5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small oil leak 3,500-4,000 miles into oil change

kanaro35

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 limited, and with the last 4 oil changes after about 3,500 - 4,000 miles into each oil change it starts to leave small puddles of oil on my garage floor when parked there overnight. As I said, it doesn't happen right after having the oil changed. From what I and my mechanic can tell, it seems the oil filter may be loosening a little as time goes on. Has anyone else every experienced this, and or does anyone have a suggestion about what the issue is and how to fix it?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 limited, and with the last 4 oil changes after about 3,500 - 4,000 miles into each oil change it starts to leave small puddles of oil on my garage floor when parked there overnight. As I said, it doesn't happen right after having the oil changed. From what I and my mechanic can tell, it seems the oil filter may be loosening a little as time goes on. Has anyone else every experienced this, and or does anyone have a suggestion about what the issue is and how to fix it?
Never heard of such a thing before - if anything the oil filters get tighter, not looser. Have you gotten under your truck to see where the oil is actually coming from? If it is really coming from the filter, then they are almost assuredly not putting it on tight enough from the beginning. I use my calibrated arm to put my oil filters on, and when it's time to change them I always need a filter wrench to get them started loose.

Redtrucks

Reaction score
I had a small leak from above the oil filter, every once in a while there would be a spot of oil on the floor. I believe the Dealer said that they replaced a cooler above the filter housing and I haven’t had a leak since.

Users who are viewing this thread