5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check engine light

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
Hello,
I had a check engine light come on at 4800 miles in my ED 2020 rebel. Brought it in and the egr cooler was leaking. New cooler is in but the national shortage of o-rings might have my truck down multiple months.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Wow that sucks....hope it gets fixed quicker than a couple of months ! Did your dealer put you in a loaner?

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
Thats what they are saying is it could be up to 3 months. Dealer did set me up with an enterprise rental car. Dodge journey :rolleyes:

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
But if it is the back order on o rings I’m not sure I’m in a better place doing that.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Probably correct, hopefully they checked around with other dealers to see if they stocked them.

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
Messaged corporate today to try and see if I can get some info. My dealer has been impossible to get in touch with for an update. If it’s much longer I might be able to lemon law it. New Mexico says 30 business days counts as such.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a wildly known and experienced problem and not an isolated issue. It is good for dealers to call around which is how I was able to get my '15's EGR installed in a couple of days but going through the supply system it's taking months.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,
I had a check engine light come on at 4800 miles in my ED 2020 rebel. Brought it in and the egr cooler was leaking. New cooler is in but the national shortage of o-rings might have my truck down multiple months.
Free new truck after 1 month.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Messaged corporate today to try and see if I can get some info. My dealer has been impossible to get in touch with for an update. If it’s much longer I might be able to lemon law it. New Mexico says 30 business days counts as such.
Talk to people who have gone that route, I have not but I cant believe that it's cost or aggravation free. First, they will likely stop your rental as soon as they are notified of the action. I don't know how long it takes to get through the process but it cant be quick. I think that they give you retail minus mileage but I'm really not sure and I'm just suggesting you look at all aspects of this before going that route.

You don't really have a lemon from the perspective that you have a truck with lots of problems, it's a supply issue. I might try to get a rental more comparable to what your truck is.

Just my 2 cents

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
That’s a fair assessmen. I think if I went that route id just ask to try to get put in a new truck. And agree its not a lemon per say. But the way the states law reads it has that timeframe in the shop regardless of how many issues.

I think I’d be ok with a real comparable loaner/rental.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a fair assessmen. I think if I went that route id just ask to try to get put in a new truck. And agree its not a lemon per say. But the way the states law reads it has that timeframe in the shop regardless of how many issues.

I think I’d be ok with a real comparable loaner/rental.
I may be wrong, I dont think they just give you a new truck...it might be more like a buyback. Certainly they have to depreciate it for mileage and any damage.

I would hate to have mine in the shop as my payment is just short of 1k but if I could get a comparable rental I'd convince myself that I'm driving around on their dime and at the end of the day, say it was 3 months at 1500mi a month, that, that was that amount less wear and tear and mileage on my truck for what amounts to just being pissed off...I could live with that ;)

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
Good thing for me if that were the case i bought the truck august 29th and dropped it at the shop oct 22. So less than 2 months and 5k miles. No damages to it. So “wear and tear” for 5k miles.

if be ok either getting mine back or paying the difference and getting the hud and the camera rear view “mirror”

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you don't ask for a new truck. you tell them to get you one or buyback yours, which is a full buyback, as if you never bought it, less usage. all taxes warranties, addons, interest, everything gets refunded.

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
I’m about at that point. Finally got my truck back dec 5th (dropped off oct 23rd)

two weeks later cel back on and the egr solenoid failed. ( dealer had the part and I was out in 2 hours)

and now I’m sitting in the dealership currently for another cel ....

Users who are viewing this thread