5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retractable Vs Foldable Tonneau Cover

Which tonneau cover do you prefer?

• Hard Folding like the BakFlip MX4

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Retractable like a Retrax or Gatortrax

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Conundrum

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a tonneau cover for my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. But I am undecided which one. Either foldable or retractable. I like things about both. What are pros and cons you have seen with either one?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on how you use your bed

Retractable
Cons
- canister takes up space
- much more expensive then most trifold covers
- not as easily remove label if you do need the extra space

Pros
-usually way more durable.. harder to break into
-usually can be keyed locked instead of just locked with the tailgate like trifold covers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cajun_

Reaction score
You can also get a revolver x4s. Best of both worlds if you can deal with the wait time. Retrax will have the best build quality hands down

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like mine from Paragon. It's a foldable, that folds into the bed that way you can still see out the rear window. And when it is folded, you can remove the panel as one unit to get back that 6 inches of space.

Jako

Reaction score
Batch of info for tonneau covers.

RJS

Reaction score
If you live in cold country ice and snow are not your friend with the retractables.

Conundrum

Reaction score
Depends on how you use your bed

Retractable
Cons
- canister takes up space
- much more expensive then most trifold covers
- not as easily remove label if you do need the extra space

Pros
-usually way more durable.. harder to break into
-usually can be keyed locked instead of just locked with the tailgate like trifold covers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I might haul stuff once in a great while. I just like the idea of being able to secure items in the bed, especially if I am headed to the range for some target practice. Do I haul large items? Rarely, but I like having the option. You should've seen the look I was getting in the local Lowe's parking lot trying to get a set of Adirondack chairs into the back of a Subaru WRX.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only had solid fiberglass (one piece) or folding tonneau covers.

My dad's last truck had a rolling top. Things I noted from his ownership:

Pros:
1. He had a 5th wheel that he towed so he could lock the cover in just about any position along the tracks.

2. Hard and lockable so it is a fairly solid security item for stuff in the bed.

Cons:
1. We did a lot of off-roading so I spent a lot of time lubricating the tracks after a dusty weekend as well as making adjustments to the rail (mounts) when all of the articulation threw the alignment out of whack. It was also an 8' bed so that's a lot longer track than these trucks will have.

2. It takes an effort to pull the cover shut. As time goes on that effort increases, especially if you don't stay on top of lubrication/cleanliness.

3. I had to occasionally take the top off the canister to clean it out. You can clean the top as much as you want but you will eventually get junk into the canister.

4. I'm not sure how the drains are set up for these trucks (e.g. holes drilled to route drains).

After a life of fiberglass tonneau covers I've "retired" to tri-fold covers. They are easy on, easy off, easy to carry, and easy to store when they aren't installed on the bed.

river rat

Reaction score
I have a revolver x4s. One of the biggest benefits for me is that it looks like a solid piece, as opposed to folding covers that you can see the panels.

ABess

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a tonneau cover for my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. But I am undecided which one. Either foldable or retractable. I like things about both. What are pros and cons you have seen with either one?
Have you looked into Lomax, folding. They support up to 400lbs on the cover, fold out of the way, remove in about 1min. I had one on my GMC and one is going on my Ram. Sit flush and water tight. https://www.agricover.com/hard-tonneau-covers/

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I like mine from Paragon. It's a foldable, that folds into the bed that way you can still see out the rear window. And when it is folded, you can remove the panel as one unit to get back that 6 inches of space.
Considered Paragon and almost pulled trigger, sometimes wish I did, but didn't like that it seems like it had to be keyed locked or it would be accessible. Also, thought downward pressure may cause inadvertent openings if not locked.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Considered Paragon and almost pulled trigger, sometimes wish I did, but didn't like that it seems like it had to be keyed locked or it would be accessible. Also, thought downward pressure may cause inadvertent openings if not locked.
Yes, it needs to be locked, but takes 2 seconds to lock or unlock. The only issue I have is that if there is anything in the front of the bed, it won't open.

tom318

Reaction score
I have the Truck Covers USA roll cover and honestly its simply OK.
It suits my needs for security and using the track system above the cover to install a rack for my bikes is why I went with it. Wanted something to be able to quickly open and close and haul bikes.

Draw backs so far
- it was dam expensive
- like mentioned above, it requires maintenance every so often to keep it smooth. Especially after off road/gravel roads.
- the rails take up width in the bed, cant fit an ATV in anymore.
- Canister takes some space but its actually been convenient because storage bins fit snuggly under it.
- this particular cover doesn't interface well at the tailgate so it leaks there...but only there.
- taking it off is certainly a pain.

I've had it about 8 months so far. All that said, for my needs id probably would do it again in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread