5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the crew cab with the 6.4 bed not a popular option?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Or sell it outright and some one who really wants that configuration will pay for it!

Our new outback has adaptive cruise, and basically auto drive. Never thought I would want it, but now that I’ve gotten used to it, I wish my truck had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's definitely a conundrum in this market, with these prices, choosing between getting exactly what you want, and what will retain value the best.

I semi-regret not ordering Level 1 with my limited. Didn't want/care about the adaptive cruise and the surround cameras and such. But I came to find out that most everyone else gets Level 1, so I'm probably gonna get dinged on my trade in for that (AND it's a CC long bed lol). So, I'm either trading this thing within 2 years or so, before even the comprehensive warranty is up, or I'm driving this thing till it falls apart lol.
Life is too short for regrets (or semi-regrets LOL). Anyone making option selections based on a potential value at trade-in time is wasting their time. I can maybe see doing that if you're planning to sell outright, as it can make the vehicle appealing to more potential buyers. But not if they're planning to trade it in.

Unless you plan to trade in after only owning it a couple years, it's not likely that the option package will even come close to paying for itself. So if you aren't benefiting from having it you're wasting your money. The longer you keep a vehicle, the less each option will gain you back in trade in value. So there is no point in selecting options you think will make the vehicle worth more in trade if you own it for a long time. Just my 2 pennies.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easy decision for me… no rambox option for the 6.5 bed 5th gens. Those damn things are used daily by me and way more then the extra space in the bed would be. Although having the extra bed space would have me curious I think at that point I would just step up to a 2500. Our work trucks are mostly Chevy 2500 6.5 bed and it has its pros and cons the added space is great when your having to grab supply’s but as a DD turning radius and that extra length sucks especially in areas where parking is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Life is too short for regrets (or semi-regrets LOL). Anyone making option selections based on a potential value at trade-in time is wasting their time. I can maybe see doing that if you're planning to sell outright, as it can make the vehicle appealing to more potential buyers. But not if they're planning to trade it in.

Unless you plan to trade in after only owning it a couple years, it's not likely that the option package will even come close to paying for itself. So if you aren't benefiting from having it you're wasting your money. The longer you keep a vehicle, the less each option will gain you back in trade in value. So there is no point in selecting options you think will make the vehicle worth more in trade if you own it for a long time. Just my 2 pennies.
So, I already felt good about my build, but you just made me feel great about it. Words I needed to hear and I didn't even know it. Thanks brother.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easy decision for me… no rambox option for the 6.5 bed 5th gens. Those damn things are used daily by me and way more then the extra space in the bed would be. Although having the extra bed space would have me curious I think at that point I would just step up to a 2500. Our work trucks are mostly Chevy 2500 6.5 bed and it has its pros and cons the added space is great when your having to grab supply’s but as a DD turning radius and that extra length sucks especially in areas where parking is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Limited short bed turning radius is 46.2 feet.

Limited long bed is 48.7.

So, 2½ foot difference, doesn't seem like it'll matter much in most situations. Honestly if I was that worried about my turning radius, I wouldn't be getting a truck at all lol

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or sell it outright and some one who really wants that configuration will pay for it!

Our new outback has adaptive cruise, and basically auto drive. Never thought I would want it, but now that I’ve gotten used to it, I wish my truck had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at Comma.ai I have a Comma 3 for my RAM. It is a community supported Vehicle right now.
Being a Supported Vehicle by Comma will happen in a couple of Months.

Malodave

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Oregon and a huge outdoor guy. I don’t always like having to set up a tent if I know I am heading out on a trail early in the morning, so I sleep in the back. At 6’, a 5’7” bed was not an option.
Same here, but at 5'10 3/4" I can usually wing it with the tailgate down 😛

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You don't think they research these things? The trends are always changing, and it makes sense that dealerships will be slightly behind these changes. But do you really think they wouldn't order whatever configuration would mean the truck sits on the lot for the least amount of time? CC short beds are what is currently the most popular. So that's primarily what dealerships order for their lots. If the demand for QC long bed or CC long beds goes up you'll start seeing more of those on dealer lots.
Yea, I would think dealerships research this.

Then, I went to a dealership. I talked to some of the people that worked there. This made me reconsidered what I would define as "research". I reconsidered how to define the ability to "research".

I mean, ability to tell tall tales and avoid an answer at almost politician level? Expert. Basic logic? Epic fail.

Research for them is putting up post-it notes on the back of the door and flicking boogers at them to see if they stick to one. The post-it with the most stuck to it at the end of the week is the top result of research.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Then, I went to a dealership. I talked to some of the people that worked there. This made me reconsidered what I would define as "research". I reconsidered how to define the ability to "research".

I mean, ability to tell tall tales and avoid an answer at almost politician level? Expert. Basic logic? Epic fail.

Research for them is putting up post-it notes on the back of the door and flicking boogers at them to see if they stick to one. The post-it with the most stuck to it at the end of the week is the top result of research.
Best comment on this forum ever.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's definitely a conundrum in this market, with these prices, choosing between getting exactly what you want, and what will retain value the best.

I semi-regret not ordering Level 1 with my limited. Didn't want/care about the adaptive cruise and the surround cameras and such. But I came to find out that most everyone else gets Level 1, so I'm probably gonna get dinged on my trade in for that (AND it's a CC long bed lol). So, I'm either trading this thing within 2 years or so, before even the comprehensive warranty is up, or I'm driving this thing till it falls apart lol.
Speaking of depreciation, it’s super-fun to enter info for my two-month old laramie into the carvana estimator and seeing a $24k depreciation from my purchase price.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I live in Oregon and a huge outdoor guy. I don’t always like having to set up a tent if I know I am heading out on a trail early in the morning, so I sleep in the back. At 6’, a 5’7” bed was not an option.
I’m 6’3 and also have used the bed to camp outdoors. I don’t want the tailgate down due to the potential of bears licking my toes. Seriously!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Haha, I guess I shouldn't have left what I said up for interpretation. What I should have said is wise, successful dealerships (yes those do exist) do their due diligence in researching buying trends. I'd like to know what dealership you're talking about, so I can avoid any possibility of being struck by an errant booger.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Haha, I guess I shouldn't have left what I said up for interpretation. What I should have said is wise, successful dealerships (yes those do exist) do their due diligence in researching buying trends. I'd like to know what dealership you're talking about, so I can avoid any possibility of being struck by an errant booger.
Come out to Northern Virginia and take your pick.

😃 see what I did there?! 😆

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I needed it for my tools. The short bed just wouldn't cut it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread