5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on locking lug nuts. I might find myself dispersed camping in Appalachia during some dirt bike trips. I don't want to return and find my truck with no wheels and all my camping gear gone. I have met many great folks out there, but it only takes one derelict to spoil everything.

Do you get just one lock per wheel?
Do the key patterns vary across models and brands?
Can I get them in black?

I'm seeing 16-22 pc key sets for under $75 on Ebay, at Lowes, at Harbor Freight. Honestly, is it that easy? All you need is a cordless drill and a kit in a nice carrying case, and you've circumvented all of those clever wheel owners.
It's not hard to "defeat" locking lug nuts. Just like anything else, they only keep honest people honest. If someone really wants your wheels, they are going to get them. Locking lug nuts or not. Just a money maker for lug nut manufacturers because they can charge more for them, and only a headache for owners trying to keep track of the key and hope you never lose it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are those the newfangled sleeve solder joints I see on Facebook ? You just heat them up and they solder AND shrink? Can you get them locally?
They aren't new fangled. Have been around for quite a while. When I joined Navy in 1995, the military had already been using them for years.

Trexmx77

Reaction score
What I did...Picked the truck up at the dealer, installed the Bakflip X4, a Bedrug, and the posts to use the bed divider as a bed extender. I think that's enough for today.
View attachment 84034
Looks good! Where did you get the post to use the bed divider as the extender? Or do you have a part number for those? Id like to be able to use that on mine as well.

Smashius

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on locking lug nuts. I might find myself dispersed camping in Appalachia during some dirt bike trips. I don't want to return and find my truck with no wheels and all my camping gear gone. I have met many great folks out there, but it only takes one derelict to spoil everything.

Can I get them in black?

I'm seeing 16-22 pc key sets for under $75 on Ebay, at Lowes, at Harbor Freight. Honestly, is it that easy? All you need is a cordless drill and a kit in a nice carrying case, and you've circumvented all of those clever wheel owners.

One lock per wheel, yes on black.

I have a friend who works in the wheel industry, and has for the past 20 years, and he's not a fan of locks. If someone wants your wheels they're going to get them, it's just likely to be more damage if there are locking lugs on there. Hopefully it's just breaking the window to get the lug key. Not trying to discourage anyone, just passing along what I've been told from someone who knows more about it than I do.

ETA - HSKR beat me to it

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
One lock per wheel, yes on black.

I have a friend who works in the wheel industry, and has for the past 20 years, and he's not a fan of locks. If someone wants your wheels they're going to get them, it's just likely to be more damage if there are locking lugs on there. Hopefully it's just breaking the window to get the lug key. Not trying to discourage anyone, just passing along what I've been told from someone who knows more about it than I do.

Yep. Worked at a tire shop while going to college. Numerous times people lose the key. All we would do is hammer a size smaller socket over it and zip it off with impact! Really easy. I wouldn’t waste my money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Yep. Worked at a tire shop while going to college. Numerous times people lose the key. All we would do is hammer a size smaller socket over it and zip it off with impact! Really easy. I wouldn’t waste my money!

Or, a good ease out socket! They’re cheap!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought these wheel locks, you're not sliding a socket over these and taking them off.

T544170

Yes if someone wants your wheels, they'll find a way but it wont be easy. You can keep the key in a console/gun safe in the truck

BowDown

Reaction score
Maybe not a socket, but I promise I could get them off. We saw everything at the ole Tire shop!

Maybe but not without a lot of noise including some from my friend H and his friend K. Wheel locks aren't a "you're not getting my wheels" they are a "let's look for an easier target" device.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score

Can I get them in black?

I have 2 sets of advanced wheel locks on each of my wheels and I don’t think they will be easily defeated...

Attachments

• 3C0B3892-7DCF-4FE9-A5FC-DA7D3CCECF53.jpeg
    3C0B3892-7DCF-4FE9-A5FC-DA7D3CCECF53.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 03171E12-9B27-4EDD-AD01-3FD17EA7AB1E.jpeg
    03171E12-9B27-4EDD-AD01-3FD17EA7AB1E.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 157

West1986

Reaction score
Ordered the Tazer DT and gave him a wipe down to keep that ceramic coating smooth..lol

HemiDude

Reaction score

Can I get them in black?

Locking nuts will keep the random kids looking for a quick score from taking your wheels, which is a slight peace of mind, but in most cases someone who wants something bad enough will find a way. A $2500 set of wheels and tires is worth the investment in whatever level of protection you feel comfortable with. Even if a thief were to butcher the wheels getting them off, there is still value in a brand new set of tires, so I try not to lose too much sleep over my choice of protection ;)

Drumnut14

Reaction score

Can I get them in black?

I use the Gorilla 96644BDX set on my 21 Rebel, all locking bulge style black nuts, at least it will slow them down??

Users who are viewing this thread