5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roll up or tri fold soft tonneau?

jj888

Reaction score
I know there are lots of threads buried in here about this, but thought I'd get some updated opinions. First of all, I may possibly get a topper someday because I am used to having large covered storage like that, but for now, I just want something to keep the bed covered and because of that, I don't want to spend a ton in case I do end up with a cap. I have a friend that has a Bakflip MX4 and while it looks really nice, I found it somewhat heavy and a little cumbersome to open from the sides. Plus, if I had bikes and other gear back there, it will typically require the full bed and I don't really like how it leans against the window so I would probably have to take it off in that case and it is somewhat heavy so I think I am better off with a soft one. I keep this garaged and it is not a daily driver so it won't be exposed to the elements that much. I just want a cover for if I have to run to the store or go on a trip, so I can keep the items I bought at the store or luggage or something back there dry and out of sight. I would imagine for many cases, I may not even have to open it as I can just open the tailgate and keep stuff near the back. So it seems like it would either be mostly closed for the reasons I just mentioned, or fully open for when I am hauling bikes or other stuff like that in the back. I am thinking maybe the soft roll up may work better as it can roll all the way up where the tri-fold may have to be removed, but maybe that isn't the case. I don't know if one is much more secure than the other as either could be cut, but I guess maybe it is more out of sight out of mind. Even with my buddy's Bakflip, I see how it could still be pretty easily pried up, but I still think these would be more deterrent than leaving something in plain sight up in the cab. Anyways, just like to hear your opinions or suggestions. I have the 6'4" bed. Thanks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've always favored soft roll-up covers. I don't care much about security with it because I almost never have anything worth much back there. I like being able to roll it up to use the full bed without needing to remove it. The one thing that I don't like about roll-ups is that there are rails on both sides of the bed which can get in the way when loading/unloading stuff.

Floyd

Reaction score
I went in between..Bak Revolver X4S. Rollup that is secure, still holds some weight on top so things won't break through it, and dont have any issues with luggage getting wet on trips. Rolls up out of the way nicely

Attachments

• 20210804_124046.jpg
    20210804_124046.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210804_124126.jpg
    20210804_124126.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 75

jj888

Reaction score
I've always favored soft roll-up covers. I don't care much about security with it because I almost never have anything worth much back there. I like being able to roll it up to use the full bed without needing to remove it. The one thing that I don't like about roll-ups is that there are rails on both sides of the bed which can get in the way when loading/unloading stuff.
That's a good point about security. I guess the only time I may have stuff back there would be if I made a stop on the way home from the store or a stop at a restaurant or something while on a trip with the luggage back there, but security is probably more important for people that leave it parked outside all the time and may have some tools or something stored back there. I know what you mean about the rails and have noticed two different kinds: Some rails actually sit on top of the bed rails and those looks like they may be in the way, but then some others like the Gator SRX has rails that actually lay inside the truck's bed rails, so I wonder if that is better?

jj888

Reaction score
I went in between..Bak Revolver X4S. Rollup that is secure, still holds some weight on top so things won't break through it, and dont have any issues with luggage getting wet on trips. Rolls up out of the way nicely
Those do look nice, but I probably shouldn't spend $1k on this in case I end up with a cap. Just curious though, how much does that thing weigh?

DSTJ99

Reaction score

I’m aligned with mikeru82s comments and went with the Prox15 roll up. It’s been great so far but sometimes I could see using the hard top partially folded back in a 2/3 closed position if I wanted some stuff covered but needed a longer or taller item to stick up past the tailgate. With the roll up it’s either all open or closed.

‘21 1500 Ltd, Max Steel / Indigo Frost

BigHerm611

Reaction score

I wanted to like that cover so much, I went through two of them within a one month span. Bak ended up letting me swap to a mx4 after the second revolver claim. I’ve yet to find something comparable to the revolver that I like and would fit my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floyd

Reaction score
I wanted to like that cover so much, I went through two of them within a one month span. Bak ended up letting me swap to a mx4 after the second revolver claim. I’ve yet to find something comparable to the revolver that I like and would fit my needs.

The old model, X4, was not as good. The X4S has been perfect for me. Fits perfect, roll up and down no issues, really happy with it.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I took the factory trifold off after a few days. It had all the headaches you described, basically does not allow you to use your bed for anything of any significant size.

I purchased a hard rolling cover to replace it.

for many people, a trifold will work just fine. In fact mine is for sale should it work for you!

BigHerm611

Reaction score
The old model, X4, was not as good. The X4S has been perfect for me. Fits perfect, roll up and down no issues, really happy with it.

I was initially. I honestly have bad luck with Bak, which is a shame because most of their covers check all the boxes.
The first X4S developed a hump across one of the seams after a week or so. They sent me another one and right out the box it had a hump close to the cab side of the cover. When I emailed them about the second one, they informed me it’s a issue they know about, but don’t know how to correct just yet. So they offered to send a 3rd one, a refund, or one of their other covers. So I took my chances with the improved MX4. While I like it, I really wanted the revolver to work out.

jj888

Reaction score
I took the factory trifold off after a few days. It had all the headaches you described, basically does not allow you to use your bed for anything of any significant size.

I purchased a hard rolling cover to replace it.

for many people, a trifold will work just fine. In fact mine is for sale should it work for you!
You guys are almost talking me into a hard roll up one! I better not though...that is a lot of money and probably an overkill to have it sitting in the garage 90% of the time. I can definitely see how a tri fold would be nice especially if you have to open and close it all the time, such as to load stuff in over the sides. I definitely won't be doing that because I am pretty short and can barely reach over the sides anyways! Maybe I will take my chances with a sub $300 roll up.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truxedo soft roll up and/or Mopar soft roll up (They are almost identical.) $400 and change, best bang for your buck.

jj888

Reaction score
Truxedo soft roll up and/or Mopar soft roll up (They are almost identical.) $400 and change, best bang for your buck.
I noticed a couple of Truxedo's: The Lo Pro and the Truxport. Looks like the Lo Pro has the track that sits inside of the bed rails and the Truxport sits on top of them. Any thoughts on the two styles? Seems like the one inside would be more out of the way, but it is a little more expensive.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I noticed a couple of Truxedo's: The Lo Pro and the Truxport. Looks like the Lo Pro has the track that sits inside of the bed rails and the Truxport sits on top of them. Any thoughts on the two styles? Seems like the one inside would be more out of the way, but it is a little more expensive.
The one I have is a Truxedo LoPro. I really like it. It depends on how you use your bed as to which would be more in the way though. Now that I have a rambox bed I don't have issues with the side rails. But when I had this same type of cover on a regular bed it interfered with using the AMP Research bed extender I bought for that truck. I wasn't able to flip the bed extender from the tailgate to the bed without it hitting the bed cover rails. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of this or I'd post them to make it clearer what I'm describing. Honestly, if you're only planning to use it for a short time you should probably get a soft tri-fold. They are very easy to completely remove, and you can find lots of them on Amazon for just over $200.

bucolic

Reaction score
I have had both and prefer the Soft trifold for a couple of reasons. I just went with a cheap one and no issues at all. Pros and cons:

The soft roll-up does roll up all the way giving you more room in the bed without removing it but you still lose about 6 inches or so at the front and the one I had had metal rails that took up a couple of inches on each side. To remove it was a pain. Then rolling it back down, sealing it all up correctly was not a big deal but did take a bit of extra time.

The Tri-fold opens and closes in no time. Pull a couple of levers and flip it open, when done just flip it back and fasten the levers. If you need the full bed it pops off in about 60 seconds and you have the entire bed available with no hardware left attached. Plus at under $300 if someone cuts it to see what's inside it wouldn't sting as much as if it was a $1000 one they pried open. I got this one here and it works just fine for my light-duty use. Plus, it works with the multifunction tailgate.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I have a new Max Mate roll up tonneau cover I got from Amazon for $179. shipped to my door. I couldn't be more pleased with it. I had a Gator Tri-fold on my 11 Ram which I liked but it didnt allow full bed access without removing it. Removing it wasnt a big deal and only took a minute to do but I had to store it somewhere so it wouldnt get damaged when not on the truck. The Max Mate roll up I just bought for my new 21 Ram can stay on the truck and allows full access. I'm very pleased with it 20210702_110625.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_153102.jpg
    IMG_20200811_153102.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 29
U

User_72751

I went with the Undercover Ultra Flex. It's a hard tri fold. When the last section is up it is held with support rods so it doesn't rest against the cab. Pretty happy with it so far

Users who are viewing this thread