5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8HP75 Transmission Service

RAMREB

Reaction score
Anyone had their dealer perform a fluid and filter change on their 8 SPD yet? (I know it’s “lifetime fluid”) but I am approaching 60k and would like to do it. I have read the procedure from the service manual and definitely not something I want to attempt to do myself. Looking for some feedback on the cost and dealer experience. Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this too. I only have 1100 miles on my '21 Limited, but since I'm planning to keep this truck for years it would be good to know.

tidefan1967

Reaction score
You're looking at probably $800 if you let the dealer do it. That would also be doing it the right way by dropping the pan not flushing it. There are quite a few good Youtube video's out there on how to do it if you're mechanically inclined for less than $300 depending upon what brand of fluid you use. There's one guy on the other Ram forum with 500K plus miles on his 8HP70 that changes his every 100K with Valvoline Maxlife ATF which is cheap compared to the Mopar 8/9spd tranny fluid.

ramchaser

Reaction score
The filter is integrated into the pan and is $250-300 alone.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can get a full kit for $178, which includes the pan/filter, gasket, bolts and drain plug: https://klmperformance.com/products/mopar-68225344aa-68172556aa-zf-8-speed-transmission-service-kit

This isn't officially the 8HP75 kit just yet, but those kits should be coming out soon at similar prices. Though the 70 & 75 pans & filters should be the same, which is included with this kit above. This doesn't include the fluid. Have competent independent shop do the work for a lot less the dealer and their marked-up parts and supplies.

Most ZF8 service intervals I've seen recommended by Indy shops is 60,000 miles, however 70,000-80,000 miles is ZF's recommendation.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone had their dealer perform a fluid and filter change on their 8 SPD yet? (I know it’s “lifetime fluid”) but I am approaching 60k and would like to do it. I have read the procedure from the service manual and definitely not something I want to attempt to do myself. Looking for some feedback on the cost and dealer experience. Thanks
I'm closing in on 60K miles myself and might have this done before hunting season. My dealer quoted me $700+tax.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051763 miles.

Reaction score
I changed it myself at ~65,000. Dealer quoted me ~$800, which convinced me to give it a go myself.

It really wasn't that bad except keeping the transmission in the temperature range on a 95 degree day last summer. I got the pan/filter and fluid from my local dealer's parts department. IIRC they were around $250 for pan/filter and fluid.

Only suggestion is to do it when it's cooler outside than when I did it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I changed it myself at ~65,000. Dealer quoted me ~$800, which convinced me to give it a go myself.

It really wasn't that bad except keeping the transmission in the temperature range on a 95 degree day last summer. I got the pan/filter and fluid from my local dealer's parts department. IIRC they were around $250 for pan/filter and fluid.

What procedure did you use?

I'm contemplating whether to do it myself or not. I've seen several different procedures/methods from mild to wild and want to make sure it gets done right.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What procedure did you use?

I'm contemplating whether to do it myself or not. I've seen several different procedures/methods from mild to wild and want to make sure it gets done right.
Only one comment here: if you do this yourself, make sure the vehicle is completely level.

A friend of mine's son did his and had a problem with the transmission shorty after his fluid change. The dealer found it was between one quart and two quarts low on fluid, which the dealer corrected.

No problems since.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051904 miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Where did you add the fluid since there is no dipstick tube? How did you know when it was full?

Derlant1983

Reaction score

What did you have to do about the exhaust crossover? I’ve heard you have to remove / lower the crossover.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did you add the fluid since there is no dipstick tube? How did you know when it was full?
AFAIK there's a fill plug on the transmission and you fill it until fluid comes out (similar to a differential).

I've seen everything from replace the pan (the filter is incorporated into the pan) and fill the transmission up to an involved process (drain excess, put the vehicle on a lift, run it through a gear procedure, when it hits a specific temp range, fill up the trans). We are past the check dipstick and fill through the hole if need be days.

That's why I was asking. I don't have a shop manual so was wondering what the real procedure is since nothing I've read/watched is the "official" way to do it.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like my question is answered in another thread on this forum thanks to @The Critic :

RAMREB

Reaction score
In case anyone is following this I ended up having a local transmission shop perform the service for me at 60,000 miles. Used OEM pan/filter and Transtar ZF compatible Synthetic Fluid M465MVLV. Total cost was $412. He said the fluid looked okay coming out and said I am probably safe to stick with a 60k interval.

xspeedy

Reaction score
It looks easy enough. Search YouTube. You will want the appropriate torque wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread