5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

dannymcd

Reaction score
The Short: I swapped a Fram with a K&N and removed the carbon filter screen.

The Long: So...I was averaging around 15.7-16.5mpg, mostly city driving. I thought that was low but hey it's winter. I went on a ski trip that put around 1200mi's all highway and when it was done, I was around 18.7, but during it was at one point 21.0mpg. I get home and go back to city driving and it drops back to normal. Then I swapped out a clean Fram air filter with a K&N and remove the carbon filter in the lid, now I'm running around 17.3mpg which frankly I didn't expect to see, and Now I'm wondering if the Vararam or larger throttle body would do even better.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

HemiDude

Reaction score
How are those drop in liners? Amazon ones right? I’m thinking of ordering a set.
They are of good quality. If I did it again I would like to find a set with fewer pieces, as some of them are in areas that you just don't see unless you are looking (door handle pockets, and the skinny outer pockets on the center console for example). I do like the look of the ones that I see on a regular basis, such as the coin holder tray.

WReckeR

Reaction score

The Long: So...I was averaging around 15.7-16.5mpg, mostly city driving. I thought that was low but hey it's winter. I went on a ski trip that put around 1200mi's all highway and when it was done, I was around 18.7, but during it was at one point 21.0mpg. I get home and go back to city driving and it drops back to normal. Then I swapped out a clean Fram air filter with a K&N and remove the carbon filter in the lid, now I'm running around 17.3mpg which frankly I didn't expect to see, and Now I'm wondering if the Vararam or larger throttle body would do even better.
After 1300 miles, I cannot seem to get above 14.1 mpg. It's deeply unnerving when the worst mileage on the sticker is 17 in the city. I would be thrilled to get 16 in the city, 19 on the highway.

Sherran

Reaction score
After 1300 miles, I cannot seem to get above 14.1 mpg. It's deeply unnerving when the worst mileage on the sticker is 17 in the city. I would be thrilled to get 16 in the city, 19 on the highway.
10k miles and I get 13.8 mpg average. Can't say I've seen anything over 15. I reset it maybe once every 2 weeks. I use super unleaded gas. I do like to get up to speed pretty fast so maybe that has something to do w/ it.

Solosnavy

Reaction score

what carbon filter do you speak of?

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I can tell you I removed the charcoal and put a free flowing filter in and it made no difference.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I can tell you I removed the charcoal and put a free flowing filter in and it made no difference.
yeah that's what I was expecting just looking at the stock intake it's not restrictive at all, I really wonder how CAI mfg's can even claim any gains over stock when they're basically the same layout. maybe it's still reading less air and it's leaning it out somehow and it's just temporary.

Solosnavy

Reaction score
yeah that's what I was expecting just looking at the stock intake it's not restrictive at all, I really wonder how CAI mfg's can even claim any gains over stock when they're basically the same layout. maybe it's still reading less air and it's leaning it out somehow and it's just temporary.
they're just like stickers the cooler it looks the more HP gains you get... that and they sounds cool.

BowDown

Reaction score

Yeah, I don't see either of these making a difference. I'll put a reusable air filter in when this ones gets dirty but not for performance

BowDown

Reaction score

They don't have to validate their "claims".

kevinvw

Reaction score

Yeah, I decided to not even worry about mileage gains before I bought it. Totally knew I was buying a gas guzzler and was OK with that.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the first oil change in the Laramie, 4545 miles. Went with Amsoil XL 5W-20 and a WIX filter given the recent issues with their Ea filter for this engine and not wanting to chance the longer EaO version not fitting. I ran Amsoil in my titan for 10 years and it still ran like new with 172K on it, so I figured I'd give it a shot on this truck. Pulled a sample for analysis which I'll send in tomorrow then pull another on the next change. I plan on changing again at 10K on the odometer and then every 10K thereafter as long as the analysis looks good.

Also installed the fumoto drain valve. Had minimal mess on the filter change using a gallon baggie, and also it came right off using minimal effort on a strap wrench, but once again, the genius who designed my drain pan with squared-off ridges in the middle of it needs to be slapped. It sends oil spraying out all sides no matter how careful you are. Next change using the drain hose will be far easier and cleaner.

NightRAM

Reaction score
Installed this mount on the dash cubby and centered the radar with the 12” display. It’s perfect and looks much better than hanging from the rear view or a suction cup on the window. I do have to put the rubber tray back in though.

Attachments

• BC2B5616-E90D-465C-BA23-729DD1C4971A.jpeg
    BC2B5616-E90D-465C-BA23-729DD1C4971A.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 84D1DAB6-102C-4A98-A6E0-636DA5B49C86.jpeg
    84D1DAB6-102C-4A98-A6E0-636DA5B49C86.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 3A5A3685-F366-4AAC-8472-26BCB7CD7C8C.jpeg
    3A5A3685-F366-4AAC-8472-26BCB7CD7C8C.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 5CED6778-584E-4CCD-B472-09959B6F2248.jpeg
    5CED6778-584E-4CCD-B472-09959B6F2248.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 232

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Had my daughter drive the Ram again, this time on the interstate. My wife has been all about delicate side streets in the Subaru. Screw that, I made her deal with major construction zones in the Ram. She did just fine. My kids have more hours driving the Ram than my wife does. I let my 12 yr old son drive it in Maui last summer. With Covid we had scary movie zero traffic so what bad could he do?

Users who are viewing this thread