5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicycle Hauling

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
The rack or the bikes? Because...yes, lol.

We ride like about 200 days a year, with 10-20 trips to bike parks mixed in there. It's a good time!
Rack. I already know the bikes are expensive. You can tell from the rack. Lol.

Smashius

Reaction score
Rack. I already know the bikes are expensive. You can tell from the rack. Lol.

Haha!

It is, but it's hands down the best rack I've ever used, and it allows us to take 6 bikes. I had a tray hitch rack that was nice, but it was only 3 bikes capable. Just between my wife and I, there are trips where we each take 2 bikes (one DH bike, one trail bike a piece), so the big rack was a must.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is my current rack when it was on my F150, but you get the idea. At the time, I had it setup with a kayak rack on the left side and bike rack on the right, now it has two bike racks on the right side, I no longer have the basket.

Bike Rack.jpg

Bike Rack 2.jpg

richierobs

Reaction score
My parking garage has narrow entrances and low ceilings, so I went with a front wheel off, board-mounted fork clamp solution. Used threaded u-bolts to attach a wooden board to existing loops in the flat bed, then bolted the fork mounts to the wooden board.
The lower part of the fork clamp accepts my road bike, and the upper part accepts the 15x110mm thru-axle of my mountain bike.
On the first road test over some particularly vicious speed bumps the bike didn’t bounce or move around at all. Simple and effective solution with the bike contained fully within the flat bed.

e3ec2517c672767011153ebb8475467d.jpg

5d138802be36fcedd1532e301984b726.jpg

b0d157e22bbfad935a4393b339672d29.jpg

f5878734f659a30ed4a325650681cdc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richierobs

Reaction score
Neat. Do you keep the front wheel inside? I’ve been tying mine to the side of the flat bed with a bungie cord

Reaction score
Neat. Do you keep the front wheel inside? I’ve been tying mine to the side of the flat bed with a bungie cord

I’ll keep the front wheel(s) in the cab if I need the security... otherwise I’ll put them in the bed as well. the mounts themselves are bolted to a track (which is hard mounted to the bed) so I can slide the mounts around if I need extra room.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For all you guys with just 1 bike, why not just lay it down in the bed and use 2 bungies to strap it down? I do that for my bike, the rear tire is closest to front passenger and the front tire is closest to rear driver side and then just strap each tire down. Takes literally 2 seconds, and I no longer have to remove the front wheel anymore like I did when I was putting it in the back of my Jeep. The bike doesn't move at all like that, and it has to be better than constantly taking the front tire off, the forks on my bike are all scuffed now due to years of unclipping it every time.

Scmil

Reaction score
We bought a cheap (cheaper than big name) bell up right 360. Hitch mounted tray rack for 3 bikes. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it works great on a few multi hour trips without any issues. Setting it up wasn't too bad and once each mount was set for the specific bike, the process is even easier.

Gitter

Reaction score
For all you guys with just 1 bike, why not just lay it down in the bed and use 2 bungies to strap it down? I do that for my bike, the rear tire is closest to front passenger and the front tire is closest to rear driver side and then just strap each tire down. Takes literally 2 seconds, and I no longer have to remove the front wheel anymore like I did when I was putting it in the back of my Jeep. The bike doesn't move at all like that, and it has to be better than constantly taking the front tire off, the forks on my bike are all scuffed now due to years of unclipping it every time.

That's basically what I do since I always have a tonneau on my trucks. It's secure under the cover AND it's out-of-site/out-of-mind.

This time around I added a BedRug XLT Mat as well (partly to save my knees and partly to prevent scuffing of things I haul). I wish I had bought one of these mats sooner because it makes it so much easier to put the bike in & take it out. Now I don't even worry about opening the tonneau...just open the tailgate and the bike just slides in or out on the carpet.

20201031_133657.jpg

And you're right, the fork mount on my old truck definitely scuffed up the fork after years of use (on an different bike).

polopawlowski

Reaction score
View attachment 41056 View attachment 41057 View attachment 41058
A few images of my old setup on my gen 4 ecodiesel. Bed crossbars with 2 1ups and 2 Whispbars and for 2 more on the back, a Kuat. Much simplified on the new truck, single 1up on the hitch, with 1 add-on, if needed and 2 fork mount Rocky mounts in the bed. My son drives now, so I don’t have the need to carry that many bikes anymore. Most of the time, just me.
Wow....amazing setups!!! Do you use your hitch mounts (Kuat and 1Up USA) with or without the hitch extenders? Some are saying a hitch mount won't work because then the tailgate will not open fully.

R4M

Reaction score
The KUAT NV 2.0 does not allow the tailgate to open fully, even in the fully down position.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
The KUAT NV 2.0 does not allow the tailgate to open fully, even in the fully down position.
I have an NV and Sherpa, had this same issue with my F250. I get my Ram tomorrow, had the same question which you just answered.

May have to cough up $350 for this.

I use a 2x6 with a fork Mount if it’s just me and I don’t need the bed

Rossi396

Reaction score
Haven’t read through every post yet so apologies if this has already been mentioned. This is my setup and it has lasted for nearly fifteen years and four trucks and is still in great shape. It allows the tailgate to be opened and gives you full access to the bed.

Kzink

Reaction score
Wow....amazing setups!!! Do you use your hitch mounts (Kuat and 1Up USA) with or without the hitch extenders? Some are saying a hitch mount won't work because then the tailgate will not open fully.
Also wondering the same. I have a Yakima holdup evo and it doesn’t allow me to open my tailgate either. Looking for one that will.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Also wondering the same. I have a Yakima holdup evo and it doesn’t allow me to open my tailgate either. Looking for one that will.

Have yet to mount up my Kuat to my new truck, but cannot imagine I'll be able to open the tailgate. MAYBE the MFT when it is unloaded. I will caution you that someone dropped the tailgate on my old truck when the rack was empty - and the plastic wheel tray put a dent in it.

I'll also caution you that Kuat states you should not use an extender - something about keeping it tight.

I'm guessing the pivot sway away is the only real remedy, and holy hell it is expensive. I do believe Yakima makes one that is about $100 less - but still crazy money

Users who are viewing this thread