5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sedan or SUV to 2021 1500 Limited

Cruz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Anyone switched from a sedan or suv to a Limited and had any regrets?

I've never owned a truck before but the Limited is catching my eye.

I would never tow or use the bed. But would prefer this over a SUV.

I'm currently driving a sports sedan. Parking would be the only drawback correct? Size of the truck?

Thanks!

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I came from a grand cherokee overland to a limited 1500 crew cab and had a 5 series before the GC. Love the truck. Very comfortable and easy to drive despite size. The surround camera makes maneuvering easier. I don’t miss the sedan at all but could have stayed with the GC longer. I switched because I wanted the utility of the Truck Bed. I also have a wrangler that I use half the time but the truck is so darn smooth i drive it the most. I have 3 kids too and they love the size of the back seat.

‘21 1500 Ltd, Max Steel / Indigo Frost

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Coming from my Grand Cherokee, the only "regrets" I have is turning radius and ride quality. My GC turned tighter than many small cars, and of course rode better than a truck too. However they are not really regrets, I still prefer my truck, those are just the minor downsides. You'll probably get used to the truck very quickly.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I'm currently driving a sports sedan. Parking would be the only drawback correct? Size of the truck?

Thanks!
What makes the pickup preferred over a SUV? That would help us answer your question....

beanz690

Reaction score
I just switched from a Mercedes C43 AMG to a 2019 Laramie Sport (bought it used with 11,000 miles). I too have never owned a truck but I do so many different outdoor activities that made me hate having a small sports sedan. The truck with a bed cover is soooooo convenient to go surfing, biking, and karting now. I think the ride is much more comfortable for daily use and the interior is comparable to my Mercedes so I am very happy overall.

The only downsides you may experience for a short period is the adjustment to the size for parking. I routinely borrow my father-in-laws old 3500 diesel so I am already used to driving trucks. Also you mentioned you are looking at the limited so you should get all the cameras and sensors to aid in parking, I would say go for it!

PS: I do kind of miss the twin turbo v-6 that sounded like a mini v-12 but the trade off and a nice sounding hemi was also worth it.

TravisJ

Reaction score
Won't ever use the bed or tow?

I think an explanation of why your are even considering a truck is probably a good start.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Thanks!
Okay, as a guy who always needed/wanted a truck, but used (abused?) SUVs and trailers in their stead, if you're never going to tow or use the bed...um, why are you choosing a truck?

Not dinging your choice. Heck, I'm waiting for my first truck to be delivered. But, I always borrowed or otherwise got around the "problem" of not having a truck. I tow (utility trailers), and carry a lot of outsized things.

Kinda curious what you'd do with that big open space behind your rear window? Oh, and you'd be carrying around a pretty stout frame...perfect for towing...as well. ;)

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went from a 2014 Grand Cherokee to a 2016 Sierra 1500 and didn't like it at all. So I went back to a 2017 Grand Cherokee. I am now going back to a pickup as I don't like the bigger SUV options out there (was holding out for Wagoneer but not worth it IMHO). Kids are getting bigger and need something more to haul the boat. The v6 in the GC did it but really had to get on it to move, plus the bigger room in back on the truck is worth it to me.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently switched from a 5.7L Durango to the Ram 1500, but for towing reasons, plus the interior space is amazing. It was nice having the 3rd row, but so far I love my Longhorn

AD1DDFB3-8DCD-49F7-9B8F-000D57EA1375.png

Ramjeep

Reaction score
I had a 01,02,05,14,18 Jeep GC and this is my first truck (20 Laramie) and I love it other than the Gas and Parking. I was thinking about a Yukon AT4 next but that just screams mommy car to me. For me the biggest like is the interior space. I love being able to spread out and have storage; also space for my friends, then the pandemic hit so I rarely have anyone in my truck now, so it's a bit excessive for just one person but I love this truck.

Last edited:

TechDaddy3x

Reaction score
I came from Yukon’s and Other suvs. The limited is just as plush and more versatile in my opinion. Plenty of space and great cargo room

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't need an explanation from him, and have no problem with him wanting to switch to a truck even though he has no plans to tow or use the bed. I would even encourage it if he wants to drive a comfortable great looking vehicle. I mean, it's his money. He should be able to drive whatever he wants. How many people have 4 wheel drive, but never go off-road. How many people own high performance cars but never take them to the track?

To answer the OP's question, In 2016 I switched from a '99 Suburban to a 2015 Ram 1500. I'm on my 3rd Ram 1500 since owning the Subruban, and have had no regrets since.

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Coming from my Grand Cherokee, the only "regrets" I have is turning radius and ride quality. My GC turned tighter than many small cars, and of course rode better than a truck too. However they are not really regrets, I still prefer my truck, those are just the minor downsides. You'll probably get used to the truck very quickly.
This is surprising to hear. We have a 2014 GC Limited and 2020 GC High Altitude and I think the Ram rides better than both, especially absorbing bumps and potholes. The High Altitude also has air suspension but I don't think it measures up to the Ram.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Edge Limited was her car then she opted for the 1500 Limited. She wouldn't go back.

silver billet

Reaction score
This is surprising to hear. We have a 2014 GC Limited and 2020 GC High Altitude and I think the Ram rides better than both, especially absorbing bumps and potholes. The High Altitude also has air suspension but I don't think it measures up to the Ram.

The Ram suspension has more travel/depth, yes; but the GC is far tighter, more controlled, less sloppy. The Ram will "reverberate" more, whereas the GC it's a quick/slight hit and it's done. I don't think it's even a contest really, the GC is unibody and the Ram is a solid frame. This is on coil suspension for both, perhaps the air suspension feels differently but I don't have any real experience with it.

Tmsmedic

Reaction score
I was an suv and sedan guy for years...300C Srt8, Yukon Denali, Explorer, BMW 7 Series, but once I got my first Ram Laramie, I haven’t looked back. Upgraded to a Longhorn, and finally a Limited that or me has the most comfort of any vehicle I have owned. What I found with SUVs is while there was “more storage” they were still more limited than an open bed. I’ve not ridden in an S class, but I am sure it is more refined than the Limited air ride...but I truly think a Limited is as close to an S class truck you will find.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife drives a 2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk (with the air suspension). Before that, she drove a 2014 Jeep GC Limited (no air). I think the air is a bit more controlled in the 2018 than the 2014's regular suspension, but that may just be me.

Regardless, I like the Limited's air suspension better. Every time I ride with the wife, the Jeep feels a bit harder/stiffer. But she likes hers better, so to each their own.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have a Lincoln Town Car. Ordering my new Ram but will keep the TC. Love the sweet ride.

DSTJ99

Reaction score

I agree. My 21 Ram limited w/20” wheels rides smoother than my ‘18 overland with air suspension and 20” wheels. GC handled better but didn’t soak up bumps. Seats are softer on Ram too.

‘21 1500 Ltd, Max Steel / Indigo Frost

Sportznut

Reaction score
4Runner to 2014 Ram 1500 to 2018 Highlander to 2019 Laramie.

Went from the truck back to an SUV. Couldn't stand driving the SUV. Missed the height of a truck and being able to "hide" my junk ( noisy metal parts from work) in my gigantic truck trunk (truck bed w/tonneau cover).

Only downsides are parking and mpg.

Love taking the truck on long trips! Super comfy and plenty of space.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread