5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flat towing behind motorhome

Big Al 67

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Limited 4x4 Diesel 6' bed.

It's been s great truck. I'm thinking of flat towing it behind my motorhome, so i had a few questions.
1.) Good idea, bad idea, not a great idea but it works and won't hurt your truck?
2.) Do miles register as I pull it eventhough the transfer case is in neutral?
3.) Recommended equipment to do it?
4.) Things to watch out for or be aware of?
Thanks in advance!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmm, might be easier to tow the motor home with the Ram. I'd say disconnect the driveshaft, make sure the electric parking brake is off, and disconnect the battery

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck is heavy. Make sure you are not overloading your RV. You have 4x4 no need to disconnect anything. Put transfer case in neutral. Its the little button in the middle of the shifter. The dash will walk you through it. You'll need/want to add a brake kit so the truck brakes with you. Miles won't register. Just get a good tow kit and go.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used brake buddy in the past to tow a lifted 4-door Wrangler and it worked well. I’ve been hearing good things about the Roadmaster invisi-brake, but I haven’t used it myself.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Page 400 in the manual explains flat towing. Don't flat tow a 2wd.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I flat tow my 2019 behind my RV, but I have the Hemi and not sure (too lazy to look ;)) at the weight difference. It tows back there just fine. I ordered everything I need from eTrailer.com, including a braking unit that hooks right into the vacuum line. Works fine and is fairly hidden from view. Just know this - once you have the truck back there and attached, YOU CANNOT GO IN REVERSE AND BACK UP -you'll cause damage. Small price to pay (not backing up). If you want or need pictures of the setup on the truck, I can help you out - just ask.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm pretty curious here...what damage are we talking about? This doesn't compute in my bourbon-marinated brain.
me too. shouldnt hurt anything if the transfer case is in neutral.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Going in reverse will not necessarily hurt the truck, but could damage the tow bars. I tried to back up once when I got into a tight spot leaving a campsite and it damaged one of the bars such that it would no longer go in and out. I had to disconnect it from the RV. Took a sledge hammer POUNDING on the pin to get it disconnected as the bar wouldn't go in and out. Long story short, don't back up when connected.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going in reverse will not necessarily hurt the truck, but could damage the tow bars. I tried to back up once when I got into a tight spot leaving a campsite and it damaged one of the bars such that it would no longer go in and out. I had to disconnect it from the RV. Took a sledge hammer POUNDING on the pin to get it disconnected as the bar wouldn't go in and out. Long story short, don't back up when connected.
That's more operator error than "going in reverse will damage...." If you jack knife or drag your tow vehicle its gonna bind or bend the tow bars.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
I see this is an old thread, but we flat tow a Jeep at present behind MH. My 2023 1500 just came in and getting ready to order everything that is needed to flat tow. I use the Air Force one braking system on the Jeep. Roadmaster recommended the brakemaster braking system due to the adjustable pedals. I am 6’2 and my wife is 5’3 when she drives she adjusts the pedals fully out. This will not work well well with AF1 or Invisibrake.

Partsjockey

Reaction score
I see this is an old thread, but we flat tow a Jeep at present behind MH. My 2023 1500 just came in and getting ready to order everything that is needed to flat tow. I use the Air Force one braking system on the Jeep. Roadmaster recommended the brakemaster braking system due to the adjustable pedals. I am 6’2 and my wife is 5’3 when she drives she adjusts the pedals fully out. This will not work well well with AF1 or Invisibrake.
I've got a 2022 1500 & was wondering how you or what you did to have the tail lights function properly?

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
I tow my truck behind my MH all the time... I installed all the towing equipment, including the light wiring. This is what I used for lighting. I rewired the 4-wire flat plug for the front connection with a 6 wire round receptacle to mate with the umbilical cord between the coach and the truck. But the wiring was a very easy plug and play option without having to splice into the truck wiring.

Completed job.jpg

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
I tow my truck behind my MH all the time... I installed all the towing equipment, including the light wiring. This is what I used for lighting. I rewired the 4-wire flat plug for the front connection with a 6 wire round receptacle to mate with the umbilical cord between the coach and the truck. But the wiring was a very easy plug and play option without having to splice into the truck wiring.

View attachment 177963
Since you changed the 4 way to a 6 way did you add a charge line to your battery, your setup looks clean. Is that a roadmaster base plate?

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
I didn't add the charge line, because at the moment, I don't need it. I use the RVi3 brake box, and I can go 2 full days of towing and the battery comes no where near of draining. But, that was one reason I went with the 6 wire, to have the capability if I needed it.

The base plate is Demco, as well as the tow bar that I use. I have been a long time fan and customer of Demco. Back when I started "motorhoming" I used the Demco Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly, then switched over to 4 down towing. I have a Demco base plate on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee as well...

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
I didn't add the charge line, because at the moment, I don't need it. I use the RVi3 brake box, and I can go 2 full days of towing and the battery comes no where near of draining. But, that was one reason I went with the 6 wire, to have the capability if I needed it.

The base plate is Demco, as well as the tow bar that I use. I have been a long time fan and customer of Demco. Back when I started "motorhoming" I used the Demco Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly, then switched over to 4 down towing. I have a Demco base plate on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee as well...
Just went to RVI website, this seems like a much simpler install than what I did on our Jeep with the AF1. Where do you store the box when not using?

Users who are viewing this thread