5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally! A Throttle Controller!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok! So some of you know that we had a huge discussion on throttle controllers. Some of them that I was considering were..
Banks Pedal Monster
DigiPower Speed
JMS PedalMax

Ultimately my decision came down to ease of use during driving, warranty, USA made and customer service.
Although I came very close to DigiPower Speed controller for their price, customer service and ease of use...they do not have one for the 5th Gen RAM... YET.
Now the Pedal Monster seemed like a great product with the safety features...it only comes with a 1 year warranty and terrible customer service. I scratched that off the list.

I went with the JMS PedalMax which checked all of the boxes including a 3 year (unrestricted) warranty.
Installed last night... drove 120 miles from AZ back to Las Vegas today and it's great! Not only did it actually feel like I had better throttle response...certain areas of driving I was getting better mpg (conservative driving). It wasn't until I set the controller (analog dial) above the 25% mark where I started feeling a real difference. Once I got past about 55%...it was a little much lol. If anyone is going to spend $ on a throttle controller...I highly recommend the JMS PedalMax. Wish I had one when I owned my Charger RT lol.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good to hear that you’ve found one that works to your satisfaction and then some. :)

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Does the JMS PedalMax have the built in safety features that are built in the Banks Pedal Monster?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the JMS PedalMax have the built in safety features that are built in the Banks Pedal Monster?
From what I understand...the PedalMax doesn't have the same safety features since it doesn't get any additional power from the 12V OBD port. The thing that made me scratch my head with the pedal monster was that if it was that safe and "reliable"...why only a 1 year warranty? Plus...they didn't want to answer any of my questions when I emailed them.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do these products do exactly?
GHI is correct...it not only sends the signal to the ECU/throttle body quicker but it also sends a slightly higher voltage signal depending on the setting. So the higher the setting...the slightly more voltage it sends. I found out that the pedal signal actually gets sent directly to the throttle body...AND to the ECU simultaneously. We originally thought it gets sent to the ECU first...but that's not the case.

Steele713

Reaction score
I just installed on 2019 Ram 1500. Works great. Throttle is very responsive with just a light touch. Put the hammer down and it gets to the higher rpms in a damn hurry over a stock pedal to the floor. It opens your throttle body so much fast, thus getting you into higher rpms so quick. Love just turning a dial to get the desired % of increase or decrease. Simple and straightforward. Definitely not a gas save at higher settings, but I do think it can be at lower settings with a steady smooth pedal. I have to try that out once I stop mashing the gas pedal using my new pedalmax toy...fun fun

Jwedding1989

Reaction score
How does it feel at take off? Does it take the lag out off the line? I'm looking at some myself and amp'd 2.0 and pedal monster were my 2 I was considering.

Steele713

Reaction score
I actually prefer the Ultimate 9 throttle controller. Has more options, but I just keep it on adapt and it is perfect. Has launch, race(ultimate9 mode), valet, eco, and also a lock(theft) mode, which when set the vehicle will not start, factory mode and more. Ultimate X(their newer version).
Very easy to navigate. I do not use the app as there is no need for that

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How does it feel at take off? Does it take the lag out off the line? I'm looking at some myself and amp'd 2.0 and pedal monster were my 2 I was considering.
they all do pretty much the same thing..I have a "Pedal Commander". They take over the regulating of how fast your throttle body opens, the result can be almost instant response, with zero lag, IF you want that. there are multiple settings which mostly just regulate how much delay there is in throttle response. But some settings are too much. I tried mine in "Sport +" when I first got it, and it was crazy..wayyyy to jerky off the line, not comfortable at all....after trying a few settings, I went with pretty much a middle setting, which takes almost all the lag out, but doesn't snap your head back when you leave a red light...

Steele713

Reaction score
I had jms pedalmax but prefer the ultimate 9 with having other modes that are actually usable

Julio13

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the banks pedal monster work with Tazer dt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rambo57bts

Reaction score
I installed the Pedal Commander and also have it set to Econo Mode. However, there's still an initial lag off the line (sometimes a stutter), and it still has a delay when trying to accelerate out of a turn.

Dewey

Reaction score
I installed the Pedal Commander and also have it set to Econo Mode. However, there's still an initial lag off the line (sometimes a stutter), and it still has a delay when trying to accelerate out of a turn.
I thought it would fix that as well but it doesn’t. My truck seems much better as time goes on. Maybe the throttle is calibrating to my driving style. It was horrendous when brand new. With the Pedal Commander the throttle lag is much less noticeable the higher you go but anything over City is just far too sensitive for daily driving especially in snow. Mine lives on City+2 right now. Seems about perfect. I drove one day on Eco. Boy did that suck.😆

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
they all do pretty much the same thing..I have a "Pedal Commander". They take over the regulating of how fast your throttle body opens, the result can be almost instant response, with zero lag, IF you want that. there are multiple settings which mostly just regulate how much delay there is in throttle response. But some settings are too much. I tried mine in "Sport +" when I first got it, and it was crazy..wayyyy to jerky off the line, not comfortable at all....after trying a few settings, I went with pretty much a middle setting, which takes almost all the lag out, but doesn't snap your head back when you leave a red light...
Haha, you are right about the high settings. I bought a 300 SRT and thought I just couldn't drive the thing right. Then I saw a cable sag down from under the dash. There was a pedal commander stashed up there. The guy had it on the highest setting. I loaded the app and adjust it via Bluetooth now. I have a more sane setting that is easier on tires.

Steele713

Reaction score
Haha, you are right about the high settings. I bought a 300 SRT and thought I just couldn't drive the thing right. Then I saw a cable sag down from under the dash. There was a pedal commander stashed up there. The guy had it on the highest setting. I loaded the app and adjust it via Bluetooth now. I have a more sane setting that is easier on tires.
The ultimate 9 set to adapt "learns" your driving and is very responsive off the line, around turns, etc. It is not to much, feels like how the ram or any car should respond. If you want to to jump off the line, put it to launch. Want to save gas put it on eco. Want to go back to factory, set it to factory. Want to disable it from being started put it in lock mode. Valeting car put it to valet. If you have ot hidden away and out of view, then the app is good, if not then you dont need the app. All settings are simple as a push of a button to get to mode you want

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is the ultimate 9 the same as this just more expensive?

Throttle Response Controller, 9 Drive Modes Smart Electronic Throttle Controller, Racing Accelerator,for FORD LAND-ROVER/Land-Rover/Lincoln/DODGE/CHRYSLER/JEEP https://a.co/d/bNzNCLs

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/