5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are you doing your first oil change?

Bdog

Reaction score
How many miles are you guys doing your first oil changes at?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did mine at about 4,000 miles that included a tire rotation, as well. That was two straight through 1200 mile runs in it. Figured it was severe duty during break-in. I'll follow a 5,000 mile average routine now.

BigBRebel

Reaction score
I just did my first one at 3000 miles. That's been a rule of thumb my entire life with gas engines. We change oil in our drag cars after every weekend of racing. You can never change your oil too much. Change it too little and it will bite you.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my truck tells me too....
Ditto. I’ve been to many oil company workshops over the years and the advise from the oil companies is “follow the manufacture.” My local service place once said, “we don’t recommend the base oil change (Valvoline). It’s only good for 1500 miles. So, I called Valvoline right then and there. They confirmed that any of their current oils will meet or exceed the manufacturer recommended intervals. The dealer no longer uses the 1500 mile line to up sell the oil changes. I personally use synthetic oil and follow the trucks recommended change interval.

Ramlax

Reaction score
my truck is telling me about every 10k i have 3k miles on it and it still says 70% oil life left. am i missing something here?

steveved

Reaction score
Mine is at 972 miles right now and I have an oil change scheduled for 2:30pm today. Should be just over 1000 mile by then as work is 19 miles from my house 1 way.

As an old school hot rodder, it just goes against my nature to leave original oil in a vehicle past 1000 miles. I don't care what the manual says. I want this engine to last me...

After this, every 6000 with synthetic is my plan.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine is at 972 miles right now and I have an oil change scheduled for 2:30pm today. Should be just over 1000 mile by then as work is 19 miles from my house 1 way.

As an old school hot rodder, it just goes against my nature to leave original oil in a vehicle past 1000 miles. I don't care what the manual says. I want this engine to last me...

After this, every 6000 with synthetic is my plan.
Ok, but this is not an old-school hot rod. It is a modern, computer-monitored, state-of-the-art engineering marvel with really tight tolerances, which tells you exactly when you should do this.

Cheers,

KWRIBoom

Reaction score
How many miles are you guys doing your first oil changes at?
First oil change after 500 miles (typical “break in” period for motors (old school rules). I do it early since the surfaces are still mating to each other and there is usually a fair amount of metal shavings I don’t want floating around. Then I’ll change again at 1,500 miles just to make sure she’s good and ready. After that I go to a 3-5k span, depending on what kind of driving I’ve been doing. I’ll do it more often if it’s been heavy on the off-road adventures as well.

craigrh13

Reaction score
6k on my odometer and my oil life is reading around 45%. I’ll change when it gets around 25%.

Joker4L

Reaction score
It is crazy to me when I see people changing their oil every 3-6k miles. That is just throwing money away unless you only do 3-6k a year.

I traditionally change my oil once a year or 7-10k miles with a high quality synthetic oil and filter combo. Never had any issues with any of my vehicles. I understand changing it more often won't hurt the vehicle but it is just throwing away money and good oil. just saying:)

1scruffynerfherder

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but do people do their own oil changes on new trucks?
I’ve always done it in my older cars but they were well outside warranty and I didn’t want to pay someone else to do it. The dealer told me there is no services included at all, not even an oil change after break-in.
Can you do it yourself in a new truck, is there no requirement to reset a computer or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/