 3.92 no issues.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I’m curious, I’ve always liked the Rams especially the 5th gens. I am currently in a 2018 6.2 Silverado LTZ. Truck is great I’m just about 60k miles into ownership and 11 years with GM vehicles total. I looked at a few Laramies today while getting service at a TRI dealer(GMC/Chevy/Ram) The truck that’s grabbed my attention were the 5.7 Etorque and 3.92s today. I didn’t test drive, and it got me thinking.

My main concern is taking a step back in power and towing power. Most of you guys probably watch TFL, the Ike gauntlet or as locals really call it Eisenhower Tunnel is the gateway to my fun paradise if you will. I watched all the test, but I want first hand experience. I know I have taken Eisenhower at speed limit or above while towing. Power isn’t an issue with the 6.2. Especially when I upgraded from a 5.3.

Has anyone made the switch? Miss the 6.2 Daily Driving Power? I only tow 4-6k depending on load. Tell me your experiences.
I might make a move in the coming months. Or end up in a new F150 Ecoboost. Or 22GM. I’m keeping my options open this time around.

you need a test drive.

Dj4life88

Reaction score
you need a test drive.

I’ve driven a 4th gen 5.7 back in 18’. I’m assuming a 3.21 final ratio a good 700 miles once as a rental. Pretty decent on power. But I was just road tripping for work. Maybe I do.

Dj4life88

Reaction score
You won’t notice a huge difference because Ram has deeper gearing. Its a pretty even match.

1st: 4.71 vs 4.56
2nd: 3.14 vs 2.97
Axle: 3.92 vs 3.42

(5.7L’s 410 lb-ft vs 6.2L’s 460 lb-ft)

1st: 7,569 vs 7,173
2nd: 5,046 vs 4,672

Even in 1:1 gear it’s 1,607 vs 1,573

I tow 8k lbs with the 5.7L Hemi and 3.92 no issues.

I might notice a difference. I have the Z71 package. Max tow can’t be optioned with the Z71. So I have 3.23 rear end.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's a 6% difference in HP and a 10% difference in torque. You might notice a difference if they had the same gear ratio's, but as @IvoryHemi mentioned, the 3.92 gears will most likely make it imperceptible.

Last edited:

CMENT

Reaction score
You also won’t have to worry about lifters failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I found the difference from the 5.3 to the 5.7 was absolutely huge, feels literally like going from a 3.6 to a 5.7 in a Charger. Chevy should kill the 5.3 and just have the turbo 4 in its place. I think the 6.2 is amazing, especially with the 10 speed, and there is definitely a performance advantage (though I haven’t towed with the 6.2 I would expect great things). I do feel like the 5.7 holds its own - and sounds better. Now let’s get the 6.4 in a 1500 please and we don’t have to worry about this thread anymore lol.

Honestly the 5.7 is all this truck needs. It will literally pull anything you want it too outside of something that actually needs a 2500. Towing/hauling is limited by the coils, not the motor.

silver billet

Reaction score
You also won’t have to worry about lifters failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Actually the Hemi and the GM 5.3/6.2 are all experiencing lifter failures right now 🤷‍♂️

The 6.2 is no joke though, it will leave all our trucks (TRX not included) in the dust if that's the sort of thing that matters to you. The hemi will feel stronger than the 5.3 but not quite as stout as the 6.2; question is, does it matter? I tow regularly with my truck at that weight, I've never gone up the IKE but just don't drive it like Andre and you'll be fine.

There is more to a truck than HP/torque. I would not turn down more power, but the rest of my truck works so much better for me than the current chevy's. The Ram is the complete package that does everything well and somethings better than every other truck; value, ride, comfort, they are all better in the Ram. If that means a slight deficit in HP than so be it. I have never once tried to race anyone in my truck.

silver billet

Reaction score
I found the difference from the 5.3 to the 5.7 was absolutely huge, feels literally like going from a 3.6 to a 5.7 in a Charger. Chevy should kill the 5.3 and just have the turbo 4 in its place. I think the 6.2 is amazing, especially with the 10 speed, and there is definitely a performance advantage (though I haven’t towed with the 6.2 I would expect great things). I do feel like the 5.7 holds its own - and sounds better. Now let’s get the 6.4 in a 1500 please and we don’t have to worry about this thread anymore lol.

Honestly the 5.7 is all this truck needs. It will literally pull anything you want it too outside of something that actually needs a 2500. Towing/hauling is limited by the coils, not the motor.

Something to be said about the fact that the hemi 5.7 is the only half ton engine also used in a 3/4 ton for years; it used to be also the base engine in the 2500, says something about the confidence Ram had in it.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something to be said about the fact that the hemi 5.7 is the only half ton engine also used in a 3/4 ton for years; it used to be also the base engine in the 2500, says something about the confidence Ram had in it.

5.7L Hemi has 15 years of HD service

3.5L EcoBoost & 6.2L EcoTec have combined for zero years in a HD

Users who are viewing this thread