5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to verify Bilstein 5100 setting

MarkB67

Reaction score
Hopefully this will help someone else out. It was a long process today, but it got resolved. I have a Rebel, so it already comes with Bilstein shocks, and the spring seat sits on the same snap rings that are used for the stock shock as well as the 5100s. (Stock shocks only have one groove for the snap ring, but the 5100s have 7 different grooves to allow height adjustment. Setting #5 is just the fifth groove).

As others have pointed out, Bilstein sends an adapter for non-Rebel models that allows the non-Rebel factory spring seats to sit on top of the snap rings. This should be discarded for Rebel models. In my case, the shop did Not do this and instead installed the adapters with the spring seats (on position #5), so it was pushing the front end up very high. I explained to them that the spring seat sat directly on he snap ring and they said they could fix it, no problem.

3 hours later, they tell me they are about to do an alignment and that the truck is now completely leveled by moving the 5100s down to position #4 (41 1/4” in front and back). This still seemed odd, so I ask them if they removed the adapter, and they said “no” because it had to be used with the shock. ...

luckily I had copied pictures from some of the threads here and online, and was able to show them that the adapter wasn’t needed. Another 2 hours later and the adapter was removed and the snap ring back at position #5, but the spring perch was now upside down lol. What else would you expect at this point. We got that fixed and finally did the alignment. It now sits with .5” of rake, which is what most people have reported.

Here she is, sitting at 40 3/4” up front and 41 1/4” in the rear.
View attachment 56059
View attachment 56060

Here are some of the pictures I used. The arrow is pointing to the adapter that had to be removed.
View attachment 56061
This is an excellent picture that shows the stock Rebel Bilstein shock with the spring seat and snap ring.

View attachment 56062

I will say that the shop worked with me on this and made it right without trying to charge me anything else. I’m sure they never want to see my truck again though lol.

As far as the ride, man it’s awesome Now!! With the adapters and high front end, it was rough as hell. I was regretting messing with the trucks suspension at all. So I was very happy to find that after correcting the problem the smooth ride is back! Also, I have no rubbing on stock sport 22s with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50s (no spacers). I didn’t have to do any wheel well modifications.
You don’t have 1/2” of rake , you are most likely 1/2” -3/4” high in the front , get the truck on a level surface ( garage) and put a 4 ft level underneath the door sill and you will see what I’m talking about, the front fenders on these trucks are not cut out as high as the back making the truck look like it has more rake than it actually does , when I got my bilsteins installed both fenders were exactly the same measurement from the ground and I thought the truck was nose high and to confirm this I put the level under the door sill and confirmed this

apexodus

Reaction score
Why not just drop the shock adjustment down 1 notch?

You certainly could, and if you noticed in my summary the shop actually did that before I made them correct it. For me, I didn't want an unnecessary adapter being used that wasn't designed for the rebel spring seat. I have no idea what kind of problems that may could cause later.

SColang22

Reaction score
It looks like it is on the correct setting, I just ended up being high in the front. Now I need to look at a spacer for the rear I guess.... Always more money lol.

I found a pic going through the 5100 thread that shows there are 7 rings. Thanks for the response!
View attachment 55933
Yea if you don’t have a spacer in the rear you need one. Setting 5 lifts about 3.5”. To level it only takes 2in

FLArebel

Reaction score
Hopefully this will help someone else out. It was a long process today, but it got resolved. I have a Rebel, so it already comes with Bilstein shocks, and the spring seat sits on the same snap rings that are used for the stock shock as well as the 5100s. (Stock shocks only have one groove for the snap ring, but the 5100s have 7 different grooves to allow height adjustment. Setting #5 is just the fifth groove).

As others have pointed out, Bilstein sends an adapter for non-Rebel models that allows the non-Rebel factory spring seats to sit on top of the snap rings. This should be discarded for Rebel models. In my case, the shop did Not do this and instead installed the adapters with the spring seats (on position #5), so it was pushing the front end up very high. I explained to them that the spring seat sat directly on he snap ring and they said they could fix it, no problem.

3 hours later, they tell me they are about to do an alignment and that the truck is now completely leveled by moving the 5100s down to position #4 (41 1/4” in front and back). This still seemed odd, so I ask them if they removed the adapter, and they said “no” because it had to be used with the shock. ...

luckily I had copied pictures from some of the threads here and online, and was able to show them that the adapter wasn’t needed. Another 2 hours later and the adapter was removed and the snap ring back at position #5, but the spring perch was now upside down lol. What else would you expect at this point. We got that fixed and finally did the alignment. It now sits with .5” of rake, which is what most people have reported.

View attachment 56059
View attachment 56060

Here are some of the pictures I used. The arrow is pointing to the adapter that had to be removed.
View attachment 56061
This is an excellent picture that shows the stock Rebel Bilstein shock with the spring seat and snap ring.

View attachment 56062

I will say that the shop worked with me on this and made it right without trying to charge me anything else. I’m sure they never want to see my truck again though lol.

As far as the ride, man it’s awesome Now!! With the adapters and high front end, it was rough as hell. I was regretting messing with the trucks suspension at all. So I was very happy to find that after correcting the problem the smooth ride is back! Also, I have no rubbing on stock sport 22s with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50s (no spacers). I didn’t have to do any wheel well modifications.
I have a 2020 rebel and had the 5100s put on all 4 corners this morning. Had the fronts set to 5 and put a 1” motofab spacer in the rear. Despite the spacer I’m .25” high in the front. Rides like s$&t. I found this thread when I got home. They used the adapter. You and this thread saved me a ton of headache. I’m bringing it back Monday to get the adapters removed. Thank you VERY much for clearing this up for the rest of us.

Marinevb1986

Reaction score
Yea if you don’t have a spacer in the rear you need one. Setting 5 lifts about 3.5”. To level it only takes 2in
So to be clear, on my 2019 1500 Laramie, non ORP I should use the #4 setting to achieve level? So much information on here that I’m a little confused and I’d really like to get it right the first time. I’m going to run 275/65/20 after my level is done. Any help is appreciated

jburden59

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie has a 2" difference from front to back. Per the Bilstein install manual using setting 5 with no ORP you would still have a 1/4" difference/rake in theory.

Attachments

• Cir_Clip Setting.JPG
    Cir_Clip Setting.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 140

Marinevb1986

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie has a 2" difference from front to back. Per the Bilstein install manual using setting 5 with no ORP you would still have a 1/4" difference/rake in theory.
Thx. #5 sounds like what I want

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx. #5 sounds like what I want

Had them put on two days ago...#5 non ORP

af2301bda756c6771417fbc5e49e2d4a.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigdumps

Reaction score

View attachment 56059
View attachment 56060

View attachment 56061

View attachment 56062

Hey sorry to revive this old one.
I've been reading and learning a ton on this forum. Going back and forth between lifts/levels Mopar BDS etc.
First, beautiful truck, I have the same OEM 22's and plan on keeping them with whatever tire I choose. So it's good to see.
I have a 2020 Sport non orp. Do you only have the 5100's installed on the ORP rebel? No spacers, top or preload?
I really like your ride height and tire size! How much of a lift did you get out of the bilsteins to fit 35's?
I was going to order the Readylift 2 inch level with UCA'S and put 5100's upfront only ring 3. and 5160s in the back. I really want a nice ride quality, nothing to stiff or bumpy. Any advice would be great

merdon1332000

Reaction score
The new Bilstein 5100s are actually lifting higher than the instructions say, my Bighorn is about 1/2" higher than it should be on setting#6 , but what most people don't understand is that just because your fenders might measure the same that means the truck is 1" higher in the front, put a 4 ft level underneath the doors and you'll see for yourself
How's the ride on #6?

merdon1332000

Reaction score
Yeah. Pulled a tire and checked mine today. I put my Bilsteins all the way up on that 7th ring (the back is lifted too). See how the bottom of my spring is around the 5th ring? Yours is ~1 RCH higher than that since the spring seat is different. So whatever these are when maxed out, 2.7/2.8/whatever, yours is up higher than that.
I used the stock spring seat from my stock strut. My Bilsteins didn’t come with their own spring seat. I assume the Rebel comes with a different lower spring seat for some factory lift.
how's your ride on #7

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
I'll be leveling mine which is a non orp 21 ram 1500.

I'm going with setting 6 for the bilstein 5100s on the front with stock springs. The rear will have bilstein 1" springs with new rear 5100 shocks as well. Anyone have their front 5100s on setting 6?

My install is the 15th. The goal is to keep just under an inch of rake. The stock rake is currently 2 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread