5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

sppb32

Reaction score
About the grounds... i too have my ground in the seat bolt but i tested it before opting for that, sanded the bracket and floor down to the bare metal and it had very little resistance, in some vehicles you can use them others not, in my GMC Envoy i had 2 x 1/0 gauge on two of the back seat bolts and i was running close to 10K watts never had a problem, but you need to test the resistance between that point and the battery or alternator case.

406Rebel

Reaction score
I’ve been skimming through the posts but figured I’d ask. Does anyone have the info on the amp for the alpine system as far as what power it’s delivering to the door, dash and headliner speakers? What the filters are set at (mainly the mids )? I’m adding an amp and subs for under the rear seat. I’ve already updated all the speakers outside of the headliners. Wondering if I should eventually add an aftermarket amp to run them... Also wonder so I know what to set my LPF at for the subs. Thanks

sppb32

Reaction score
I’ve been skimming through the posts but figured I’d ask. Does anyone have the info on the amp for the alpine system as far as what power it’s delivering to the door, dash and headliner speakers? What the filters are set at (mainly the mids )? I’m adding an amp and subs for under the rear seat. I’ve already updated all the speakers outside of the headliners. Wondering if I should eventually add an aftermarket amp to run them... Also wonder so I know what to set my LPF at for the subs. Thanks
You better off get the bypass module and a new amplifier for the main speakers, the headliner speakers are surround speakers and the back doors are fill in, too much power on them and it kills the front stage, front doors and dash are the most important ones.

406Rebel

Reaction score
You better off get the bypass module and a new amplifier for the main speakers, the headliner speakers are surround speakers and the back doors are fill in, too much power on them and it kills the front stage, front doors and dash are the most important ones.
Thanks. Any recommendations on how you’d hook everything up? Reason I was trying to keep factory amp was to be able to still control everything off the factory head unit and maintain the ANC functionality

sppb32

Reaction score
Thanks. Any recommendations on how you’d hook everything up? Reason I was trying to keep factory amp was to be able to still control everything off the factory head unit and maintain the ANC functionality
You can still use the factory amplifier for the back doors, headliner and center channel with the PAC AP4-CH41 but you have to run new wires to the front doors and dash, it's easier than it sounds it took me less than 1 hour to wire my 4 channel amplifier and put all the trim back.

406Rebel

Reaction score
You can still use the factory amplifier for the back doors, headliner and center channel with the PAC AP4-CH41 but you have to run new wires to the front doors and dash, it's easier than it sounds it took me less than 1 hour to wire my 4 channel amplifier and put all the trim back.
I thought that’s what the PAC APH-CH01 was for. Allows you to run an amp to speakers of your choosing and leave the rest running off the factory amp. What amp did you end up going with for the front door and dash speakers and how’s it sound?

sppb32

Reaction score
I thought that’s what the PAC APH-CH01 was for. Allows you to run an amp to speakers of your choosing and leave the rest running off the factory amp. What amp did you end up going with for the front door and dash speakers and how’s it sound?
I'm using a Polk audio PAD8000.4 and PAD1000.1 for the subwoofer, very powerful amps and sound great.

pmegason

Reaction score
I added the ANC bypass and nothing changed. Decided to check the polarity and that was the issue. Box works great now. Not sure if I needed the bypass or not. I will take it out and hook up ANC back up this weekend to see if it makes a difference.
So I took out the ANC bypass harness and I drove maybe 30 feet before the the speakers stared making a loud humming noise. You definitly need the bypass harness. With out the ANC hooked up though the truck is noticeably louder inside.

dtlrshp

Reaction score

Re: amping front doors and dash. I am assuming that you put the dash speakers and the door speakers on their own channel. Do you need DSP to tune them? I think the corner dash are wired in series with the door speakers. What about the center dash speaker?

GWillings

Reaction score
I will be bypassing the ANC all together. Using my loop back harness from NET Audio that I had in my 4th gen, ordered the ANC bypass from Net Audio today and the owner told me he will get that done ASAP. Then I will be installing my Audio Control LC-4.800, Taramps BASS 800.1, DS18 pro-x6.4bm in the doors, pro-tw120 in the dash and DS18 GEN-X104D subs. Just have to wait for the box. I want a ported box for this truck. As for road noises, not worried about it as I wont be hearing it.

GWillings

Reaction score
Bullet tweeter dropped right on in, just like it did in the 4th gen. OEM 3.5" was an 8 ohm (base 6 speakers), my bullet tweeters are 4 ohm.

Attachments

• 20200914_155024.jpg
    20200914_155024.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 77

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this part number on my ANC/Amplifier 68369633AG

Can anyone verify which wiring diagram I should follow out of the ones supplied on page 2?
Depends on the stereo you have. Here's an easier way to verify what you have:

1. Base Audio (6 speaker) - no label on the dash center grill cover. Use the Audio System Base PDF.

2. Alpine Audio (10 speaker) - 'Alpine' label on the dash center grill cover. Use the Audio System Premium 1 PDF.

2. Harmon/Kardon Audio (19 speaker) - 'Harmon/Kardon' label on the dash center grill cover. Use the Audio System Premium 2 PDF.

Last edited:

Dmanindfw

Reaction score
6 Speaker Base with Hemi and ANC. I just wanted to bring some impact to the system so at least for now, I just added an amp and a subwoofer. I was looking for sound quality and accuracy. Musical taste - rock, classic rock, metal, and a bit of country (but not too much). Went with a sealed box for a smoother response and less concern of needing to tune things with a port. I was originally looking for a single 10" but due to not much of a cost difference I went with a single 12".

Subwoofer: A single Dayton Audio Reference HO Dual Voice Coil 12": https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315ho-44-12-reference-ho-dvc-subwoofer--295-467
I went this direction as I have an older Dayton Titanic Mk IV 15" in a DIY box driven with 600 watts for home theater duty. It's been a stellar sub that has held up to a lot of abuse over the years (10+ at this point I think.) Dayton's are fantastic subs and at a very reasonable cost for what you get. For the price, the big name car audio brands can't really touch the Daytons for sound quality and value.

Amplifier: Alpine MRV-M500 - 525 at 2 ohms mono. A good value and a good match for the Dayton. https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-MRV-M500-V-Power-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00BMR7UPS

Box I went cheap and because some of the popular boxes are either not available right now, or are ported which I didn't want. They likely wouldn't have been tuned correctly for my sub anyhow. They offer 10" or 12" dual sub boxes: . Thought of building my own but due to a lack of a table saw, and the many angles I would have to cut, it made sense for me to go pre-built. http://www.qpowerinc.com/details.aspx?product_id=20192

The box left me with a weird design challenge as I was going to cut it in half since I only wanted to run a single sub and have some space for underseat storage. As there is a pattern on the front of the box, I instead decided to leave as is, except I cut the top off of the second half to keep some storage and for a place to install the amp and have easy access to it's controls and wiring. This also allowed me to keep the look symmetrical and more concealed. The center divider in the box wasn't well sealed from the factory, so some construction adhesive and wood glue was needed to truly seal it up tight.

I completely bypassed the ANC with the iDatalink bCH3: iDatalink bCH3. Super easy to use and preserves the factory wiring for the ANC if I ever want to go back to stock. Frankly I have noticed zero difference without the ANC but then again I do have Carven exhaust and now some bass. Even with the stereo off, still not a difference without the ANC that I can hear.

I did not use a LOC or DSP. I just used the high level inputs of the amp. Maybe not the best way to go but I was trying to keep costs low and frankly it works great.

This setup really impressed me with it's accuracy and impact. I have the gain on the amp turned down quite a ways to blend better with all of the factory door speakers but it really rocks. You can FEEL the kick drums and hear all of the bass notes clearly and they are well defined. This is no one note wonder. I absolutely love it. I suspect at some point, I'll add in a 4 channel amp and upgrade the door and dash speakers but for right now, mission accomplished.

Wiring still needs some clean up and some wire loom but this is how it sits thus far.

20200924_182511.jpg 20200924_182543.jpg 20200924_182627.jpg 20200924_182634.jpg 20200924_182640.jpg

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About the grounds... i too have my ground in the seat bolt but i tested it before opting for that, sanded the bracket and floor down to the bare metal and it had very little resistance, in some vehicles you can use them others not, in my GMC Envoy i had 2 x 1/0 gauge on two of the back seat bolts and i was running close to 10K watts never had a problem, but you need to test the resistance between that point and the battery or alternator case.
its what i did also

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

its what i did to.the dash and rear ceiling speakers are run off the stock amp! as for the doors,i ran wire from the doors to the 5ch amp (y)

Last edited:

805myth1

Reaction score
its what i did to.the dash and rear ceiling speakers are run off the stock amp! as for the doors,i ran wire from the doors to the 5ch amp

I also used a 5 channel pioneer but used it to power the dash, headliner and a 12" sub. And I used a 4 channel for the doors.

20200917_081432.jpg

20200917_100356.jpg

T.O.1234

Reaction score
Just some food for thought regarding the anc and Aftermarket amp/subwoofers. After testing the polarity of my speakers I noticed that they are all negative polarity. I flipped the wires and they made the humming bass noise. The same noise my sub makes if I put it in with the anc active. I’m guessing the anc will work on a sub if the speaker polarity is negative like the other speaker. Most likely won’t sound very good but I haven’t tried it yet as my sub/amp is an enclosed unit. And not that easy to disassemble. If anyone tries this let’s us know your results.

Users who are viewing this thread