5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question re max towing capacity for Ecodiesel

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie Ecodiesel and ordered trailer break controlled to be installed by the dealership for $750 in a couple of weeks. My dump trailer is 6x12' rated at 10,000lbs. My plan is to tow a CAT 303 mini excavator. The excavator is around around 6,500lbs + 3,500lbs for the trailer puts the total at the 10,000 which is at the limit of the Ram. 1. Please tell me that I DO need the trailer break controller so I don't feel bad about paying $750 for it. and 2. Would you tow 10,000 lbs given that it's on the limits of the capacity. Should I trade-in the truck for 2500? Thank you in advance!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have to have the trailer brake controller for any trailer over 2500lbs in most states...some are less. So yes you DO NEED IT.

Where are you getting 10k is your trailer limit?

the ecoDiesel actually has a lower GCWR than the Hemi. So I am guessing you have not read any of our towing threads to see that the max towing number is not the max trailer number.

Being a Laramie I am sure your payload is around 1300lbs.

This being said what topography are you towing in?

If it is fairly flat, you may be okay. If not...you may want the extra capacity of a 2500 especially coming down hills.

Is this a tow you will make regularly?

This will also decide how well the truck will work.

The ecoDiesel may be fine. But we would have to know a bit more about your use case

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In your other 2 posts you give conflicting info

Is it a CAT 35 or 303?

What is your rear gear and what is your sticker payload?

For a tradesman trim it is 9710 with 3.92 and 8010 for 3.21

This does not include you and the hitch.

You may find you are way over capacity.

I will not make that judgement until you cone back with some more info.

Reaction score
You have to have the trailer brake controller for any trailer over 2500lbs in most states...some are less. So yes you DO NEED IT.

Where are you getting 10k is your trailer limit?

the ecoDiesel actually has a lower GCWR than the Hemi. So I am guessing you have not read any of our towing threads to see that the max towing number is not the max trailer number.

Being a Laramie I am sure your payload is around 1300lbs.

This being said what topography are you towing in?

If it is fairly flat, you may be okay. If not...you may want the extra capacity of a 2500 especially coming down hills.

Is this a tow you will make regularly?

This will also decide how well the truck will work.

The ecoDiesel may be fine. But we would have to know a bit more about your use case
Thanks for the detailed response. I got the towing capacity from this website: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html
I tow the excavator 5-6 times per year and drive annoyingly slow. I really don't want to trade-in for a 2500. I put on around 30K miles per year on the trucks so MPG is a factor for me. Maryland is mostly flat, with some hills.

Reaction score
In your other 2 posts you give conflicting info

Is it a CAT 35 or 303?

What is your rear gear and what is your sticker payload?

For a tradesman trim it is 9710 with 3.92 and 8010 for 3.21

This does not include you and the hitch.

You may find you are way over capacity.

I will not make that judgement until you cone back with some more info.
The excavator is Cat 35G: 8.135lb operating capacity. This is the door sticker of the truck. I'd prefer to make modifications to this truck in order to tow the excavator because I like it AND because I'd lose a lot of money to swap it for a 2500. The other thing is - I often must park in underground garages and the 2500 would be a challenge. Thanks for your help.

20210119_201211.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You need to look at the other sticker. It is the tire and loading sticker. It will list payload

Take the 7200GVWR you showed on this sticker and subtract the payload from the other sticker to get the base weight.

Then take that number from GCWR to get your max towing. Then you have to start taking away passengers cargo and tongue weight.

GCWR is 13900 for 3.21 and 15600 for 3.92.

You are going to be quite a bit over. But if you go to a CAT scale...se how close you are with axle weights. If the axle weights are below 3900 front and 4100 rear...you should be ok doing it 5 to 6 times in Maryland.

Let me know what your payload sticker says and what rear gear you have and we will hash it out.

Thanks for replying back.

Boston

Reaction score
I’m guessing at a minimum that the equipment trailer you are using has a gvwr of 12,000lbs. Any equipment trailer you get will weigh at least 2800lbs to be capable of carrying that Cat. Again check the stickers if the trailer and truck. The yellow ones.

I’m personally worried that you seem to have little idea of the weights etc and have no prior experience towing as you ask whether you need a TBC.

One thing you don’t need with this combination is a cdl. You are only up to a GCWR of around 20,000lb if my trailer guess is at the small light equipment level. But with the stickers I can’t be sure.

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
I rented a bobcat e35 (7,699 lb operating weight) this summer and pulled it home about 10 miles on a flatbed. Have the factory brake controller. I know I was over and it didn't do it well, especially up a big hill (3mpg) but it did it OK. If I were towing anywhere near that weight more than once a year, or maybe less, I'd spring for the 2500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just went back through your other post.

The piece of equipment is planned to be towed in your dump trailer?

The equipment alone is over your tow rating. It is also over your trailer rating.

You need to start over with either a smaller piece of equipment or a bigger truck and trailer.

And if you do not have experience towing...you might want to get the 3500 to compensate for mistakes.

Reaction score
I’m guessing at a minimum that the equipment trailer you are using has a gvwr of 12,000lbs. Any equipment trailer you get will weigh at least 2800lbs to be capable of carrying that Cat. Again check the stickers if the trailer and truck. The yellow ones.

I’m personally worried that you seem to have little idea of the weights etc and have no prior experience towing as you ask whether you need a TBC.

One thing you don’t need with this combination is a cdl. You are only up to a GCWR of around 20,000lb if my trailer guess is at the small light equipment level. But with the stickers I can’t be sure.
Here's the yellow sticker of the truck and of the trailer. Also a picture of the brakes - to me it seems that these brakes are only activated if the trailer accidentally detaches from the truck and the safety cable is pulled out. Or am I wrong?

Attachments

• 20210119_163909.jpg
    20210119_163909.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210119_163653.jpg
    20210119_163653.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210120_151120 (1).jpg
    20210120_151120 (1).jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 64

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not believe your trailer ia up to task. And once you get a trailer that is your truck will not be.

But stranger things have gone down the road.

As far as your brakes...is the plug a seven pin on the trailer. There is no way they sell a trailer over 5000lbs capacity without trailer brakes.

But things surprise me everyday.

Reaction score
I do not believe your trailer ia up to task. And once you get a trailer that is your truck will not be.

But stranger things have gone down the road.

As far as your brakes...is the plug a seven pin on the trailer. There is no way they sell a trailer over 5000lbs capacity without trailer brakes.

But things surprise me everyday.
It is 7-pin. I spoke with the "b-wise trailer" and they said the trailer has electric brakes and I do need trailer brake controller. I'm having it installed at the dealership once they receive the parts. I'm keeping the truck because I like it a lot and it's also my daily driver. Will either use the smaller excavator when I can or pay for delivery when over towing capacity. Thank you so much for your time to reply!

Attachments

• 20201205_100853.jpg
    20201205_100853.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 20

myles

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie Ecodiesel and ordered trailer break controlled to be installed by the dealership for $750 in a couple of weeks. My dump trailer is 6x12' rated at 10,000lbs. My plan is to tow a CAT 303 mini excavator. The excavator is around around 6,500lbs + 3,500lbs for the trailer puts the total at the 10,000 which is at the limit of the Ram. 1. Please tell me that I DO need the trailer break controller so I don't feel bad about paying $750 for it. and 2. Would you tow 10,000 lbs given that it's on the limits of the capacity. Should I trade-in the truck for 2500? Thank you in advance!
Dang, if you plan on towing that thing a couple times a week you should really consider getting a 2500, they have bigger axles, bigger bearings, bigger transmission..... you get the point, everything is built tougher.

But if you going with the 1500 get an extended powertrain warranty lol because your powertrain is going to be toast by 150k miles. That's a heavy a$$ trailer for this truck. But you will 100% need the brake controller. Being the ecodiesel and the laramie I would think you're going to be over the tow rating, i have the ecodiesel longhorn and my payload is 1430 and towing is 9700.
I had a 9500lb toy hauler and I wouldn't recommend towing that much every day for a 1500.

Croaker

Reaction score
How much will the trailer tongue weigh ?

As already mentioned, the Ecodiesel will only carry 1000 lbs plus a big boned driver.

Users who are viewing this thread