5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Base 6 speaker system 6x9 UPGRADE !

MarkB67

Reaction score
All you need do put your base 6 speaker system on steroids is 4 Pioneer TS-G690 for front and rear doors and 2 pairs of Metra 71-050 speaker adapters and you are set !!!!! Don’t worry about changing the dash speakers out as I’ve already tried that with the Infinity and FaitalPro dash speakers with the Pioneers , the Infinitys robbed the front doors of sound and the FaitalPro sounded weird to me ,it was a waste of time and money!!! The 6x9s give you the extra highs you were missing they are $50 a pair , you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

sppb32

Reaction score
All you need do put your base 6 speaker system on steroids is 4 Pioneer TS-G690 for front and rear doors and 2 pairs of Metra 71-050 speaker adapters and you are set !!!!! Don’t worry about changing the dash speakers out as I’ve already tried that with the Infinity and FaitalPro dash speakers with the Pioneers , the Infinitys robbed the front doors of sound and the FaitalPro sounded weird to me ,it was a waste of time and money!!! The 6x9s give you the extra highs you were missing they are $50 a pair , you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!
Your dash speaker on the base sound system are most likely out of phase from factory that's why they don't sound good, until you get individual amplification for all you ain't getting much out of the dash on the base system but if you do get individual amplification for all the difference is amazing

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

MarkB67

Reaction score
Your dash speaker on the base sound system are most likely out of phase from factory that's why they don't sound good, until you get individual amplification for all you ain't getting much out of the dash on the base system but if you do get individual amplification for all the difference is amazing

I’m extremely happy with my setup,not looking to add amps and subs , there’s no need unless your goal is to go deaf

sppb32

Reaction score
I’m extremely happy with my setup,not looking to add amps and subs , there’s no need unless your goal is to go deaf
You don't have to have a gazillion watts, just 50 per channel with carefully picked speakers and a 8" subwoofer to make it sound like a million bucks, besides I'm 52 and pushing close to 4000 watts still not deaf. lol
Car audio for me it's an art not an obsession.

Code2medic

Reaction score
Meh I’d go with audiofrog or something a bit higher end pioneer isn’t what they use to be

Code2medic

Reaction score
Amps are for going deaf they help clean up the sound, clipping etc. think of it as a filter cleaning up all the trash....it also helps control the highs and low to each speaker. You don’t want lows hitting on front speakers or tweeters and vice versa. Cleaning up the music is worth at least an amp upgrade

MarkB67

Reaction score
Amps are for going deaf they help clean up the sound, clipping etc. think of it as a filter cleaning up all the trash....it also helps control the highs and low to each speaker. You don’t want lows hitting on front speakers or tweeters and vice versa. Cleaning up the music is worth at least an amp upgrade
As good as my system sounds with no amp I wouldn’t consider a amp, I started this thread for people with with the basic 6 speaker system to get the most bang for their buck,with just adding the Pioneers in the doors your system will come alive!also from what I’m reading adding an amp involves more than just the amp , you have to do the PAC Interface unit too and some people are having issues with that too, I’m keeping it simple, I’m only $130 in and completely satisfied,one of my favorite slogans is “ I can lead a horse to water but I can’t make him drink it “ lol

cervelo15

Reaction score
I’m interested in this too, since I have been trolling to upgrade the speakers. Will wait to see how this plays out.

Code2medic

Reaction score
As good as my system sounds with no amp I wouldn’t consider a amp, I started this thread for people with with the basic 6 speaker system to get the most bang for their buck,with just adding the Pioneers in the doors your system will come alive!also from what I’m reading adding an amp involves more than just the amp , you have to do the PAC Interface unit too and some people are having issues with that too, I’m keeping it simple, I’m only $130 in and completely satisfied,one of my favorite slogans is “ I can lead a horse to water but I can’t make him drink it “ lol
I’m cool with that... I stopped doing the stereo stuff cars are getting out of hand on what you need to spend to get everything to work. Told myself once I decide to do mine again I’ll drive the 700 miles to have the pros install it pay once cry once.
As far as the pac module is take those who claim issues for a grain of salt 9 out 10 more then likely did a self install and missed a step didn’t update etc. it’s actually common...

pac when has issues they are told by the installers that do it for a living and they tend to get the 411 on it pretty fast to fix it.

sppb32

Reaction score
A 5 year old can install the PAC module, you can't **** it up even if you wanted to, the only thing that can go wrong is wiring the speaker to the OEM harness adapter if you use it or not following the instructions on how to set the switches and program the OEM headunit
I respect the ones that just want a bit better definition out of their basic sound system but from an audiophile standpoint none of the sound systems offered by the manufactured is not even decent, it might sound good to most but for me my 04 GMC Envoy with Bose System had a much better sound than my 2020 Laramie with the Alpine, they think that just install a crap load of speakers it's going to make it sound better and most people fall for it , WOW 19 speakers? budget spent on unnecessary center and surround speakers ( really? surround speakers?) could be used for better quality speakers on the dash and front doors,

Code2medic

Reaction score
A 5 year old can install the PAC module, you can't **** it up even if you wanted to, the only thing that can go wrong is wiring the speaker to the OEM harness adapter if you use it or not following the instructions on how to set the switches and program the OEM headunit
I respect the ones that just want a bit better definition out of their basic sound system but from an audiophile standpoint none of the sound systems offered by the manufactured is not even decent, it might sound good to most but for me my 04 GMC Envoy with Bose System had a much better sound than my 2020 Laramie with the Alpine, they think that just install a crap load of speakers it's going to make it sound better and most people fall for it , WOW 19 speakers? budget spent on unnecessary center and surround speakers ( really? surround speakers?) could be used for better quality speakers on the dash and front doors,
Actually you can mess up a pac.... we are talking about people saying that had issues apparently so they have proven to some they can mess it up 😂. It’s lack of reading the directions and noting the special warnings and of course clicking away at stuff with the GUI....😂😂😂😂 not matching up the harness color for color etc... also most don’t even check to see if that speakers are in phase to begin with...

Bossdog421

Reaction score
So i am not happy with the base 6 speaker system at all.

I'm looking at the items you listed. You said you already tried replacing the dash speakers, did you put the stock dash speakers back in?

Clutchfield site says the TS-G690s wont fit in the front door of my 2020 1500. Did you have any issues getting them in the front?

I'm looking to get a cheap boost in sound until i do some real upgrades later.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm looking at the items you listed. You said you already tried replacing the dash speakers, did you put the stock dash speakers back in?

Clutchfield site says the TS-G690s wont fit in the front door of my 2020 1500. Did you have any issues getting them in the front?

Crutchfield says 6x9’s won’t fit in the front door due to clearance issues and recommend a smaller 5.5 or 6.5” speaker. Many have upgraded front door speakers to aftermarket 6x9’s with no issue tho.

sppb32

Reaction score

They fit, mine are also 2-3/4 deep and they fit no problem, i think you can fit up to 3" mounting depth

MarkB67

Reaction score

I put the factory dash speakers back in , speakers had no problem fitting, Crutchfield is wrong about fitment

MarkB67

Reaction score

If you put the pioneers in you won’t regret it,,they rock !!!!!!!,I also got some 3/8” wide weather stripping from Lowe’s to seal the speakers to the doors

Users who are viewing this thread