5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plastidip or PPF for rock chips?

jcjohn

Reaction score
Looking for guys' opinions on whether to use PPF or maybe plastidip for rockers, leading edge of quarters, and other areas vulnerable to rock chips. I live on gravel and its a certainty that I will eventually get some rock chips. Wanting to see if anybody has any experience using plastidip for this application.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Plastidip will offer some protection against rock chips, but PPF will be much more effective. If you really want to protect it you might want to consider color matched bed liner for areas like the rocker panels and fender flares.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After considering all of the options available. I decided to purchase a roll of 3M Wrap Series 1080 - Matte Deep Black -M22 to wrap the rocker panels on the truck.

It took me a day per side since I'm an amateur at wrapping and there are a lot of twist and turns around the door sills.

1627996262796.png
1627996290297.png

I also added Mopar fender Flares.

jcjohn

Reaction score
After considering all of the options available. I decided to purchase a roll of 3M Wrap Series 1080 - Matte Deep Black -M22 to wrap the rocker panels on the truck.

It took me a day per side since I'm an amateur at wrapping and there are a lot of twist and turns around the door sills.

View attachment 101812
View attachment 101813

I also added Mopar fender Flares.

Nice pictures and thank you for the alternative idea. I will look up this product.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Looking for guys' opinions on whether to use PPF or maybe plastidip for rockers, leading edge of quarters, and other areas vulnerable to rock chips. I live on gravel and its a certainty that I will eventually get some rock chips. Wanting to see if anybody has any experience using plastidip for this application.
My vote is PPF or vinyl. I plastidip’d my tow hooks and they are already showing signs of abuse from driving.

If you live on gravel and don’t have any other protection on the rockers like running boards or splash guards, you might end up doing a lot of touch up for the plastidip. Once and done with the PPF or vinyl. Plus PPF is self healing, so any chips will heal in the PPF

jcjohn

Reaction score
My vote is PPF or vinyl. I plastidip’d my tow hooks and they are already showing signs of abuse from driving.

If you live on gravel and don’t have any other protection on the rockers like running boards or splash guards, you might end up doing a lot of touch up for the plastidip. Once and done with the PPF or vinyl. Plus PPF is self healing, so any chips will heal in the PPF
Great feedback and thank you. I have factory auto deploy boards and RAM mud guards already, and they offer some protection. However, another layer of defense would be great as I hope to keep this truck for a long time.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Great feedback and thank you. I have factory auto deploy boards and RAM mud guards already, and they offer some protection. However, another layer of defense would be great as I hope to keep this truck for a long time.
Sure thing! Yeah I think PPF is the way to go for you. As nice as Plastidip is, and somewhat durable, it's claim to fame is easy removal if you don't like the color or texture. So that's setting up to have it wear off the rockers which are one of the areas of abuse on the truck.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve found that the best thing to do is to get some side steps to block the rock chips from hitting your paint. They work way better than mud flaps in my experience.

if you don’t want to get them, I’d get PPF instead of painting.

Users who are viewing this thread