5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 21.0%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 83 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

WHEELBURNS

Reaction score
I just pre-ordered one from a local dealer. They are saying June. I could have the white contractor version tomorrow, but I'm not sure how that would look on a white Rebel.

GTLimited

Reaction score
I just pre-ordered one from a local dealer. They are saying June. I could have the white contractor version tomorrow, but I'm not sure how that would look on a white Rebel.

Depends on how picky you are about color matching.

My personal preference would be that 'contractor' version but color matched, to be honest.

ENOH

Reaction score
I did quite a bit of research on the RSI and even started the preorder. I loved the way they look online, especially on that dark teal Ram.

Then I looked at one locally on a Rebel that drove by. I tracked it down and walked around it for a while. Ultimately I decided to go with an ARE CX Evolve because of the way the RSI doesn't extend past the top of the bed.

I have had toppers on my last two pickups, both Leers, and prefer the way the molded toppers wrap the bed. Went ARE for the molded back door to avoid the plastic part that covers the top of the tailgate.

The color matched ARE CX Evolve with molded rear door, flip down front window (easy to clean), and an electronic lock that syncs with the truck's locks (1 fob) came in at just under $3100 installed.

May add tracks for another $250.

After all the research and price difference it was ultimately the better fit of the ARE that won me over.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ez.allgood

Reaction score
For those of you that have the RSI Smartcap & the Decked system (on a 1500), has it made an impact on your suspension? I already have the Decked system I’m about to pull the trigger on the RSI. Just wondering if I’ll need to upgrade the suspension or will the stock setup be fine. Laramie Sport 1500

Da MNTN

Reaction score
For those of you that have the RSI Smartcap & the Decked system (on a 1500), has it made an impact on your suspension? I already have the Decked system I’m about to pull the trigger on the RSI. Just wondering if I’ll need to upgrade the suspension or will the stock setup be fine. Laramie Sport 1500

Zero impact for me :)

Have both! It's a great combo!

PHFT

Reaction score
I have a 2 inch level in the front so I was getting about a 1/2 inch lower in the back, more when I have the roof top tent on and packed with gear for camping or hunting, but I just got some Timber Grove air bags after my first weekend out, pops the back end back up to level and rides great, plus its a bonus to help level the tent when setting up on uneven ground.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
I have a 2 inch level in the front so I was getting about a 1/2 inch lower in the back, more when I have the roof top tent on and packed with gear for camping or hunting, but I just got some Timber Grove air bags after my first weekend out, pops the back end back up to level and rides great, plus its a bonus to help level the tent when setting up on uneven ground.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, we are taking a cross country trip mid June and will be loaded down with camp gear and coolers. I was looking at the Falcon 2.25” Sport Tow/Haul Shock Leveling System if I needed to do an upgrade. I just love how it rides now and don't want to make it too stiff for daily driving.

ez.allgood

Reaction score
Zero impact for me :)

Have both! It's a great combo!
I've had the Decked for almost a year now and it has been a game changer. I've wanted the RSI for about the same time but needed to save up a bit for that upgrade. Hopefully I can get it ordered and installed before my trip in June. Looks like they are back-ordered thru mid May. Fingers crossed

GTLimited

Reaction score
Any thoughts from the folks who have one ... how hard would it be to vinyl wrap one?

I'm very tempted to get the EvoC Commercial with the solid sides and rear security glass ... it seems like it would be a fairly straight forward wrap. The fact that it's modular with no extreme curves and the side panels don't have extra breaks from the glass like on the Evo Sport. (I can live with the white showing on the inside and around the inner frames of the door).

Or just rock a white cap on granite gray? lol

PHFT

Reaction score
Any thoughts from the folks who have one ... how hard would it be to vinyl wrap one?

I'm very tempted to get the EvoC Commercial with the solid sides and rear security glass ... it seems like it would be a fairly straight forward wrap. The fact that it's modular with no extreme curves and the side panels don't have extra breaks from the glass like on the Evo Sport. (I can live with the white showing on the inside and around the inner frames of the door).

Or just rock a white cap on granite gray? lol
Don't have much experience vinyl wrapping things but the cap comes shipped to your door in 5 pieces so I am assuming it would be pretty easy to wrap each piece before assembling it.

geebus

Reaction score
I wish I were rich enough to buy an RSI... lol
Wrapping it isn't a bad idea, and as stated by PHFT, It shouldn't be terrribly difficult to wrap before assembling.

sinapps

Reaction score
Just installed commercial smart cap.

Attachments

• 20210425_074553_resized.jpg
    20210425_074553_resized.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210425_074700_resized.jpg
    20210425_074700_resized.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 20210425_074726_resized.jpg
    20210425_074726_resized.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 20210425_074825_resized.jpg
    20210425_074825_resized.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 196

sinapps

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20210426_191355_resized.jpg
    20210426_191355_resized.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210427_082228_resized.jpg
    20210427_082228_resized.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 137

sinapps

Reaction score
So far happy with cap but disappointed with company. Received the smartcap Friday. No harness for 3rd brake light in box. Reported to dealer. It's now Wednesday and dealer said they're getting the runaround. No harnesses in US and one has to ship from SA. Really? Open up the boxes in warehouse and ship harness from existing set. This is silly. Of course RSI is sending all calls to VM.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
So far happy with cap but disappointed with company. Received the smartcap Friday. No harness for 3rd brake light in box. Reported to dealer. It's now Wednesday and dealer said they're getting the runaround. No harnesses in US and one has to ship from SA. Really? Open up the boxes in warehouse and ship harness from existing set. This is silly. Of course RSI is sending all calls to VM.

They left mine out and I emailed them directly and received one within days. Try skipping the dealer. It does seem like they are getting behind as they gain popularity and deal with the global shipping issues that are affecting many industries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/