5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards can OEM be add?

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
2019 Laramie wanted to know if the OEM Power Running can you get these from parts. My dealer could not find a number yet on them.
If so do yall think they plug and play?
If not i may go with AMP Research

Last edited:

Rob

Reaction score
Yes they are available. Part number is on the ram trucks website under accessories. Amp research boards are junk btw

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Get ready to Purchase and add the Mopar Factory power running boards i heard of issues a dealership upgrade 2 truck 19 ram 1500 new body with the power running they had 1 truck they could not get the power running boards to work correctly .on this truck it had the 8.4 screen the other truck had the 12 inch and they did not have an issues. both trucks were Laramie, the truck with the problem Ram Tech support was working on the issue with the shop /this has been over 4 months ago when i called the dealership. They told me that the owner never came back to the dealership that he had the problem taken care of. I asked them to call him and ask what was the fix they had tried but he has not returning they calls.

Has anyone installed the factory PRB on they 2019 ram , did you have any problems ?

Dam714

Reaction score
I just bought a set and thought Id save few bucks and install myself, not a good plan. Parts guy failed to tell me (probably didn't know) that after install it has to be flashed and configured through mopar website as an add on, of course only dealers can perform this most important step. Brought it to dealer they said it was done but boards would not work. They said it was probably something I did when pinning the supplied plugs and correct MY mistake it would work...wrong. Got the truck home and proceeded to check my wiring and noticed the power wire in the plug hanging a bit so I tried to push it back in the plug and the special proprietary crimp just snapped in half and found another wire severely chafed and it broke as soon as I touched it. I am very careful and checked those wires a couple times on the original install to make sure there was no mistakes and all of a sudden after the dealer does their thing I have two broken wires. Had to make a trip to another dealer an hour away because they are the only ones in the south that had a spare wiring harness to fix the problem. I can't prove it but I have a real good suspicion that the original dealer unplugged the harness under the dash when it didn't work and bugered up my harness. Oh and by the way after the second dealer fixed the issue they had to flash the computer and do the add on in the Mopar website, wasn't done by original dealer that claimed they took care of it. Sorry for the long story but pay a dealership to do the install, not worth the aggravation.

drumexpert

Reaction score
Just called two dealers about adding the Power Running boards and they both said that they are on hold until Feb 19th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Southern California and got a similar response from a local dealership when I inquired about ordering the power running boards. No Christmas gift for my truck this year!

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I know this topic was about the OEM Boards but AMP Research has released theirs. And in talking to their Tech Support while at the dealer he said they do not make the OEM ones.

Amp Research Steps for 5th Gen
76240-01A
AMP Override switch
79105-01A

geotex1

Reaction score
I know this topic was about the OEM Boards but AMP Research has released theirs. And in talking to their Tech Support while at the dealer he said they do not make the OEM ones.

Amp Research Steps for 5th Gen
76240-01A
AMP Override switch
79105-01A

You mean a dealer tech or AMP? I would say that's likely inaccurate having had the AMP steps and recently eyeballing the Mopar steps in-person for a 2019. The build and mechanisms are too similar such that it would be patent infringement otherwise. AMP has a long list of them for the retractable step tech, and there's no motivation for them to grant when they are in the business of automotive accessories both OEM and aftermarket. Plus, check the FCA supplier list, they're on it.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
You mean a dealer tech or AMP? I would say that's likely inaccurate having had the AMP steps and recently eyeballing the Mopar steps in-person for a 2019. The build and mechanisms are too similar such that it would be patent infringement otherwise. AMP has a long list of them for the retractable step tech, and there's no motivation for them to grant when they are in the business of automotive accessories both OEM and aftermarket. Plus, check the FCA supplier list, they're on it.

Yeah, I’m with you and can’t say how factual it is but the AMP Tech Support said that they do not make them. He said FCA farms that out to another vendor. Not saying he is right just passing along what I heard directly from his mouth.

geotex1

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m with you and can’t say how factual it is but the AMP Tech Support said that they do not make them. He said FCA farms that out to another vendor. Not saying he is right just passing along what I heard directly from his mouth.

Very surprising! Did you speak with Chris P. at AMP?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Very surprising! Did you speak with Chris P. at AMP?

I don’t know who it was. The parts manager called and asked for tech support and had it on speakerphone. They initially tried to put Gen 4 AMP Boards on my truck but found out they didn’t work. They were calling to verify which part number was needed for the Gen 5 and whether they integrated into the UConnect system which he verified they do not. That’s when the parts manager asked if they made the OE boards and he said they did not. He then said that you would have to add the Bypass switch to manually deploy or retract the boards. I then requested that the dealer only use the OEM parts and I’ll wait till Feb 19th.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
It’s possible Mopar paid AMP for the rights to use the design and get a cut of each board sold without having to do anything.

geotex1

Reaction score
It’s possible Mopar paid AMP for the rights to use the design and get a cut of each board sold without having to do anything.

Yes, indeed. AMP has rather limited production capacity, and may not have been able to keep up with demand. If you figure RAM's target is 1400 trucks per day. Say 5% of them have the power steps. That's more than 1500 units a month.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
I just bought a set and thought Id save few bucks and install myself, not a good plan. Parts guy failed to tell me (probably didn't know) that after install it has to be flashed and configured through mopar website as an add on, of course only dealers can perform this most important step. Brought it to dealer they said it was done but boards would not work. They said it was probably something I did when pinning the supplied plugs and correct MY mistake it would work...wrong. Got the truck home and proceeded to check my wiring and noticed the power wire in the plug hanging a bit so I tried to push it back in the plug and the special proprietary crimp just snapped in half and found another wire severely chafed and it broke as soon as I touched it. I am very careful and checked those wires a couple times on the original install to make sure there was no mistakes and all of a sudden after the dealer does their thing I have two broken wires. Had to make a trip to another dealer an hour away because they are the only ones in the south that had a spare wiring harness to fix the problem. I can't prove it but I have a real good suspicion that the original dealer unplugged the harness under the dash when it didn't work and bugered up my harness. Oh and by the way after the second dealer fixed the issue they had to flash the computer and do the add on in the Mopar website, wasn't done by original dealer that claimed they took care of it. Sorry for the long story but pay a dealership to do the install, not worth the aggravation.
Your second dealership that fixed the issue what was that dealership name and location. Im looking at doing this soon.

Users who are viewing this thread