5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Moonroof?

mickster

Reaction score
Everyone always says to stay away, but I feel if you get a reputable company you should be ok. I got a great deal on my Rebel I couldn't pass up compared to all the other dealers within FL but it didn't have the moonroof. I can get one added for $1595, lifetime parts warranty and 3 years labor. I want this being down in Florida, I enjoy the sun and fresh air beating down on me. You guys still think it's a bad idea or are things better now in 2021? Thanks for your response ahead of time

This is the 5 star business I was going to bring it to

Last edited:

mickster

Reaction score
I WOULD NEVER!!! Just my opinion based on horror story's I have heard from others who have done this. Your truck your money......
I respect your answer man. I really do. I have an extended 6yr/72k warranty on my truck. Now I wish I had the moonroof or panoramic since it would've been covered, but I wasn't getting this deal anywhere else so it's all good. Would just love to talk myself into getting one.

Can you tell me some of the horror stories? Even with reputable companies?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard too many stories about rattles/leaks/etc with FACTORY moonroofs, let alone an aftermarket, so I'd never consider an aftermarket one, no matter how 'reputable'. Then again, I hardly ever used them on any vehicle I've ever owned with one so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I would also have serious reservations about letting someone chop a hole in the roof of my brand new truck.

My wife on the other hand LOVES the panoramic roof in her Jeep so....

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. You're cutting a hole in the roof instead of having the roof stamped with the hole.
2. It's not OEM. It won't look OEM. It won't function like OEM.
3. You're cutting a hole in your roof.
4. Dealer can and will most likely deny ANY warranty claims for electrical issues, water, ANYTHING because you cut a hole in your roof.
5. Don't cut holes in your roof.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'd be curious to know if the moonroof trucks have extra reinforcement to replace the missing steel. I suspect they do. I know factory convertibles weigh a bunch more than a sedan because they have to reinforce things or else the body will splay like a shoebox with a cat in it. Your aftermarket roof won't be beefed up any. Do you plan to ever take this Rebel on any rough roads? I would seriously worry about leakage and body sag if the truck gets bounced hard a lot. Even if they do a clean job, will things start to sag a couple years down the road? Will doors still seal right?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I respect your answer man. I really do. I have an extended 6yr/72k warranty on my truck. Now I wish I had the moonroof or panoramic since it would've been covered, but I wasn't getting this deal anywhere else so it's all good. Would just love to talk myself into getting one.

Can you tell me some of the horror stories? Even with reputable companies?
^^^^All the aforementioned. I totally understand the want for one but.....

mickster

Reaction score
Well, everything you guys are saying is what I filled my head with when buying the truck. I was convincing myself I didn't want a moonroof anyway. I remember having issues with my 2001 F150 moonroof I had. That truck was brand new and sucked so I sold it. Probably don't wanna go down that road again.

I'm gonna chill then and not get one. I'm getting undercoating done next week since I live by the beach then I'm gonna start reading about the forums on what other mods I can do. Appreciate you guys responding.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean I didn't want one with a moonroof. It ended up being the one on the lot that I wanted, the price was acceptable for me, and my wife REALLY wanted the moonroof since her SUV no longer had one after we traded her car.

Now that I have it I won't say I don't enjoy it, but it's a huge piece of glass that needed to be tinted immediately. On hot days you could feel the heat even through the covering. I'm just hoping any issues happen under my extended warranty.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Nope. Nope. Nope. Like, what every response said. Nope.

And if you're in south Florida where it rains *literally* every day. Well, you'd be quite ****ed. Every day. Nope.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you made a good decision by not getting an a/m roof. I've been in the car business for a while, and one of the big issues I have seen with a/m roofs is getting parts. It's all good when you live near your ace installer. But what if he goes out of business? What if you are on a long trip when your roof won't close all the way? There just isn't an adequate support system for those additions.

mickster

Reaction score
I think you made a good decision by not getting an a/m roof. I've been in the car business for a while, and one of the big issues I have seen with a/m roofs is getting parts. It's all good when you live near your ace installer. But what if he goes out of business? What if you are on a long trip when your roof won't close all the way? There just isn't an adequate support system for those additions.
wow, you actually brought up a great point here. I will be splitting time between Florida and Minnesota. If something goes wrong and I'm in Minnesota, it's going to be a RIP

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To add to the chorus of "don't do it," I uncovered this in the manual while researching roof racks (emphasis added). Consider what ignoring this advice might do to your warranty, and potentially safety.
In order for the SABICs [Side Airbag Inflatable Curains] to work as intended, do not install any accessory items in your vehicle which could alter the roof. Do not add an aftermarket sunroof to your vehicle. Do not add roof racks that require permanent attachments (bolts or screws) for installation on the vehicle roof. Do not drill into the roof of the vehicle for any reason.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put one in my first Mazda Truck back in 1992 and it turned out great. Never had any squeaks, rattles, or leaks. Very happy that I did it. This truck is quite larger and it would make me nervous to put one in but if the company stands by their work and can show you some samples of their work and it looks good.

I think the statement above is for the edges of the roof so you don't puncture or restrict the side curtain airbags. It is also just for Rams liability saying if you do it we aren't responsible because we said not to....

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
Id never add anything like that non oem,added power windows to a dodge caravan years ago(non oem) through the dealer, they fell apart 5 times in the 3 years of ownership, they fixed it every time,then the dealer went out of business, the installer wouldn't answer my calls and eventually disappeared altogether, it ended up using vice grips to crank the drivers window.....never again.

TravisJ

Reaction score
Even if they stand behind their work, what happens if there is a problem (design or installation) and no matter what they do they can't fix the problem. Say it is a leak, rattle, sqeak, etc.

Sure, they made refund you completely for the thing...but uhh, you can't really put a roof back together. It is a change that has no point of return. Once you do it, you got a hole in your roof. It isn't like changing a bumper that can easily go back to original.

Users who are viewing this thread