5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much black?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title was Michael Scott (The Office) saying, “That’s what she said!” :ROFLMAO:

Shorty1315

Reaction score
Gotta love how "too long" now is like a day. Bummer. Don't suppose he's got the option to order and wait, like us…?
He thought about it, but dealership is saying 3-6 months. He has a truck now ('21 F150) but I think he is missing his Ram. Then again, he likes to swap vehicles as often as some people change socks. My brother gives him hell and says that once the Sirius subscription expires he is back out looking for another truck. 🤣

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He thought about it, but dealership is saying 3-6 months. He has a truck now ('21 F150) but I think he is missing his Ram. Then again, he likes to swap vehicles as often as some people change socks. My brother gives him hell and says that once the Sirius subscription expires he is back out looking for another truck. 🤣
I've been missing my Ram too, and it ain't even here yet!

Nick57

Reaction score
Personally I love the black on black...

Attachments

• Ram with YJ.jpg
    Ram with YJ.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 48

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the look of black on black for other owners truck but not mine lol to much upkeep (exterior) that is. Granite was my answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the look of black on black for other owners truck but not mine lol to much upkeep (exterior) that is. Granite was my answer.

I've seen a LOT of people say that a black exterior requires too much upkeep, why is that though? Curious...

3 out of my last 4 vehicles have been black (and 2 of those were fully blacked out), obviously I have a thing for it lol. I live in central PA so it rains fairly often here, and it's spread out over the course of the year pretty evenly. Between that I get the occasional touchless wash (or maybe those auto washes with the spray wax if I'm feeling particularly lazy). So my car looks sharp probably 80% of the time.

Nick57

Reaction score
My 18 Ram 1500 was granite crystal and did hide being dirty pretty well unlike my current Ram. How ever the new Ram looks soooooooooo much nicer when she's cleaned up vs my old one. (in my opinion) Pic of my old one for comparison.

Attachments

• RAMTJYJ.jpg
    RAMTJYJ.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 26

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've seen a LOT of people say that a black exterior requires too much upkeep, why is that though? Curious...

3 out of my last 4 vehicles have been black (and 2 of those were fully blacked out), obviously I have a thing for it lol. I live in central PA so it rains fairly often here, and it's spread out over the course of the year pretty evenly. Between that I get the occasional touchless wash (or maybe those auto washes with the spray wax if I'm feeling particularly lazy). So my car looks sharp probably 80% of the time.
It really depends on how much dust you get in the air where you live. I live in the middle of farm country. Namely, wheat and barley farming. Lots of dust in the air starting in early spring and going through summer into fall. Even a slight amount of rain will pull that dust out of the air directly onto anything that's outside. And even if it doesn't rain for weeks, a black vehicle will look dirty within only an hour of washing it because of the dust settling out of the air. I had similar issues with the patriot blue Laramie I used to own. My new white truck hides dust so much better.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just shows every single spec of dirt if it’s anything less then clean. Swirls/scratches, dirt just sticks out like a sore thumb. Years ago when I use to detail for a local dealership I sighed every time a black vehicle was brought in for a detail. Knowing I would have to work a miracle to get trashed black paint to look somewhat decent. I always vowed as much as I like clean well kept up black paint I personally would never own that color unless it was significantly discounted for my future pain and suffering. Granite checked that box for me. Darker color. Still hides light dirt/swirls, etc. not that I keep my truck dirty but during the work week it’ll get dirty and can still stay looking somewhat clean till the weekend when I get a chance to wash it.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I’m a granite crystal owner, coming from a Delmonico Red Laramie with all chrome. I hated chrome by the time I traded it in. Chrome was so hard to keep clean And the wheels were ‘chrome clad’, so it looked cheesy.

Now I have a Bighorn night edition and love it. Here’s my suggestions for breaking up a darker night edition Ram:

- Decal accents for the 1500 badge on the hood or the Ram on the side of the door. They make a ton of great colors from carbon fiber to reflective red (although the red on black seems a little played out)
- Vinyl wrap - again plenty of colors and sheens to choose from. You can wrap the side mirrors, trim, etc to whatever color you want. Pretty inexpensive
- Bronze wheel set - I like the look of gunmetal or bronze on black. Clean and distinguished look, but a little more cash outlay.
-Plasti dip tow hooks - did mine red and get tons of complements on how it breaks up the front of the truck
- Lamin X film for fog lamps - I made mine yellow and fit nice for the front of the truck

55D55D7E-69C5-46D2-83BA-BA3B4BF9E2F7.jpeg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 18 Ram 1500 was granite crystal and did hide being dirty pretty well unlike my current Ram. How ever the new Ram looks soooooooooo much nicer when she's cleaned up vs my old one. (in my opinion) Pic of my old one for comparison.
That comparison has little to do with the color. Just being a 5th Gen makes it sooooo much better. Then comparing a Night Edition to a chrome clad 4th Gen and you're not even in the same universe. :LOL:

20211019_163855.jpg

I really like black vehicles, but they are more work to keep them looking good. My wife has a black car and it can look dusty after one day just sitting in the garage. My truck looks better after sitting in the airport parking lot for 3 days. :cool:

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m a granite crystal owner, coming from a Delmonico Red Laramie with all chrome. I hated chrome by the time I traded it in. Chrome was so hard to keep clean And the wheels were ‘chrome clad’, so it looked cheesy.

Now I have a Bighorn night edition and love it. Here’s my suggestions for breaking up a darker night edition Ram:

- Decal accents for the 1500 badge on the hood or the Ram on the side of the door. They make a ton of great colors from carbon fiber to reflective red (although the red on black seems a little played out)
- Vinyl wrap - again plenty of colors and sheens to choose from. You can wrap the side mirrors, trim, etc to whatever color you want. Pretty inexpensive
- Bronze wheel set - I like the look of gunmetal or bronze on black. Clean and distinguished look, but a little more cash outlay.
-Plasti dip tow hooks - did mine red and get tons of complements on how it breaks up the front of the truck
- Lamin X film for fog lamps - I made mine yellow and fit nice for the front of the truck

View attachment 108528
You got more pics of this thing, that is a NICE looking truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online