5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig Sway Bar Purchase$$$$

Robalo2718

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for the Hellwig sway bar here. I have a 1.5" spacer in the back, so I put the Hellwig on the middle setting. I did not do extended rear links. The new sway bar, at its current setting, allows me to take corners 5-10mph faster than I could without it. Minimal reduction in articulation noted on very rough roads at slow speed.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for the Hellwig sway bar here. I have a 1.5" spacer in the back, so I put the Hellwig on the middle setting. I did not do extended rear links. The new sway bar, at its current setting, allows me to take corners 5-10mph faster than I could without it. Minimal reduction in articulation noted on very rough roads at slow speed.
Not sure why not just putting on firmest setting. To me that’s what I got it for - maximum handling. Just do it and you’ll see. Drives totally flat/tight around corners like a German luxury car...And that’s with a 3.5” lift. Can’t imagine what it feel like with no lift, stock.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure why not just putting on firmest setting. To me that’s what I got it for - maximum handling. Just do it and you’ll see. Drives totally flat/tight around corners like a German luxury car...And that’s with a 3.5” lift. Can’t imagine what it feel like with no lift, stock.
I did a 2" rear drop and added Bilsteins along with the Hellwig, it can crease the pavement on exit ramps

Last edited:

obrien

Reaction score
I have mine in middle as well.

To not be biased, trying validate my own purchase I didn't tell wife what I did. She immediately felt it and confirmed it is much better. She actually called my while driving asking what have I done to it :-D

Robalo2718

Reaction score
Yeah for me it was mostly about reducing the increased sway from the lift. I spend enough time on rough roads that I did not want to mess with the articulation by going to the tightest setting (although maybe the tightest setting wouldn't actually be that big of a difference). German luxury car definitely sounds fun, but not what I'm looking for in my truck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
In the firmest setting the ride is bouncier since there's less articulation. Specially driving on bad streets.
That's the beauty of this model, that you can adjust it to your own preference.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Yeh I get it with rough roads and articulation...Guess I'm fortunate with my commute being mostly highway with fairly decent roads however, when I do hit the occasional bumps, potholes, I don't get that bouncier feel but responds firm, planted like a large BMW sedan (my wife has 5 series I can compare ride quality to).

I just love having best of both worlds with this truck - ruggedness/toughness AND luxury.

As a recent ex-F-150 owner though (sold 2018 XLT Sport crew for my Ram) I do wonder about ride quality of the new F-150. I just remember that rear leaf spring hop, bounce used to get, but other than that cabin was pretty smooth and definitely better fuel economy with the 2.7L EB...It wasn't lifted though so kind of hard to compare to what I'm driving now...Any hoo I digress...

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked mine up as an Amazon Warehouse deal for under $200. Someone had bought and returned it but it was never installed. I figured it would be like new, and it was.

I run it on the stiffest setting and I can confirm the handling through turns is flatter than stock. The truck feels more planted in everyday driving. No downside that I can tell.

I tow a travel trailer often. When towing there is a slight improvement in stability but not much in my opinion.

Do you think your air suspension attributes the minimal towing improvement?

Last edited:

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think your air suspension attributes the minimal towing improvement?
Your question got me thinking. I think the air suspension does provide a firmer effective spring rate while towing (evidenced by the lack of sag even with a substantial tongue weight). That firmer spring rate could provide a more stable ride when towing. Could be why I’m not feeling any significant stability improvement while towing. Just a theory.

GoRamGo

Reaction score
I am looking to get this since everyone swears by it but get mixed messages on what one to get I have a 3.5 inch lift based off 5100 Bilstein's a top hat spacer and also rear icon springs not sure if it is considered lifted or level but which model of the Hellwig should I buy

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to get this since everyone swears by it but get mixed messages on what one to get I have a 3.5 inch lift based off 5100 Bilstein's a top hat spacer and also rear icon springs not sure if it is considered lifted or level but which model of the Hellwig should I buy
If lifted 2" or more in the rear it is recommended to get part # 7883 with the adjustable links.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score

If you look a few posts above, there’s a link to a good deal for the one you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread